Importance of breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean a breakfast meal, as breakfast is simply the first meal of the day, so if you eat as soon as you get up or 5 hours later, everyone still has a "breakfast" :)

everyone doesn't have breakfast. some people eat once a day. everyone in the world isnt the same. Sometimes I only eat a large dinner.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean a breakfast meal, as breakfast is simply the first meal of the day, so if you eat as soon as you get up or 5 hours later, everyone still has a "breakfast" :)

everyone doesn't have breakfast. some people eat once a day. everyone in the world isnt the same. Sometimes I only eat a large dinner.

I assume s/he means the literal meaning of breakfast i.e. breaking the fast since the previous day, as the Muslims do during Ramadan and the whole "wedding breakfast" thingy.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner around 7:00 and by the morning (and after my morning workout) I'm starving and wouldn't be able to make it to lunch if I wanted to. Eat if you need it. If you aren't hungry and you don't need the extra calories or protein, don't bother.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a conspiracy invented by the Cereal Companies. :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

My Top 5 Breakfast Cereals
    1 Sugar Crisp
    2 Crispy Critters
    3 Reese's
    4 Captain Crunch Peanut Butter
    5 Life

As a child, I was a cereal offender. All part of a balanced breakfast though!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    Breakfast just usually makes me hungrier, faster. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, unless I stuff myself, which I don't want to do.

Yep, exactly the same here. I try and put off eating for as long as possible. I just drink milky tea all morning, which manages to ward off the hunger monster.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yep, I believe the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" studies were funded by Kellogs :wink:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

1 - you will eat less calories throughout the day
    Not in my case... Sometimes I would blow most of my calories on breakfast and then be hungrier after dinner. I find I do best by eating whenever my body tells me to. That can be 6 hours after I wake up.

2 - your metabolism burns more calories throughout the day
    Not true. :)

So go ahead and eat whenever you like, or not. :smiley:

• adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Eh. Breakfast literally means "to break one's fast". It refers to not eating wbile asleep. So breakfast is technically very important, because one should eat at least one meal a day.

Joking and semantics aside, it's all down to the person. I hate eating when I first wake up. Actually, I hate everything when I first wake up. I'm an angry mute with a habit of slapping kitchen appliances for the first hour or so. After my first cup of coffee though, I'll eat a cheese stick or a cup of Greek yogurt (90-150 calories, whichever my stomach will tolerate) and that keeps my sugar stable (not diabetic, just hypoglycemia) until my stomach wakes up 3-4 hours later and food becomes a thing I enjoy again.

My roommate can not survive without breakfast less than an hour after waking.

To each their own. If hungry, eat. If not, dont.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Myth. All meals are important if you're trying to meet a calorie goal.

There is no scientific evidence to prove that eating breakfast increases one's metabolism versus one that doesn't if the calorie values at the end of the day are the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

That meal you have once a day, being the first meal you eat of the day is a breakfast in the literal sense. Just because you don't eat cereal or a traditional breakfast meal for that meal you automatically think it can't be a breakfast. The meaning of the word "breakfast" is break the fast of the night, meaning the first meal you eat be it in the morning or later in the day.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    For breakfast, every day, I have:
    3 bacon medallions
    1 egg scrambled
    1 cream cheese pancake (1 egg, 1 oz goat cream cheese blended and cooked in a blob of goat butter just like a pancake).
    337cals and it sets me up for the day. I get that 'ready brek glow' and I have no desire to snack during the day.
    I eat a small 200ish calorie lunch and a 300ish calorie dinner, plus an evening snack of 100ish calories.
    Breakfast is by far my best and most important meal of the day.

So you only eat 937 calories a day?

Pretty much. It seems crazy, but I am never hungry. All that protein and fat fills me up. I drink a ton of water.
    My weight loss is steady and consistent and I have tons of energy, enough to work out 5 days a week.
    I weigh and log everything, so I am not under counting calories or cheating. I think it helps that my husband and I both work from home, so we are not influenced by outside elements to eat anything other than planned. Everything I eat is homemade.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's so based on personal preference. I would go nuts without breakfast, but it seems from reading this that like 90% of people on here can take it or leave it, or even feel too nauseous if they eat too early.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

1 Sugar Crisp
    2 Crispy Critters
    3 Reese's
    5 Life

But what about Marshmallow Froot Loops, @85Cardinals?!? That's the all-time best.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

That meal you have once a day, being the first meal you eat of the day is a breakfast in the literal sense. Just because you don't eat cereal or a traditional breakfast meal for that meal you automatically think it can't be a breakfast. The meaning of the word "breakfast" is break the fast of the night, meaning the first meal you eat be it in the morning or later in the day.

thank you... I have a masters in nutrition I understand the literal word of breakfast. The OP was making a point of eating RIGHT WHEN THEY WAKE UP. I was stating that not everyone does this. some people don't eat until hours and hours after they wake up. yes we ALL understand the literal meaning of breakfast.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

thank you... I have a masters in nutrition I understand the literal word of breakfast. The OP was making a point of eating RIGHT WHEN THEY WAKE UP. I was stating that not everyone does this. some people don't eat until hours and hours after they wake up. yes we ALL understand the literal meaning of breakfast.

Where in OP's post do they say "right when they wake up" they just say breakfast, they don't state a time!
    scoii wrote: »
    I've always read that eating breakfast is important for 2 reasons:

The problem is that my lunch and dinner calories are reasonably constant whether I eat breakfast or not.

So is it worth eating a breakfast for metabolic reasons alone. If so, what is the minimum amount, is 2 belvita or equivalent with a brew enough.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

1 Sugar Crisp
    2 Crispy Critters
    3 Reese's
    5 Life

But what about Marshmallow Froot Loops, @85Cardinals?!? That's the all-time best.

I never tried those! Probably after my cereal prime.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    For breakfast, every day, I have:
    3 bacon medallions
    1 egg scrambled
    1 cream cheese pancake (1 egg, 1 oz goat cream cheese blended and cooked in a blob of goat butter just like a pancake).
    337cals and it sets me up for the day. I get that 'ready brek glow' and I have no desire to snack during the day.
    I eat a small 200ish calorie lunch and a 300ish calorie dinner, plus an evening snack of 100ish calories.
    Breakfast is by far my best and most important meal of the day.

So you only eat 937 calories a day?

Pretty much. It seems crazy, but I am never hungry. All that protein and fat fills me up. I drink a ton of water.
    My weight loss is steady and consistent and I have tons of energy, enough to work out 5 days a week.
    I weigh and log everything, so I am not under counting calories or cheating. I think it helps that my husband and I both work from home, so we are not influenced by outside elements to eat anything other than planned. Everything I eat is homemade.

937 calories a day? You do realise that 1200 is the bare minimum for women for proper nutrition, right?
    I can tell you a bunch of horror stories related to extremely low calorie intake, some personal from which I am still recovering from and some which I will never recover from. And, you may feel fine now, but down the line, this won't be the case... You're eating less than a toddler needs.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Where in OP's post do they say "right when they wake up" they just say breakfast, they don't state a time!
    scoii wrote: »
    I've always read that eating breakfast is important for 2 reasons:

The problem is that my lunch and dinner calories are reasonably constant whether I eat breakfast or not.

So is it worth eating a breakfast for metabolic reasons alone. If so, what is the minimum amount, is 2 belvita or equivalent with a brew enough.

I deduced that the person was talking about morning eating by their words. But maybe you're right, maybe they meant breakfast at noon, lunch at dinner, and dinner at 3am hence the "throughout the day".

Yeah, that's it.