Fit By 30

Options
Today is my 29th birthday! Yay! Aside from a happy birthday to me, I want this to be the official start of my weight loss marathon. I want this to be a total and full lifestyle switch for me as well (not just a diet). I want to be at a healthy weight by this time next year. I have already lost 12 pounds and have 90 pounds to go. Is it realistic to lose 90 pounds over 17 months? I feel it is because I would only need to lose 5 pounds a month over that time.

Do any of you have words of wisdom or advice as I approach this long haul?

Replies

• emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • georgann1114
    georgann1114 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Not unrealistic at all but don't beat yourself up if one month doesn't exactly go as plan. I would stay away from the scale the first month. Take Day 1 measurements and than again on Day 30. Then every 30 days after that. The scale is sometimes your worst enemy. Feel free to add me and I can motivate you throughout your awesome journey :) I started mine in Feb 2013, so far have lost a total of 25 pounds and 27 inches. It is also important to remember that it is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Indulge every now and then with food you love, just do it in moderation. You can do it!
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    Bump
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!

Yes its possible to loss 90 lbs in 17 months. Take it slow and easy and you can do this.

I use a fitbit to monitor my daily activities so I know what I have burned just by living my life and a HRM to determine how much I have burned doing fitness. Between these two devices I have a good idea of what I burn everyday and then I eat around 500 cals less than that. So far this has yielded at least a 1 pound a week loss every week since I started in April.

Drink water, eat your cals, do your exercises and you can do this.
  • sarm1977
    sarm1977 Posts: 9
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Setting a goal is a great way to motivate yourself. Plus you've picked a great app/website to help you along the way. Personally I've lost 54lbs in 6 months, but I'm a guy and sorry to say it, you ladies have a tougher time of it. Not to dispair though. I think your goals are good.

As far as my advice on using myfitnesspal, be honest with the information you put in, and good results will happen. Weight loss does not happen by entering data in a website/app, it happens when you make good choices each and every time you eat. The app will just help you to better track your results. Also, I like to plan my meals out. This gets easier with time, but if you know exactly what you are going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 2 snacks, enter it all first thing in the morning, so you know what your day looks like. That way if you know you're close to your goal, you can add in some extra exercise, or cut back on one of the servings. If you enter everything you at before bed, and you find yourself over your goal, it's too late.

Best of luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's reasonable to lose 90 pounds in 17 months, if losing 90 pounds is reasonable. 5'5 woman moving from 240 to 150, for example, is very reasonable vs 200 to 110.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I started getting big into getting fit right before my 29th birthday as well. I haven't quite reached my weight goal, only about half way actually, but I've made quite a lot of gains the mean time. From never running at all, to now being able to run 5k with no trouble...and soon to complete both a quarter and half marathon by the end of this year. I've discovered I'm far stronger than I thought I could be.

Don't lose sight of smaller accomplishments along the way and enjoy you last year of your 20's! Happy Birthday!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
    I am turning 30 in September and about this time last year I decided I was really going to make a push for a healthy 30. I didn't have a lot to lose so got to "goal weight" fairly quickly but have been spending the last several months works working on strength and always trying to learn more about nutrition. Set a reasonable deficit, make sure you are eating enough calories as well as protein and fat to fuel yourself, honestly log everything, and work towards small milestones. I suggest strength training if you aren't doing that already. It may result in a slower loss on the scale but can really change your body in a great way.
    It's great to have a goal, and 90 lbs. could be attainable for you, but don't get too hung up on the number. If you've lost 60 lbs by next July, rather than getting upset at being 30 lbs off goal, celebrate that you are 60 lbs smaller (and that much healthier) than you were last year. Like you said, you want this to be a lifestyle change so it's not going to stop at a certain number.
    Good luck on the year ahead!
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. I will certainly try to follow all the pointers you all gave.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Take pics along the way. The scale may not reflect the changes that are really happening. As for losing 90 pounds? IT is hard to say. It depends on how close you are to optimal the lower you go.

Body fat percentage is way better than the scale. Keep taking measurements!