High metabolism

Options
37 yr old male weighing 150 at 5'11
Always skinny, looking to gain weight by building muscle. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Lift more stuff.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Typically, those who think they are hard gainers, just don't eat enough calories or the right types of food to enable growth. In other cases, they are just really active. Either way, the thread that dianne linked is a good starting point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    You're just eating enough to maintain. Eat more than you burn and you'll gain weight. If you want more of the weight to be muscle, than you add a progressive resistance lifting program to encourage muscle growth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Eat more food. Lift more "heavy" stuff.

Fixed it. :smiley:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    As you bulk you will gain some fat as well. Usually after you finish your weight routine and bulk people will cut to have more definition. Just have to look into how many calories you burn, then eat at a surplus. Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

I concur
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

this
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week.

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.

As for building muscle, get on a lifting program. Since you are a beginner (relative to lifting), most people including myself recommend something with Linear Progression - the weights steadily climb between sessions. Examples include: Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, ICF5x5, GZCL LP, Grey Skull LP, etc.

You are a novice - don't try to make your own routines and don't get bro-splits. Trust those who taught 1000s of novices like yourself.
    This will help