Bench press - arching the back

Options
2»

Replies

• PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Much more stable, that is, until that guy made my try to do less of an arch. Then it got wobbly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For somebody not competing, or training to compete, what is the advantage in using a technique not aiming to maximize recruitment or range? Genuine question.

Shoulder safety, greater stability.

Number of back injuries I've personally had or even heard about on bench: 0
    Number of shoulder injuries or pec tears I've heard about on bench: tons

^ Yes that's anecdote of course.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i didn't read all the posts, but arching your back isn't really like you are arching your back. Its basically the form your back takes on when you get full body engagement. when you squeeze your lats, lock your shoulders down, drive with your legs, squeeze your glutes etc, your back will naturally arch up like that. thats why the arch. its a great position for max strength.

Thanks! I'm squeezing my shoulder blades together, imagining that I'm pressing the bench away from me to avoid lifting my shoulders, and keeping my feet flat on the floor. I feel like my back is assisting also. I know I'm not a pro, but I really feel like my bench press is much more stable and powerful since getting better at all that.

The thing is, even if I don't do anything, my back has an arch, too much, which I'm trying to correct.

arching isn't bad, keep your whole body tight. also dont rest your butt on the bench, push up with your legs, your butt should be barely touching the bench but not resting or relaxed on the bench, and glutes squeezed tight.. That might help with leveling out an unintentional arch.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I arch because the combination of my arch, grip width, and touch point maximizes my strength while minimizing the stress placed on my joints. It's an aggressive arch, but by no means is it extreme.

How much you can arch is a function of how lax your spinal ligaments are. I just spent a week watching the best raw benchers in the world and saw everything from flat no arch to how on earth do you even bend that way.
  • PocketPoodle
    Options
    i didn't read all the posts, but arching your back isn't really like you are arching your back. Its basically the form your back takes on when you get full body engagement. when you squeeze your lats, lock your shoulders down, drive with your legs, squeeze your glutes etc, your back will naturally arch up like that. thats why the arch. its a great position for max strength.

Thanks! I'm squeezing my shoulder blades together, imagining that I'm pressing the bench away from me to avoid lifting my shoulders, and keeping my feet flat on the floor. I feel like my back is assisting also. I know I'm not a pro, but I really feel like my bench press is much more stable and powerful since getting better at all that.

The thing is, even if I don't do anything, my back has an arch, too much, which I'm trying to correct.

arching isn't bad, keep your whole body tight. also dont rest your butt on the bench, push up with your legs, your butt should be barely touching the bench but not resting or relaxed on the bench, and glutes squeezed tight.. That might help with leveling out an unintentional arch.

Thank you! Will definitely try that next time!

• PocketPoodle
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    For somebody not competing, or training to compete, what is the advantage in using a technique not aiming to maximize recruitment or range? Genuine question.

Actually, I did feel more wobbly when trying to arch less. A shoulder injury is one of my biggest fears, I'm a pianist :D

• PocketPoodle
    Options
    I arch because the combination of my arch, grip width, and touch point maximizes my strength while minimizing the stress placed on my joints. It's an aggressive arch, but by no means is it extreme.

How much you can arch is a function of how lax your spinal ligaments are. I just spent a week watching the best raw benchers in the world and saw everything from flat no arch to how on earth do you even bend that way.

Wow, cool!

I was actually really happy that my bench felt better and easier, so I was a bit bummed.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Actually, I did feel more wobbly when trying to arch less. A shoulder injury is one of my biggest fears, I'm a pianist :D

People often tell me I have a really huge pianist.

But more to the main point in case this helps:

For powerlifting clients I will have them arch as much as possible such that they are still competing within the rules of the competition AND assuming this results in more weight moved.

For clients who are interested in maximum bench press strength I will do the same.

