Heat and fluid retention?

We're having a bit of a heatwave in parts of the U.K. right now. My weight is up by about 3lb, and my scales suggest it's water weight (the fat reading goes down - this is quite reliable). I've been drinking lots but that hasn't helped. Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• micca35
    micca35 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm not sure but this might explain why I did not lose a pound this week, it's very hot in VA. I'm continuing to eat right, drink alot of water and work out but the scale is not moving.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Yep, I think it's pretty common. I hate how fat my fingers get.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    If your sodium intake has increased over normal for whatever reason, that would easily explain a 3lb gain.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    If your sodium intake has increased over normal for whatever reason, that would easily explain a 3lb gain.

Thanks - no it hasn't at all. Only the heat- and only up to about 66f, but that's a lot hotter than it's been lately.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    I am on my feet all day and work in the heat a lot of the day. My feet swell. Is there any help for this other than drinking lots of water and keeping sodium levels down (both of which I already try to do)?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have the same problem. On my feet, the weather heats up, my ankles and fingers swell. I would also appreciate any tips on reducing this problem.

I am in the UK as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »

Thanks - no it hasn't at all. Only the heat- and only up to about 66f, but that's a lot hotter than it's been lately.

66f isnt hot. (you do mean fahrenheit right?),do you take any meds or have any health issue that will cause you retain water? are you having any side effects(lack of urine output,fever,shortness of breath? has this happened before in cooler weather?
  • wuvsdancin
    wuvsdancin Posts: 6 Member
    I really just try to drink more water and eat more veggies since fruit has more sugar-I love carrots and spinach. I live in Texas where it is 90F right now. You just know body will swell-rings tighter etc until you cool down and drink more
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Swelling-in-Hot-Weather
    Tip I like best: Drink 16 oz of water when you wake up
    Seriously cut down on sodium. Avoid processed foods.
    Avoid caffeine.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Thanks I hadn't thought of the caffeine.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    rsleighty wrote: »
    I am on my feet all day and work in the heat a lot of the day. My feet swell. Is there any help for this other than drinking lots of water and keeping sodium levels down (both of which I already try to do)?

Be careful not to drop sodium levels too low, particularly if you're drinking a lot of water and sweating a lot over a prolonged time. You may be at risk of abnormally low blood sodium levels (hyponatremia). If it gets too bad, it's a potentially fatal medical emergency; it typically begins with headache, irritability, or confusion.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »

66f isnt hot. (you do mean fahrenheit right?),do you take any meds or have any health issue that will cause you retain water? are you having any side effects(lack of urine output,fever,shortness of breath? has this happened before in cooler weather?

It's hot for us!! No, no other issues.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    FIrst of all, I'm thrilled to hear it's "hot at 66 F" since I'll be there next week and I hate the heat.

Second, I live in a tropical rain forest. I gain 10+ lbs every single wet season and then spend the next three months trying to get rid of it. It is routinely over 34 C here for MONTHS on end. even now in our "winter" we're still getting 30C days.

Gawd, I can't wait for 66 F ... happy days
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    UK here too. my scales have gone up 3lbs too! I was thinking it was from a couple of days of over-eating (no where near enough to account for 3lbs though), digestive issues and possibly PMS..... never thought of fluid retention.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I'm from UK, or more precisely Northern Ireland and although we are experiencing a sort of heat wave for us, I'm not seeing any change on my scales whatsoever...
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    That could have been my issue last weekend - my weight didn't budge but I did look different. Struggling to believe the UK heatwave though, it's windy and gloomy here in North Herts!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Really- its bright, sunny and hot in Liverpool right now.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Overcast, cold and windy here in south-west England (had coat and gloves on this morning). Supposed to get better over the weekend though :)
  • FionaPlum
    FionaPlum Posts: 37 Member
    Heatwave, wow it's cold and gloomy today in Essex! If anything I'm huddled under a blanket and peeing loads because I'm feeling the cold lol. I suspect if you drink more water you'll stop retaining it in the heat?

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It's your body tying to survive and keep you healthy - don't worry about the 3 lbs, it will come back off when it gets cooler again:

"In the summer, body weight can go up by several pounds due to increased body water. This is accomplished through fluid-conserving hormones such as aldosterone, which allows the kidney to retain more fluid and reduces the amount of salt in sweat, a measure that also aids in water retention."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-body-wieght-ambient-temperature/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Natural response when the body detects high heat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    I always develop cankles in the summer. Worse in my right ankle and sometimes in my calf. Only in summer it seems, so I have pretty much chalked it up to the heat.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member

Be careful not to drop sodium levels too low, particularly if you're drinking a lot of water and sweating a lot over a prolonged time. You may be at risk of abnormally low blood sodium levels (hyponatremia). If it gets too bad, it's a potentially fatal medical emergency; it typically begins with headache, irritability, or confusion.[/quote]

Headache, irritability and confusion. Just a typical day for me , lol.

Thanks for the informaion! I was wondering about that. I do sweat a lot. I will do some research and see what I can find.