Split personality disorder: only one of us is willing to diet

Options
A co-worker was explaining to me the difficulty of having Dissociative identity disorder - Including trying to diet.

Very hard to relate to but found it interesting.

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    haha, I hear that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I thought most people get split on deciding whether to eat better. B)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can relate. It often feels like you're two different persons at once, wanting different things at the same time. No wonder - different parts of the brain have different responsibilites. It may sound funny, and it's a joke - that disorder may or may not be a clear/real diagnosis, but it has nothing to do with ability to stick to diets. There's a grain of truth in every joke though: Changing habits will only work if you can find a compromise you ("both of you") really can live with, not just tolerate. You can tolerate almost anything for a while. Then it backfires - hard.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can relate. It often feels like you're two different persons at once, wanting different things at the same time. No wonder - different parts of the brain have different responsibilites. It may sound funny, and it's a joke - that disorder may or may not be a clear/real diagnosis, but it has nothing to do with ability to stick to diets. There's a grain of truth in every joke though: Changing habits will only work if you can find a compromise you ("both of you") really can live with, not just tolerate. You can tolerate almost anything for a while. Then it backfires - hard.

Yes, Jag (my co-worker) does not find it funny either, however he very open about talking about it. His disorder is strong enough cause memory loss and finds it hard to track when he's "not himself".

He teases me that it's half the battle for me. I just found it interesting.

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a loved one with dissociative identity disorder. And before they managed to 'merge' as it were, one personality was loved to drink and party, the other was as straight arrow as they come. (Guess which one borrowed my designer dress and which one returned it completely trashed...). I can't imagine what it would be like if one of them had decided to diet! Fortunately, my friend has been through years of therapy and mostly 'merged', but before we figured out what was really wrong, it was insane.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this but a little differently, since my issue is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Much of the time my mind wants to do something but my body refuses or my mind has to rest but my body is ready to do something. They only sync approximately 1/4 of the time, so I rarely feel that my body & mind're attached, it's like having physical parts of 2 separate people; being made into 1.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Me before 4PM is a very good dieter. Me after 4PM wants to eat everything in sight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    Me before 4PM is a very good dieter. Me after 4PM wants to eat everything in sight.

Haha Ditto to this!