This is why we always tell you to use grams and not cups!

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    edited June 2016
    Virtually every pasta has a 2 oz/56 grams serving size dry.

True, but what I was pointing out was that the weight of one cup, for all of those people that insist that because the label also says 56g equals 1 cup, isn't always the case. They insist they can't be underestimating their calories because they used a level cup. But this shows that one level cup is NOT always the 56g that the package claims. It happens all the time.
  • Wynterbourne
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    You have the same scale that I have!

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.

Is that the oxo scale with the pull out display?

Yeppers. I got the one with an 11lb capacity. They also make a 5lb one.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.

Do you love it? I was looking at that one but wondered whether the pull out would be more likely to break
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Great post OP. Weigh your food people!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

It's the America's Test Kitchen top pick for digital food scales. I have the 11 pound one as well. The five pound capacity one is half the price.

Do you love it? I was looking at that one but wondered whether the pull out would be more likely to break
    The pull out doesn't seem at all fragile.

Now, can anyone tell me how to make grams the default when it turns on?
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member

This, exactly this.
  • Wynterbourne

Very much so. I've had it for a very long time and haven't had a problem yet.
  • Wynterbourne
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's the America's Test Kitchen top pick for digital food scales. I have the 11 pound one as well. The five pound capacity one is half the price.

The pull out doesn't seem at all fragile.

Now, can anyone tell me how to make grams the default when it turns on?

Strange, for me it's always stayed with whatever it was set to when it turned off. I wonder if some of them were 'defective'.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member

Oh, it's the best thing I have EVER bought. I'm so much more excited and eager to log recipes now. The small one I had before was so frustrating. The screen itself is sturdy feeling and I don't worry about it. I have only had to use it once so far because it's simply set up so well that I can see it under nearly every dish I own. I highly recommend it!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Does the scale time out after a few minutes? The five pound scale is only ten more dollars than the one I want and a longer display would definitely be worth it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Does the scale time out after a few minutes? The five pound scale is only ten more dollars than the one I want and a longer display would definitely be worth it.

The one I have lasts 6 minutes, so it definitely stays active during my whole process of cooking. I adore it SO much. I wish the initial advise to people is "buy a damn good scale, it's an investment worth the bells and whistles" because the frustration over my cheap scale definitely kept me from being accurate because I hated to use it for anything but single ingredients. Even then it didn't seem consistent. I'm so happy, never been happier with dropping $50 at once. I'm frugal as heck!
  • Wynterbourne
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

I just timed mine. Mine lasted three minutes. However, when I turned it back on the weight that had been displayed before it turned itself off reappeared.
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    What I find interesting is that the cup amount (the 80g) is probably a more reasonable portion of pasta than 56g. UK packages of pasta mostly list 75g as a portion.

So I think that packaging is really giving you a correct and reasonable serving size of one cup but then (in my view deliberately) understating the calories.
  • Wynterbourne
    Boofuls wrote: »
    What I find interesting is that the cup amount (the 80g) is probably a more reasonable portion of pasta than 56g. UK packages of pasta mostly list 75g as a portion.

So I think that packaging is really giving you a correct and reasonable serving size of one cup but then (in my view deliberately) understating the calories.

Coincidentally, it's just been recently announced that our nutrition labels are getting an overhaul. Multiple articles have stated that a "more realistic" serving size is one of the changes that will be addressed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    and that's why we keep banging on about the use of a food scale :smile:
    and definately weigh when pasta is dry, just think about how much weight would be added with the water its cooked in! it aint rocket science folks. :blush:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I looked at a packet today to see what info we have on oour UK labels with regards to weights. And it seems it's usually the serving size (so 28g, or for bacon approx two grilled slices for a couple of examples) then the 100g values.

It's interesting to me how it varies!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    I looked at a packet today to see what info we have on our UK labels with regards to weights. And it seems it's usually the serving size (so 28g, or for bacon approx two grilled slices for a couple of examples) then the 100g values.