For clients who do not have the goal of building the biggest bench they can, I will STILL have them meet the following criteria:

1) SOME arch, the degree of which determined by their mobility and comfort levels, but generally I don't want them completely flat backed.
    2) Scapula retracted and shoulders packed firmly into the bench
    3) Feet firmly planted into the floor and remaining there throughout the press
    4) Chest elevated (pushed UP towards the barbell)
    5) Butt planted on the bench

This will look different from person to person. For some that's going to be a very small lumbar arch, for others it might be "moderate" but it's not going to be a large arch where I'm trying to stuff them under the bench.

• PocketPoodle
    Options

For powerlifting clients I will have them arch as much as possible such that they are still competing within the rules of the competition AND assuming this results in more weight moved.

For clients who are interested in maximum bench press strength I will do the same.

For clients who do not have the goal of building the biggest bench they can, I will STILL have them meet the following criteria:

1) SOME arch, the degree of which determined by their mobility and comfort levels, but generally I don't want them completely flat backed.

This will look different from person to person. For some that's going to be a very small lumbar arch, for others it might be "moderate" but it's not going to be a large arch where I'm trying to stuff them under the bench.

Hah! :Do:)

And thank you so much! I might try to make a video and post it in the form critique thread.
  • SideSteel
    Options

And thank you so much! I might try to make a video and post it in the form critique thread.

Feel free to do so. Sometimes I miss new posts in that thread so feel free to PM me when you post and I'll take a look.
  • PocketPoodle
    Options

Feel free to do so. Sometimes I miss new posts in that thread so feel free to PM me when you post and I'll take a look.

Thank you, and will do!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I did have some SI joint issues (still an issue sometimes), and back then, my physical therapist told me to bench press with my feet on the bench. But he also had me bench press in the smith machine...

If a medical professional tells you to bench with feet on the bench, i would listen to them over us. ;)

If you choose to arch, make damn sure your abs (which counteract the arch) keep a consistent level of contraction, especially on the last rep. It's natural to try to increase the arch suddenly when struggling, and that sudden movement could cause one to "throw out" their back, if they are prone to those things, as you may, since you have SI joint issues.

By the way, arching essentially turns the movement into a decline bench press, which activates more of the chest because the fibers of the muscle mostly point downward, as you can see here. If you want to be safe about it, just do a decline bench press and it will accomplish similar results as arching. :+1:
  • PocketPoodle
    Options
    Yeah, she did mention in the end to keep the rear on the bench. I had something like this in mind when I was whining fund-arch7.jpg

I don't think I reach quite that level of arching ;)

• PocketPoodle
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I did have some SI joint issues (still an issue sometimes), and back then, my physical therapist told me to bench press with my feet on the bench. But he also had me bench press in the smith machine...

If a medical professional tells you to bench with feet on the bench, i would listen to them over us. ;)

If you choose to arch, make damn sure your abs (which counteract the arch) keep a consistent level of contraction, especially on the last rep. It's natural to try to increase the arch suddenly when struggling, and that sudden movement could cause one to "throw out" their back, if they are prone to those things, as you may, since you have SI joint issues.

By the way, arching essentially turns the movement into a decline bench press, which activates more of the chest because the fibers of the muscle mostly point downward, as you can see here. If you want to be safe about it, just do a decline bench press and it will accomplish similar results as arching. :+1:

I get what you're saying, and I will ask him next time I see him. He told me that I would work my core more with the feet on the bench, and I did follow his advice for some time, but then the SI joint got more stable and I guess I wanted to see how it was with my feet on the floor. I strengthen my core in other ways.

I'm not so afraid of hurting my back anymore, though I am of course careful. When the pain starts creeping back - usually if I've been sitting for too long - I massage and stretch, and it's good again.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Feet on bench is an aide for people who can't not arch, or lemmings.

Arching is cheating for a given value of cheating.

Solution: don't arch and keep the bench clean. I'm sure some machine manufacturer somewhere has designed a bench with injection molded foot holds complete with oversized straps.

this totally