Lemon and Hot Water

Options
I am a skeptic when it comes to these "miracle workers" but I've come to realize a few things about the fad of Lemon and Hot Water.

I usually drink about 3-4 16oz glasses of hot lemon and water/day. I started out doing it sporadically and didn't notice anything. For the past 2 days though since I've increased both the intake and my workouts.....it does work in some aspects.

#1 Metabolism/Body Temp. I have a very sediment job (desk job) and as of today, I've noticed that my body temperature has risen. Now I don't know if it's from the hot water itself but with the incorporation of lemon (fresh), it's noticeable

#2 It cleaned me out. Without getting too detailed, I weighed myself the other morning and weighed 183. When I was working out yesterday, I felt stomach cramps radiating from my stomach down into my abdomen. Called it quits with the workout (thinking that it was because of the amount I was doing). Went home and well...you know the story. Bottom line; I wanted to weigh myself afterwards (just curious) and weighed in at 179.6.......(whuuut?) I lost 3.4 pounds (give or take on the decimal).

I was actually scary to think that I did that in a short period of time. I did eat something afterwards (chicken w/ lettuce and tomato) and felt fine.

Has anyone else had these reactions to hot water and lemon? How long have you been doing it? Have you seen long-term results from drinking it?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Does your temperature rise when you drink other hot beverages? Then you can compare, see if it's the lemon or the fact you had a hot drink. Drinking lemon water doesn't speed up your metabolism if that's what you mean.
    There's not much fibre in lemon juice, so I doubt that would make you go to the toilet more often.
    I drink lemon water, simply to take my iron tablet as the vitamin C helps with absorption.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Does your temperature rise when you drink other hot beverages? Then you can compare, see if it's the lemon or the fact you had a hot drink. Drinking lemon water doesn't speed up your metabolism if that's what you mean.
    There's not much fibre in lemon juice, so I doubt that would make you go to the toilet more often.
    I drink lemon water, simply to take my iron tablet as the vitamin C helps with absorption.

I drink coffee in the morning like always and it doesn't do the same. I just felt warmer; it could be from the weather changing and my body is taking the effect on it (which I'm in A/C most of the day anyways, unless I step outside).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I drink room temperature lemon water before dinner.
    I believe it can aid in digestion of foods. (I have no proof).
    But that's about it.
    A glass of water a half hour before dinner also helps me eat less.
  • mysticwryter
    Options
    I drink room temperature lemon water before dinner.
    I believe it can aid in digestion of foods. (I have no proof).
    But that's about it.
    A glass of water a half hour before dinner also helps me eat less.

the glass of water before dinner does do the trick. I drink so much water during the day and I drink it before I workout, I don't really have an appetite. I mean I eat but it's not in a large amount.
  • wuvsdancin
    wuvsdancin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I heard from older workers that even plain hot water - I like the lemon - helps stomach issues by breaking down food faster. Also helps with joints they said. Hot water helps burn fat like hot water on candle wax I think-my experience is losing few lbs this week just by drinking hot water. Just my opinion.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This seems a little sketchy to me, waiting for the studies to come in. Glad it's working for you, original poster.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Some do drink a glass of warm lemon water in the morning, and it can have positive effects on your body. I don't though; drinking warm or hot water does raise body temperature and it also dehydrates you quicker.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything that has given me a laxative effect in the past. How is that pleasant?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    This reminds me of this thing that went around ages ago when I was on Weight Watchers. Drink your water very cold, because it burns calories to heat up in your body.

The warm water, the lemon, the cold water....none of this makes sense when it comes to physiology. It's woo.

Maybe we should just give ourselves infections that cause fevers so our body temperature is higher ;)
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Water + working out + taking an enormous crap caused weight loss, who would have thought that would ever happen? :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't drinking a warm glass of lemon water have the same effect as drinking a warm cup of coffee or tea?
    I'm unaware of any (magical) properties of lemon juice other than vitC
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't drinking a warm glass of lemon water have the same effect as drinking a warm cup of coffee or tea?
    I'm unaware of any (magical) properties of lemon juice other than vitC

A cup of coffee or tea would have more effect than a glass of lemon water. Coffee and tea at least have caffeine in them.

There's nothing mystical or magical about lemon water, contrary to all the woo surrounding it. It's water with a little lemon in it, not some kind of magic potion.
  • mysticwryter
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything that has given me a laxative effect in the past. How is that pleasant?

When you've eaten a lot of food and you just need to get rid of the bloat........it will help.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no science to it but if it works for you, then do it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,445 Member
    Options
    I would not do it. Think of what the acid in the lemon does to your teeth. Or to your throat if you happen to have problems with reflux already.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How did you measure that your body temp was raised by drinking the warm water?

Why do you attribute the rush to the bathroom to the lemon water and not something else you ate that disagreed with you?

Have you ever weighed yourself before and after pooping before?

You say you are normally a skeptic but then take two anecdotal and correlative factors as evidence?