So you want cheesy pasta...

Options
CattOfTheGarage
CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
edited June 2016 in Recipes
... But you don't have the calories in your budget? That's OK - try replacing half the pasta with your favourite veg. I used peas, sweetcorn and blanched carrots cut a similar size to the pasta. I actually think this was an improvement, as it added a bit of variety in texture and flavour, and vegetables are lovely in cheese sauce. You could experiment with different veg and maybe add boiled eggs too.

I know this is barely a recipe but I thought it might inspire someone.

I'm talking about home made cheesy pasta, not that weird stuff in the box. I can't get behind that at all. Though it is better than canned macaroni cheese, which tastes like feet and has the sort of texture I imagine boiled brains would have. No amount of veg can save it.

But that is not the point.

Replies

• mellissaaleach
    mellissaaleach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! Thank you.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    yeah, we always do put cauliflower in the mac n cheese, about as much cauliflower as pasta. Frozen cauliflower, when the pasta is done throw the veg in to stop it cooking, that thaws it. And mustard...I'm not a huge mustard fan but it's oddly very good in there.

Sometimes peas and cauliflower but half of my family objects to peas.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love veggies with cheese sauce, makes a filling meal. I use Romano or another strong cheese for flavour as you don't need as much therefore less calories, and a touch of hot English mustard always intensifies the flavour.

Fav veggies for this are broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, green beans, parsnip
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing at the comment about brains! Also I have never seen canned Mac n cheese, but your description sounds just like I would imagine it to look like!

This is a great idea with the vegetables! I will have to try this!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I love mustard in cheese sauce, but Mr. Garage hates it, and he can taste half a teaspoon a mile away. It's like a superpower.

Canned macaroni cheese is a crime against humanity. We have a wondrous dish here in the West of Scotland called a macaroni pie, which is a little raised pie shell made of hot water crust pastry, filled with macaroni cheese. Buzzfeed called this a "Mac and cheese snack cake" and it's every bit as good as it sounds. Except in one local butcher, where they use proper lard pastry that melts in your mouth, *and then fill it with canned macaroni cheese*.

It breaks my heart.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When I boil the macaroni, I put in a bag of frozen broccoli.
  • Celine123456782016
    Celine123456782016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I replace pasta with chickpeas or zucchini! Fry them a little in coconut oil! Works great! Taste good and feels good!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I put broccoli in mine
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love mustard in cheese sauce, but Mr. Garage hates it, and he can taste half a teaspoon a mile away. It's like a superpower.

This made me literally LOL. My husband is like that with onions. I can't even use onion POWDER in anything I cook for us both. I hate it!! I LOVE onions.

I struggle with veggie intake horribly. This sounds like a great idea to do to incorporate them, especially since I LOVE the (albeit boxed) cheesy chicken rice and broccoli from Velveeta. One box feeds me one meal a day for three days. The other two servings my husband eats right off the bat!