I work as a regulator in the UK food industry, and the regulations controlling what goes on a label (in the UK and EU) are about as woolly as you'd expect! There are certain things that are tightly controlled - ingredient lists, especially allergens, any nutritional content (percentages of fat, protein etc), and the quantities of everything per 100g, but things like serving sizes are determined by the manufacturer. Some, like pasta, rice etc, seem to settle on an industry wide 'accepted' amount, but this isn't prescriptive. The classic cases of pack sizes reducing, and the price staying the same, are a contributing factor in the whole 'what's a single serving?' issue.

The fact that, in the UK, there is so much confusion over the various 'traffic light' labels - because there's not a standardised version, is pretty indicative of how confusing product labelling is. Even the government/NHS websites are resolutely unclear on serving sizes - they still continue to use the 'handful' amounts for fruit/veg quantities, which is (IMO) daft, or calculating bread in 'slices', when bread sizes vary wildly. It's really unhelpful!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    I looked at a packet today to see what info we have on our UK labels with regards to weights. And it seems it's usually the serving size (so 28g, or for bacon approx two grilled slices for a couple of examples) then the 100g values.

I work as a regulator in the UK food industry, and the regulations controlling what goes on a label (in the UK and EU) are about as woolly as you'd expect! There are certain things that are tightly controlled - ingredient lists, especially allergens, any nutritional content (percentages of fat, protein etc), and the quantities of everything per 100g, but things like serving sizes are determined by the manufacturer. Some, like pasta, rice etc, seem to settle on an industry wide 'accepted' amount, but this isn't prescriptive. The classic cases of pack sizes reducing, and the price staying the same, are a contributing factor in the whole 'what's a single serving?' issue.

The fact that, in the UK, there is so much confusion over the various 'traffic light' labels - because there's not a standardised version, is pretty indicative of how confusing product labelling is. Even the government/NHS websites are resolutely unclear on serving sizes - they still continue to use the 'handful' amounts for fruit/veg quantities, which is (IMO) daft, or calculating bread in 'slices', when bread sizes vary wildly. It's really unhelpful!
    I wonder if they're trying to use measures that enough of the population would find relatable and easy to implement. Seems like they should provide both the "handful" simplification and weights!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member

True, but what I was pointing out was that the weight of one cup, for all of those people that insist that because the label also says 56g equals 1 cup, isn't always the case. They insist they can't be underestimating their calories because they used a level cup. But this shows that one level cup is NOT always the 56g that the package claims. It happens all the time.

Oh, of course. But I have no idea where people were getting the cooked idea from. It said on the label a serving size was dry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Oh, of course. But I have no idea where people were getting the cooked idea from. It said on the label a serving size was dry.

It's because it's pretty much on every 'serving size' list out there that one serving of pasta is one cup cooked (which is really not accurate either). So I was just mentioning that it makes no sense that the label would mention one cup dry in the first place.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,324 Member
    This is why I no longer eat back exercise calories.. by the time you factor in my human error in counting..the mfp errors in estimating exercise calories burned..and the fact that nutrition labels and restaurant claims of calories are legally allowed to be 20% off… you can diet forever without losing! Therefore I exercise and don't eat those calories back..knowing I'm most likely overeating even though I'm counting.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's because it's pretty much on every 'serving size' list out there that one serving of pasta is one cup cooked (which is really not accurate either). So I was just mentioning that it makes no sense that the label would mention one cup dry in the first place.

I've only ever seen dry serving sizes on labels, never cooked.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    I think it's only the USA (correct me if I'm wrong) that uses cups. It's a little frustrating when I'm looking up receipies online and it will tell me one cup of something. Just tell me in grams and/or ml (not oz!!)
    You Americans are weird with your farenheit temperatures, gallons, ounces and cups of stuff
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I think it's only the USA (correct me if I'm wrong) that uses cups. It's a little frustrating when I'm looking up receipies online and it will tell me one cup of something. Just tell me in grams and/or ml (not oz!!)
    You Americans are weird with your farenheit temperatures, gallons, ounces and cups of stuff

North america in general does I think...in Canada we use cups/tbsp etc on some of the labels
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

North america in general does I think...in Canada we use cups/tbsp etc on some of the labels

Ah ok. Canadians too then. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    I was sure I'd seen cups on Trader Joe's pasta labels and when I searched Google images for "trader joe's pasta nutrition" sure enough I see a whole range, including cups in various quantities, some say cooked and some do not say.