Disney Tips?

Options
strozman
strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
Taking my 5 and 9yr old to Orlando on June 7th-10th to Disney. I've never been before and have no clue what I'm doing. Unfortunately it looks like I'm doing this trip alone as the ex can't make it to help me out. So the height disparity between the girls may cause the older one to miss out on rides.

I appreciate any tips you may have on anything Disney related

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    They'll probably find epcot and Hollywood studios boring. My son loves the animal Kingdom. If you're staying at a Disney property take advantage of the kids club there
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    They'll probably find epcot and Hollywood studios boring. My son loves the animal Kingdom. If you're staying at a Disney property take advantage of the kids club there
    Cool thanks!
  • synchkat
    Options
    We went to typhoon lagoon last week and it was fun. Beware the tidal wave pool you'll lose your sun glasses and it's freaking huge and terrifying. Well for someone with phobias that ate water related it was.

We stayed last week at a place outside the property but like 2 minutes from Disney it was nice and had a near pool with a cool waterslide but nothing beats staying at a Disney resort. We have done wilderness Lodge and the beach club. The meal plans provide TONS of food. If you want a nice meal splurge and do the two credit restaurants. It's worth it. We went to the steak house at rhe yacht club. Yummy

If you don't just want to do Disney we went to universal. It was pretty cool and NASA up at Cape Canaveral is pretty neat
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of DISboards.com for years. I would highly recommend browsing the forum, it's a wealth of information. Good luck and enjoy making awesome memories at Disney with your girls!
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I go every year to disney! I love it. You will be surprised at how little your older daughter will miss out on . Have fun
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Pick up some inexpensive rain ponchos at Walmart or the dollar store before you go. This time of year afternoon thunderstorms are common (but usually brief). The gift shops at WDW will gouge you on the ponchos.

Are you staying at a Disney resort property? Have you already purchased tickets? Made restaurant reservations?

Unless she is unusually petite, your 5-year-old should be big enough for most rides, with the exception of some of the roller coasters. Last year I even took my average sized 5-year-old on the Tower of Terror (not his favorite) and Expedition Everest (which he loved so much we went twice). You can find the height requirements for all the rides online.

We live in Florida and have been seasonal pass holders for several years, so feel free to message me with any specific questions. Otherwise, the DISboards and AllEars.net are useful sources of information.
  • MRSLJ1975
    MRSLJ1975 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My sons just landed there today
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I know they have a bunch of nutritional info available and ways that you can plan your meals based on time of day and what rides in the parks you want to be close to.

I know this was super helpful to my vegan friend traveling there with 2 kids last year.

And ponchos is a good call. It rains like crazy down here in Florida
  • melasencio
    melasencio Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wear light clothes, bring a camel back with frozen water or Gatorade, wear a hat, have fun.
  • synchkat
    Options
    Oh if you go to the electrical parade stand right were it starts to watch. The parade people come out and are fresh and will give more attention to the kids and then once the last floats come out you can walk along after it which is kind of fun for the littles to feel like they're part of the parade.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    Just got back. Feel free to message me with questions. Have you booked fast passes? That's key.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I've never been there :(

Enjoy
  • synchkat
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    I've never been there :(

Enjoy

You need to visit the bibbity bobbity boutique. :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I love it there. We haven't been for a couple of years--too expensive.

I got a small cross body bag for each of my kids to wear so that they could carry their own stuff (I hate carrying everyone's stuff)--a poncho, an electronic tablet/game for the lines, a portable battery for the electronic device, & a couple gallon-size freezer bags to store the wet poncho after it's done raining & to put the electronic stuff in while it's raining. The cross body bags can go on rides if they're small, backpacks often can't. Just make sure they zip so nothing can fall out. Bring sunscreen to re-apply during the day.

Don't buy bottled water. They will give you free cups of ice water everywhere you can buy food. I just took a bottle of crystal light drops for flavor & one bottle to refill--I'm so cheap.

We spend most of our time in the Magic Kingdom. We can usually do everything in the Animal Kingdom in 1 day. Only one year did we go to Hollywood Studios & they weren't interested in going again after that. They were never interested in going to Epcot.

Get everyone the cushiest, most comfortable waterproof sandals you can find & start wearing them right now to break them in. Sneakers & socks aren't very comfortable to walk in when they are wet (blisters) & they can still be wet the next day (and smell).

You will have the BEST time!
  • ecarrero409
    ecarrero409 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I literally just came back from Disney an hour ago! I'm a pass holder and today was the last day before summer block out dates so I took my 4 year old for the evening. Your 5 year old should be able to do most rides. My son just hit 40 inches which is the height require,met for most of the rides there that have requirements. You'll find a lot to do with them too and don't forget shows!

If yo go to Magic Kingdom, don't stress about the show called "celebrate the magic" that comes on right before wishes (it's projected on the castle) 9 out of 10 times they give it again after the fireworks and by then most people have left so you can literally sit your butt right in front of the castle for a front row performance!

Animal kingdom is lots of fun but will feel pretty hot for sure. If you do the safari ride, go early before the heat kicks in and the animals go into hiding. Also definitely check out the finding nemo and lion king shows they are amazing!!

Hollywood studios is all about Star Wars right now and there are some bigger rides too. Your littlest may not like tower of terror and may not be able to ride rockin roller coaster. But they do have a Star Wars 3D ride and a Disney junior show. And can't forget the frozen sing along show of course. Fantastic, their nighttime show is amazingggg and worth the whole trip in my opinion!

Epcot is nicer for grown ups in my opinion but if you do go, check out club cool for free soda from around the world! World showcase is beautiful but depending on the interest levels of the kids they may or may not like it. I homeschool my son so we turn Epcot into school/geography and he enjoys it.

A lot of these attractions can be found on YouTube by the way. Check out the Disney website for show titles and rides and then look them up on YouTube to plan what experiences you want to try. And definitely schedule fast passes in advanced. Busy season equals heat humidity rain and long lines! And I second what someone else said about getting ponchos off property like at Walmart. Have fun!!