Why is it safe for a super morbidly obese person to eat 800 cals a day?

Options
I'm super confused by this! Usually the heavier/taller you are the more calories you can eat and still lose weight aslong as their is a deficit, but why is it when someone is super morbidly obese its not uncommon or unhealthy according to Doctors to put them on a diet of 800 - 1000 calories?

But if you are just obese its not safe to be on a 1000 calorie diet and they recommend something closer to 1200- 1600 (for a female)

Any thoughts?

Replies

• AimiAutumn
    AimiAutumn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    It's not safe. It's dangerous. However, exceptionally heavy individuals are at very high risk and their weight also poses acute danger. So it's a tradeoff... The risk of a crash diet vs the risk of sudden death. Physicians monitor their progress and vitals if they recommend this.

That makes a lot of sense :o Thanks!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Agreed , I see it all the time... my guess ( just a guess) is that the Doc feels they are at a breaking point and need to immediately make changes to prevent serious health issues.

This is basically the reason...
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. When you get to the point of being 500+ lbs you have to weigh the risks of being that big with the risks of going on a low calorie diet. I believe perhaps that the medical community has figured that it is actually safer to get down to a healthier weight faster. The super morbidly obese do lose weight on these diets, but they also suffer other effects. Many people who go on these VLCD (800 cals per day) either through supervision alone or as a result of WLS will experience hair loss, kidney stones, dental issues - all related to the fact that they are nutritionally deficient while on these diets. It's a balancing act the bigger you get.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a follow-up to this: Does a super morbidly obese lose - fat - faster on a 800 calories diet than on - say - a 2000 calories diet? What about that 1% of total body weight per week/31 calories per pound of fat before you start to cannibalize muscle rule of thumb?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a follow-up to this: Does a super morbidly obese lose - fat - faster on a 800 calories diet than on - say - a 2000 calories diet? What about that 1% of total body weight per week/31 calories per pound of fat before you start to cannibalize muscle rule of thumb?

If you're talking about general fat loss, of course they would lose more fat eating 800 calories vs. 2000. If you're talking about fat to muscle ratio, they would probably maintain more muscle mass on 2000 calories. But when you're morbidly obese you have more serious health issues to worry about than cannibalizing muscle tissue. As someone said above the risks of being morbidly obese often outweigh the risks of a low calorie diet.

Ah, I see - I took it to mean that the 1% (or whatever) was all the fat that can be lost, not that any loss beyond that will be (just) an increasing muscle:fat ratio. It makes sense. Thank you.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    AimiAutumn wrote: »
    I'm super confused by this! Usually the heavier/taller you are the more calories you can eat and still lose weight aslong as their is a deficit, but why is it when someone is super morbidly obese its not uncommon or unhealthy according to Doctors to put them on a diet of 800 - 1000 calories?

But if you are just obese its not safe to be on a 1000 calorie diet and they recommend something closer to 1200- 1600 (for a female)

Any thoughts?

Usually a defecit that low (800 - 1000 cal diet) would suggest the person has had Weight Loss Surgery.
  • lilltessiiie
    lilltessiiie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Yes they lose faster. If they have 100 lbs of fat they can supply 3100 cals a day and 100 lbs of fat would be about 220 lbs woman.

Here's a graph of 25% deficit (CR) vs 800 kcal LCD :-

m_joc60035f2.png

(PS the VLCD intervention was up to a 15% weight loss then maintenance)

I would like to read that study. Yarwell, do you know the title and when and were it was published?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    That would be before Fat Free Mass is affected. I.e. when you're trying to selectively optimise for fat loss only. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My own view is that a morbidly obese person can handle a very low calorie diet for longer than you think without serious damage.

I'd say of course, check with your Doctor first, but in my own case..I was 57 years old, 5' 11" and weighed 308 pounds.

I put myself on a 1200 calorie a day diet. (I stayed between 1200-1300 for a good 3 months) This is way too low for a man, but you can do it. I imagine a woman, needing less calories than a man, could do 800-1000 depending on their stats, safely, for a short period of time.

My Doctor never batted an eye when I told him what I was doing. Everyone is different, as are Doctors.