Snack before workout at Work

Options
Hello All! So i've realized an issue in my routine as I adjust to becoming an adult and not having access to good food everywhere.
So my schedule normally is breakfast around 7:45am, lunch around 12:15pm, find some kind of nutrition around 3-4pm and then go to either Martial arts for 2 hours which is a 1hr drive away and eat at 9:30pm or hit the gym and eat around 7:30pm.

So here my issue. I work a normal 9-5pm job and i'm really good about packing my lunch but i'm absolutely lost! on what to do for a snack around that 3-4pm time. I'm TRYING to not spend a ton of money. My usual is either hit Starbucks, Quickcheck, or Wawa and get some whole wheat egg or meat something. However, I dont want to get in a habit of spending money on those things when i could just bring something in.

Please let me know. I'm down for cooking and such just not creative enough to figure out what to bring.

HELP!

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My usual go to snacks are:

1) Greek yogurt, fruit, nuts (like banana and almonds)
    2) Apple and natural peanut butter
    3) Protein bar/shake... if I'm about to do a strength training workout after work
    4) Carrots or celery with hummus
    5) Mini sweet peppers and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge
    6) Dry roasted edamame

I have plenty more if you ever want to check out my diary! :bigsmile:
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here's what I eat for my afternoon snacks depending on what's in my fridge (which depends on what was on sale at the store!):
    1. raw pepper strips, carrots, or raw broccoli with salsa, homemade dressing, or guacamole
    2. plain greek yogurt with berries – I buy the big tubs of yogurt because it is cheaper and just throw some into a Tupperware with whatever berries I have on hand (strawberries, blueberries, anything would be good really).
    3. Cashews – I buy these from the bulk bin at my store. You just scoop some into your own bag
    4. Dried diced prunes
    5. Homemade jerky (easier than you think! Look up some recipes and use whatever meat is on sale at the store)
    6. Apple or celery and nut butter
    7. Strawberries (I always buy these on sale and freeze at least one of the containers so that I don’t waste food by letting it spoil)
    8. Canned tuna and avocado
    9. Homemade protein shake with almond milk, frozen fruit, baking cocoa, and protein powder
    10. Single serve frozen veggies
    11. paleoKrunch
    12. pepperoni slices
    13. pork skins
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Apples... they are mostly water.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat a slice of bread with ham or peanut butter ^^
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the gym from work, so my pregym at work snacks are typically an apple with some sort of nut butter and mini bellpeppers that I stuff with tuna or tuna salad. Super easy and tastey.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda getting off the Greek Yogurt train due to how it's processed and such but that's another discussion all together.

All the other ideas sounds really good. I'll have to look into the jerky one. The raw pepper strips, carrots, or raw broccoli with salsa, homemade dressing, or guacamole sounds delicous. Apple and natural peanut butter sounds yummy. I really either need to bring peanut butter or Hummus to work.

These are all really great ideas. Keep them coming! I need all the ideas i can get!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas already!

For my "before gym" snack I usually just drink coffee (I use almond milk in mine, I find regular milk or cream make me feel sick when I work out, though that might just be me), or try to have something that's mostly protein. Try a boiled egg? Boil at home the and just heat it up a little at work (assuming microwaves are an option). I also sometimes have protein bars/shake. But I can't eat anything too heavy before or I feel really sick when I work out (though I think the timing's you stick to are pretty good for something a bit heavier- but depends on you).
  • courtniemarie
    Options
    I'm kinda getting off the Greek Yogurt train due to how it's processed and such but that's another discussion all together.

Understandable. I only eat it on workout days (for the protein) and I get a plain local farm brand to reduce sugars and processing.

Boiled eggs are an awesome idea! careful reheating them though... I made that mistake. They're just as good cold :)
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Ooo, another one is avocado tuna salad... basically just substitute mayo for an avocado when making tuna and you can have it plain, with crackers, or with some veggies.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a boiled egg or 2 or some cold chicken breast with a little mayo for dipping, or I mix up a whey protein shake.
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    avocado tuna salad...... intriguing!! i'll have to try that. Tuna is not particularly my favorite but maybe i'll try it with some roast chicken or turkey. Hm......right now if i have avocados i'll make some guac and put into a sandwich or wrap. These are really cool.

I dont have protein shakes anymore because i have found that it makes me TOO bulky. Yea i know. I get the whey protein isolate. I'm a whole foods kinda gal. I'll use the whey in a pinch for a breakfast and ONLY after a workout if i dont have a lean meat around.

However, this is only my personal preference.
  • courtniemarie
    Options
    I dont have protein shakes anymore because i have found that it makes me TOO bulky. Yea i know. I get the whey protein isolate. I'm a whole foods kinda gal. I'll use the whey in a pinch for a breakfast and ONLY after a workout if i dont have a lean meat around.

However, this is only my personal preference.

Too bulky? Hm, typically, you have to eat massive amounts of food in order to get bulky. A protein shake once in awhile shouldn't do this. Interesting article on women getting "bulky" http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girls-get-your-guns-why-women-should-lift-weights.html
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    I'm not sure if my body reacts to it weird. When i was using the whey protein isolate i was lifting and doing martial arts all the time. GRANTED i was at college and it was dining hall food so maybe that was it as well. But as of right now i'm sticking to whole foods and using the whey in a pinch.

I Love Lifting :)