Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    My meals are measured. Like I eat an individual size yogurt for breakfast, salad purchased at same restaurant every day, etc.. My diet does not vary much. I know it is the alcohol. I cant fit food and alcohol into my daily log. It seems to be an either/or issue.

It is not so much a logging issue, because I can easily log the alcohol in the morning, but then I would have no calories left to eat. How can you fit food and alcohol into the daily calorie allotment?

You eat less or you drink less.

Right and my personal struggle is I like drinking better than eating, but then I get hungry...ugh. Maybe a happy split of 4- 500 calorie days, and then 3 -2300 calorie drinking days will be the happy spot.

I think you'd start to feel really run down and exhausted if you did this. Probably other bad side effects as well.

Do you enjoy any other physical activities other than walking? If so, pursue that. I like to drink, too, so I have to eat less but what helps keep me balanced in that regard is lifting. If I'm not getting enough nutrition then I can't progress and then I get frustrated. I feel strong and proud when I'm making progress in my workouts so I keep that in mind.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Spend a little more time at the gym/working out in some way.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I already feel run down and exhausted most of the time. But I think that is related to being a single parent of two, having a house full of pets, working 50 hours a week, managing a rental, maintaining a house on over 2 acres, and running kids to activities almost every night of the week.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have some difficult decisions to make.
  • Libby283
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Looks like you have some difficult decisions to make.

Yeah I have been struggling with making it for a few months, which is why I posted. My head says go with food..my heart says "where is my bottle opener?" The beer fridge is way more exciting than the food fridge at home.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You have an easy life. Why try to ruin it? Oh, you're Irish. I've got Irish ancestry too. So?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I already feel run down and exhausted most of the time. But I think that is related to being a single parent of two, having a house full of pets, working 50 hours a week, managing a rental, maintaining a house on over 2 acres, and running kids to activities almost every night of the week.

It's worth noting here that many people (including myself) notice that heavy drinking saps energy and a reasonable exercise program boosts energy.
  • stacieluvzneyoo
    stacieluvzneyoo Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use the water flavoring packets with my rum to cut calories. I use one 5 calorie pack with a cup of water and add 2oz of rum. It makes for an excellent low calorie drink! 130 Calories! I pick out flavors that I like to enjoy. (Strawberry Lemonade, Lemonade, pomegranate)
  • skinniersandycomingsoon
    Options
    I too have an issue sometimes with wanting to drink more calories than I'm allotted each day. I love wine, but find it better to have a vodka-diet lemonade. Less calories, and I can make it a "tall one" (lots of lemonade per shot of vodka) so in the end I don't end up drinking so many calories. My downfall is drinking while I prepare dinner - I can easily drink 3 big glasses of wine in that time, but just one or two vodka-diet lemonades. And if it's a day on the weekend when I know we'll be going out, I make sure I go for a longer walk or a bike ride - it doesn't necessarily take care of all the calories I'm drinking, but at least it's something, I feel more in control.

I get being busy, but it's amazing where you can fit in a few minutes of walking, or just go up & down a few flights of stairs or something. While my son practices soccer I can walk around a bit, or at home I'll go downstairs for something, then turn around and go up & down again. :) Get a fitbit or similar, it will encourage you to move more.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just cut down on your drinking?

Two entire bottles of wine? By yourself?? Honestly if that is the case then perhaps you need to seek help.

Party pooper... ;)

Seriously, I did cut out all alcohol for a year, but I drink socially and missed going out and drinking with friends. So I reintroduced it and I do want to keep it as part of my diet. I may not drink every night, but we can assume 3-5 nights a week, now that the weather is hot, I will be partaking in some drinks at the pool, bar, games, cookouts or other events.

If it takes 2 bottles of wine to hang out with your friends, I'd pick new friends. ;)

Seriously though, not only is binge drinking bad on your liver, it's bad on your waistline.

You say you're on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm going with probably not, as you stated you do not weigh or log. When you don't have a really significant amount to lose, (i.e, the 10-15 you gained), there's less room for error. I'd put the bottle down, pick up the kitchen scale.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its annoying to repeat but yea... moderation. if one bottle doesn't satisfy you then work out more. Im not here to tell you that you need to cut back because its not my place and i don't really care what you do. If you NEED to have those 2 bottles and you TDEE is low then work out more. pretty simple you know. If I want food or a drink and I'm already at my daily limit i move my *kitten* and make more room.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I eat slightly less during the week and 'save' calories for social times on the weekend.

