How to start bulking?

Options
I'm 18, M, 135lbs and 5'8". I worked hard and lost A LOT of weight. I was 220lbs last year. Anyways, I wanted to bulk up but I have mp idea how and I have a fear of gaining fat again and being overweight again. I do 2 upper body workouts a week, 1 for lower legs, 1 for abdominals and 1 for cardio. The other 2 days are breaks.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    1) Eat. As in, more than you need to maintain your weight.
    2) Follow a legitimate, time-tested beginner lifting program, such as StrongLifts or All-Pro's beginner. Heck, just go check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks (i.e. calculate your TDEE level and stay there for a while).

Then go on a bulk. Since you are afraid of fat, you can do a slow bulk. Go at TDEE+250 calories = gain of 0.5lbs per week or 2lbs per month. I know those who are afraid of fat gains but still need to bulk to build muscle choose this method - you gain muscle slower but much less fat gets added.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks (i.e. calculate your TDEE level and stay there for a while).

Then go on a bulk. Since you are afraid of fat, you can do a slow bulk. Go at TDEE+250 calories = gain of 0.5lbs per week or 2lbs per month. I know those who are afraid of fat gains but still need to bulk to build muscle choose this method - you gain muscle slower but much less fat gets added.

Thanks! One more thing, what would be good for my macros? Currently at 50% carbs 20% protein and 30%fat
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Put food in mouth.. but for real just use a calculator on some site to find ur bmr. Then eat like 250 above that. Don't worry if u jump like 5-10 pounds real quick it's just ur body storing more water/glycogen. Then u can monitor ur weight gain after but stay consistent for the first while even if you gain a lot quick. As for macros it's mostly just what u like. Your not a bodybuilder preparing for the stage, just get ur protien in (body weight in grams(about)) and obviously do get ludicrous with fats.
  • butterbuns123
    Options
    I also came off a huge weight loss (260 down to 165) and I was terrified I was gonna gain it back and panicked all the time when starting my bulk.
  • butterbuns123
    Options
    Don't*** for the fat thing oops lol
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    Put food in mouth.. but for real just use a calculator on some site to find ur bmr. Then eat like 250 above that. Don't worry if u jump like 5-10 pounds real quick it's just ur body storing more water/glycogen. Then u can monitor ur weight gain after but stay consistent for the first while even if you gain a lot quick. As for macros it's mostly just what u like. Your not a bodybuilder preparing for the stage, just get ur protien in (body weight in grams(about)) and obviously do get ludicrous with fats.

Alright thanks for the info! I'll try my best not to panic aha. For now I'll set a custom calorie goal to my TDEE and add 250 calories to that.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Alright thanks for the info! I'll try my best not to panic aha. For now I'll set a custom calorie goal to my TDEE and add 250 calories to that.

Just to specify, do NOT use your BMR (Basal metabolic rate)- this is the calorie amount of just living and breathing (aka just existing).

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is how much you actually use in a day - it accounts for activity level,age,height,weight,etc.

Just nitpicking now, because you said you will be doing TDEE + 250. That's good, be consistent and let the gainzzz flow!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Get on a proven program as well that has structure. Everyone always talks about a caloric surplus, but that surplus will be a lot more beneficial if you're doing something that is optimal if not more than optimal in the gym. Track your lifts and weight to make sure you are progressing
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Just to specify, do NOT use your BMR (Basal metabolic rate)- this is the calorie amount of just living and breathing (aka just existing).

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is how much you actually use in a day - it accounts for activity level,age,height,weight,etc.

Just nitpicking now, because you said you will be doing TDEE + 250. That's good, be consistent and let the gainzzz flow!

Yeah my TDEE is somewhere near 2350 and I've added an additional 250 calories to that. Thanks for 2x checking though :p
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And yea, clean bulk at around 250 over maintenance. Lift heavy stuff!