Do I HAVE to eat after a cardio workout?

Options
Sometimes my days are quite busy and I can't get to the gym until 7pm or so. I don't like eating that late so I'm wondering if it's crucial for me to eat something after a cardio workout?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No. Eat when you're hungry.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    How about drinking? Perhaps something like a protein shake would at least give your body a little nutrition at the same time as you are re-hydrating.

It is completely your decision and there is no exact right or exact wrong way to go about doing things, though if you have just stressed your body and especially if you have been breaking down your muscles, then that protein will go a long way to helping your muscles not only repair but to also become stronger.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to eat anything after a workout. However, getting a little protein in you afterwards can help prevent muscle breakdown for energy or assist in muscle repair. This is more detrimental with lifting than it is with straight cardio but it all depends on how hard you pushed your body. Is your concern with eating that late related to digestive problems or are you just afraid of putting food in your stomach when you don't plan on being active shortly afterwards? If it's a digestive concern, that's understandable. If you're just concerned about digesting food while your asleep, ease your mind on that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not if you've eaten enough through the day.
  • Suspended_User
    Suspended_User Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You should, yes. There is a window after cardio exercise (roughly equivalent to the length of the workout) when your body is trying to replenish your glycogen stores. This is one of the only times (besides during exercise) your body will effective use carbs. Giving it some carbs (not loading or stuffing it, just some) will help this process and speed recovery. In my opinion, protein shakes that are low carb after a workout are misplaced. Building muscle after a workout is a long process that last well into the next day, and can/should be supported later. Replenishing glycogen stores should be a bigger priority just after a cardio workout.
  • Plunderedsoul
    Plunderedsoul Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you eat during the day, and have breakfast early in the morning (a hearty breakfast preferably) it shouldn't be absolutely vital that you eat after cardio workout. It depends also on your goal, however. If you're trying to add muscles, you might want to cram something with protein down.
    But if it's that you get nauseated when you eat that late, maybe one of those protein drinks would be better? There's this thing on the market called protein water. I have not tried it yet, but to just have a chug of that along with regular water might at least prevent you from feeling like you're dying from starvation in the morning and going to consume your entire fridge in some kind of frenzy. Not that I've ever done something like that *sweats nervously*
  • SkezzaShredder
    SkezzaShredder Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this depend what time of the day it is though? Like if you have a heavy workout in the morning, then in my opinion, eat quickly afterwards because you might crash and become very hungry. That's when you're likely to binge. However, late at night? Maybe some 0% natural yoghurt or tofu, just enough to get you to bed. By the time the morning comes, you'll be ready for food and you won't have binged.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes you must eat or all the protein supplement salesmen will be out of a job.

(Serious answer - no it's not at all crucial.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No, its not crucial to eat after a workout. Just make sure you are reaching your allotted calories though but it doesn't matter when you have them.
  • SkezzaShredder
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm a great protein salesman. I can sell you pure protein.... and to make it better, I disguise it as chicken :smiley:
  • sijomial
    Options

I'm a great protein salesman. I can sell you pure protein.... and to make it better, I disguise it as chicken :smiley:
    I find chicken very hard to squeeze into my protein shaker. Maybe I should try slaughtering it first?
  • SkezzaShredder
    Options

I find chicken very hard to squeeze into my protein shaker. Maybe I should try slaughtering it first?

Odd... maybe your protein shaker is broken? Mine go in no problem, feathers n'all?
  • sijomial
    Options
    We really should collaborate on my new diet & exercise book.....

"The Clucking Easy Diet and Fowl Wrestling HIIT Workout for 6-pack Abs in Just 5 Minutes a Day."
  • SkezzaShredder
    Options
    Sounds spot on to me ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    We really should collaborate on my new diet & exercise book.....

"The Clucking Easy Diet and Fowl Wrestling HIIT Workout for 6-pack Abs in Just 5 Minutes a Day."

I'll happily send you my bank details to pre-order that bad boy!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, yes. If not, no. My blood sugar almost always drops if I excercise for more than an hour and I have to eat something.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to - I never eat afterwards unless my cardio happened to be right before dinner or weekend breakfast. I don't suffer for it, and in fact I've noticed that it keeps my appetite at bay longer than those days I DON'T work out in the morning.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well. Eventually you're going to want to eat- so yes?

but there isn't a set time to eat- just eat when you're hungry.
    After I do cardio I'm famished- so I want to eat all the things immediately after- but that's just me- and I'm weird like that.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry after then don't eat.