Your jobs !

Options

Replies

• Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Desk job here but I walk 1.5 miles each way from main line train to office and if my husband doesn't take me to the train station that's another mile each way. My computer is set to the printer furthest away from my desk so I have to walk each time I print and I make sure I take a short walk hourly I'd I can. If I need to talk to a colleague I walk to their desk rather than email. I am very luck, gym is in the same building and my boss doesn't mind what time I take my break so quite often get my workout done around 10am. Also at least once a week I have a meeting out of the office and try to walk rather than take the underground.
  • Tkayuk
    Tkayuk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    University lecturer and writer, so I sit a lot unless I am actively teaching, and then I pace for two hours! I used to go to the gym, but it was a 3-hour block of time (to get there, work out, then get home, shower and eat). My schedule just didn't allow for it, so I have bought a rowing machine and kettle bells, plus I do lots of body-weight moves. Plus it's a 30-minute walk to the train station, then a 15-minute walk to campus; so some days I get in an hour of walking plus the stairs, etc., at work.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am a Civil Engineer who designs and builds beaches. Sedentary while in Office but often on site where I walk a lot in the sand.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Currently desk job and mum so fairly active when not at work chasing after my little one!
    In September I'll start my midwifery degree so I'll be really active, 12 hour shifts running between wards, beds, delivery suites and birthing rooms and in and out of theatre. Going to be exhausted, exciting though!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Desk miner here. I get up every hour to do a short 5 minute walk just to get moving b/c sitting too long cause my hip flexors to get tight. But I also have to work a few events each month for my job which is very active, climbing stairs, walking at the speed of light, I never leave for the night after an event is over without 10-15k steps. I don't really consider it to be a workout, so I make sure I workout 3-4 times a week especially since that isn't always a weekly thing.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too! I walk every day at lunch with one of my colleagues and I have two massive dogs who don't take well to not being walked every night, so they motivate me to get up and go. I can't currently do anything else, but as soon as I get the green light I will be doing 6 am yoga class and starting C25K all over again!!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Desk job but I work for a sports company so there's a lot of support for exercising here, people go run or bike at lunch, go to the gym downstairs. I don't do that, I work out before and sometimes after work. And I am fidgety, LOL.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Engineer - desk job - sedentary. But when I go home I ride the trails or work on our farm. It all averages out.

BTW - the best total body workout I can do on the farm is clearing fields/cutting trees down and dragging it to the burn piles. Since I want to keep my number of hauls to a minimum, you load up the haul/dragging to as much as you can possibly handle. EVERYTHING is sore after a day of dragging things. It is worse than putting up hay.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm an engineer with a desk job. I either sit at my desk and fidget or I stand in the lab and spin the chair in circles, and if I have to talk to someone I walk to their cube. If I do have to travel between buildings I walk (1 mile round trip), which is about once per day.

As for after work, I either play with my kids, do stuff around the house, lift weights in my garage gym (3x/week), play Ultimate (1x/week summer/fall) or ski (1x/week winter).
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Desk job but I hit the gym and do cardio in the morning.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i'm a teacher so i'm on my feet most of the day (try teaching a classroom full of 4th graders sitting down- it doesn't work). then i come home to be a mom for a few hours, so also on my feet then as well.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Desk job, but I do print to the furthest printer that I can. I am also one to go to someone's office and ask a question instead of calling. At lease it gets me up and moving. I usually have around 5,000 steps before the end of the work day and then I hit the gym, then I come home and walk the dog. If it's not too hot or too cold, I will go walk at lunch.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Mostly deskjob - I walk to and from work 4 days a week (5th is working from home), which takes 50 min each way. Most of my walking at work is to and from meetings and the printers and I can get irrationally happy if with workign to work and within the building I already hit 10K steps.
    I alos love going for long (some very long) walks/hiking
    I start every weekday morning with a 20 minute workout (yoga and weights), plus I cycle often, then 20-40 km and go to the gym at least once a week and I just discovered you tube workouts.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Caregiver. Sometimes it's very sedentary other times it's extremely active. I've been spending at least 5-6 days a week at the gym for a couple hours. I worked up from 30 minutes walking on treadmill to 45 then now on 60-65 minutes completely 5Ks. :) Slow but I'm improving slowly but surely.
  • Merrycherryo
    Merrycherryo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet quite often. Now that it's summer, I like to lounge around and soak up the sun.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have an administrative desk job, and am a grad student to boot. Some days I am at my computer for 16 hours and in class sitting for 3 so I am 'sedentary'. I do pushups and squats in my office a few times a day when I get restless and always take a 30min walk at lunch, rain or shine. I also do Youtube yoga on my phone in random places when I have time to kill.
  • jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately a Desk job. 10 hours a day 4 days a week. I walk on my 2 15 minute breaks and then again for about 30 minutes on my hour lunch. We have yoga balls here that we can sit on vs a chair so sometimes ill balance on one for about 30min-1hour. I try to get at least 8k steps a day and workout about 3x a week doing cardio.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm an ER nurse, I am on my feet a lot for 50 hours a week. Recently, I've started running a few miles after shifts (I'm exhausted but it's a huge stress relief). I run or do a cardio/strength class on my days off. Try to life twice a week too. And I'm a mother to three elementary aged children. I'm never bored, in other words!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I am a Emergancy Room Nurse at a very busy hospital. Therefore I am on my feet and moving almost the entire 8 or 12 hour shift that I work. The computers are on carts with wheels so we don't even get to sit to chart anymore. I don't mind as I am very active even when I'm not at work so work is just a bonus workout for me, and I get to eat more during the day, lol. I usually workout after work since one of the gyms that I go to is on my way home. If I'm doing a HIIT workout, I usually fit that in before going to bed and getting the kids things ready for the next day of school.
  • SkullieBowPeep
    SkullieBowPeep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a project accountant with a desk job ... little to no movement during the day except on lunch break.
    Thinking about getting a fitness ball to sit on, just to have some sort of exercise boost during the day.