I can understand how you can drink a couple of bottles of wine in an afternoon-evening event, I like wine but try not to drink at that level regularly! I don't like getting drunk or the calories that go with that much wine so I buy an early harvest or reduced alcohol wine or sparkling wine. I've found a couple I like and they are almost half the calories (and alcohol) as normal wine. Maybe try a few
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I drink daily and the only way I can make it work is to run at least 25 miles a week. If I run 10 miles or less I gain and 20 miles or more I lose. If anybody is wondering, during the week daily 3 oz. Scotch, 1/2 bottle wine and a beer. On the weekend same but more beer and a spicy bloody mary Sunday morning. Well, somebody has to make up for all the non drinkers on MFP.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Two bottles over four hours is a LOT.
    There is no answer to your question that will satisfy you. There are about 600 calories in a bottle of wine, so you drank 1200 calories, at least.

Look, you only have so many calories in your allotment. You can drink them, but then you can't eat them.
    Some people decide booze is more important, and they drink all their calories.
    And then you get malnutrition. It's actually one of the reasons alcoholics are often in often physical shape.
    I saw the outcome in my mother in law. It was really awful. Don't do that.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No judgement here. Your life, your liver. I drink vodka soda or limit to one glass of wine during the week. And I run and lift weights and save my deficit for the weekend. I also drink sparkling water or just water or iced tea or whatever between drinks when I know I am having a long drinking day.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You fit it in by not drinking 2 bottles on wine by yourself in one night! Gracious. The question is: what do you want more? To be slim/healthy or get sloshed every weekend? not the answer you want, I'm sure. But welcome to reality.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    You fit it in by not drinking 2 bottles on wine by yourself in one night! Gracious. The question is: what do you want more? To be slim/healthy or get sloshed every weekend? not the answer you want, I'm sure. But welcome to reality.

well techincally she could have both but it would require a lot of effort. my husbands tdee is around 3k a day and he doesnt work out. it depends how active she wants to be and how hard she can/will work. to say its not possible is wrong... to say its not probable is more likely.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I drink wine every night. I simply log each glass.

Right now, I am on a one month wine vacation, as I was diagnosed with an ulcer, so while recovering, my Dr wanted me to hold off.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    KiyaK wrote: »

well techincally she could have both but it would require a lot of effort. my husbands tdee is around 3k a day and he doesnt work out. it depends how active she wants to be and how hard she can/will work. to say its not possible is wrong... to say its not probable is more likely.

I never said it wasn't possible. Yes, if someone really wanted to drink to excess & also lose weight, it can be done. But judging from OP'S reaction to suggestions on this thread (aka, coming up with excuses for their behavior & why it can't change.) they're not willing to put in that work. At this point I'm wondering why they bothered to ask the question if they weren't willing to evaluate their behaviors & change something.

Keep doing the same thing, keep getting the same results. Yes, looking at your life & deciding where to make sacrifices sucks. But if it were easy to lose weight while drinking like crazy (or eating to excess) everyone would be skinny. Seems to me that OP has been given many good ideas here, but has then explained why they can't or won't do any of them. At this point they need to decide what's most important in their life & what they're willing to do/change to get there.

I think OP knows the answer, they just don't like it.
  • Libby283
    Options
    Why can't you just cut down on your drinking?

Two entire bottles of wine? By yourself?? Honestly if that is the case then perhaps you need to seek help.

Party pooper... ;)

Seriously, I did cut out all alcohol for a year, but I drink socially and missed going out and drinking with friends. So I reintroduced it and I do want to keep it as part of my diet. I may not drink every night, but we can assume 3-5 nights a week, now that the weather is hot, I will be partaking in some drinks at the pool, bar, games, cookouts or other events.

If it takes 2 bottles of wine to hang out with your friends, I'd pick new friends. ;)

Seriously though, not only is binge drinking bad on your liver, it's bad on your waistline.

You say you're on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm going with probably not, as you stated you do not weigh or log. When you don't have a really significant amount to lose, (i.e, the 10-15 you gained), there's less room for error. I'd put the bottle down, pick up the kitchen scale.

That was a family cookout!

I have been logging the last few days. I had one large margarita last night and was only over 200 calories for the day. Mathematically I just cant fit it all in. Sucks but it is what it is. Maybe I will give it up until I drop 15 lbs, then go back to drinking more and maintaining on a 1700 calorie diet.