Best Protein (Quality/Cost)

Options
ChxSurf782
ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
Hello all! I am nearing the bottom of the tub on my current protein, and am looking for suggestions paying particular attention to QUALITY and COST as primary factors. I skimped out last time and got Six Star protein...which wasn't awful, but I've had much better...

Any ideas on where I should invest?

Replies

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Quality of protein vs cost per serving, the best I've found (and rated as such on Labdoor) is MyProtein Whey Isolate (unflavoured, flavouring taints powders with carbs). https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • ChxSurf782
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    Quality of protein vs cost per serving, the best I've found (and rated as such on Labdoor) is MyProtein Whey Isolate (unflavoured, flavouring taints powders with carbs). https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

How do you consume it? By that I mean, if it's unflavored you can't just add water, put it in a shaker, and gulp it down, right?

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I like NSN chocolate
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a costco or sam's club?
    Find someone with a membership.
    Sams has muscletech and costco has gold standard on. Both good.
  • cronus70
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »

How do you consume it? By that I mean, if it's unflavored you can't just add water, put it in a shaker, and gulp it down, right?

No...that's disgusting. MyProtein do a range of calorie free flavour drops that can use to flavour your protein shake.
  • byrdy420
    byrdy420 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat your protien! I like turkey breastbtenders and tuna steak are some favorites right now they are all high protien and low calorie! Also fresh baked salmon is a good one a little higher in calories but it has lots of good fat and protien and its all clean!:) I'm a newbie at this though but I have a trainer giving me tips!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello all! I am nearing the bottom of the tub on my current protein, and am looking for suggestions paying particular attention to QUALITY and COST as primary factors. I skimped out last time and got Six Star protein...which wasn't awful, but I've had much better...

Any ideas on where I should invest?

All fairly similar, regardless of marketing hype. Find one you enjoy. A lot of people like ON, but I like Dymatize, Quest, Designer Whey, EAS or Muscle Milk.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

For me, Myprotein is the best combination of taste, quality and cost and it's not even close. If you keep an out for sales, you can get a 5.5 pound bag for $35-40 or an 11 pound bag for $55-70.
  • ChxSurf782
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

For me, Myprotein is the best combination of taste, quality and cost and it's not even close. If you keep an out for sales, you can get a 5.5 pound bag for $35-40 or an 11 pound bag for $55-70.

Perfect, gonna keep an eye out for this!

• merr1cose
    merr1cose Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I recommend JYM (available on bodybuilding.com). Great taste and no fillers.
  • cronus70
    Options
    merr1cose wrote: »
    I recommend JYM (available on bodybuilding.com). Great taste and no fillers.
    I use a lot of Jym products BUT the protein mix, although quality is massively expensive.

• cronus70
    Options
    byrdy420 wrote: »
    Eat your protien! I like turkey breastbtenders and tuna steak are some favorites right now they are all high protien and low calorie! Also fresh baked salmon is a good one a little higher in calories but it has lots of good fat and protien and its all clean!:) I'm a newbie at this though but I have a trainer giving me tips!
    'Clean' is a pointless buzz word, food is food. Eat or drink your protein, it's all down to personal preference. Time and money plays a massive part for me when I'm consuming 183+grams of protein a day.

• ChxSurf782
    Options
    'Clean' is a pointless buzz word, food is food. Eat or drink your protein, it's all down to personal preference. Time and money plays a massive part for me when I'm consuming 183+grams of protein a day.

She has obviously never tried to consume over 120g of protein a day on "clean" foods alone. If she has, she's either rich or a ridiculously good hunter who has a never ending supply of lean animal meats.
  • psuLemon
    Options

She has obviously never tried to consume over 120g of protein a day on "clean" foods alone. If she has, she's either rich or a ridiculously good hunter who has a never ending supply of lean animal meats.

120g is really not that hard. A 8oz chicken breast alone is over 50g, which for a guy, is a fairly standard portion.

But I guess is how are you defining clean foods.
  • ChxSurf782
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

120g is really not that hard. A 8oz chicken breast alone is over 50g, which for a guy, is a fairly standard portion.

120+ a day on "clean" or "whole" or "natural" foods alone is a substantial barrier for many people, financially speaking. Protein powders offer maximum benefit from the macronutrient at a noticeable cost per serving savings from things like chicken breast. Can I hit that goal on occasion without supplementation? Sure. But I'm not in the category than can sustain that level of clean/whole/natural food intake *daily* to meet my macro needs.

• psuLemon
    Options

120+ a day on "clean" or "whole" or "natural" foods alone is a substantial barrier for many people, financially speaking. Protein powders offer maximum benefit from the macronutrient at a noticeable cost per serving savings from things like chicken breast. Can I hit that goal on occasion without supplementation? Sure. But I'm not in the category than can sustain that level of clean/whole/natural food intake *daily* to meet my macro needs.

Potentially for some its' an issue, but when i was tracking, it wasn't an issue to even hit 150g+ from pretty much whole sources (meats/fish, legumes, nut butters, eggs, greek yogurt).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Chicken breast is a great source of protein. In fact, I eat it almost every day. However, I'm not going to eat it three times a day.

Meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc.), greek yogurt/dairy, beans, grains, quinoa, etc. as well as protein powders are all good sources of protein that make up a balanced diet.
  • cronus70
    Options
    If you have the time and money to eat 3/4 meals a day, eating your protein goals without supplementation then more power to you, I don't. I don't like eating heavy first thing in the morning I will have a shake, my vits and some weetabix. I work in a busy kitchen and typically I won't eat while I work unless I'm seriously hungry so the bulk of my eating is in the evening which is an even shorter space of time when I've worked out for an hour (which also has the added crux of me losing my appetite for a while after training) and that's not even including inconvenient life interruptions like the kids. If I don't supplement protein shakes during the day then I'm cramming most of my protein requirements in in the space of 4/5 hours....not healthy.