Can you lose weight walking on treadmill at an 7.0 incline?

Options
micca35
micca35 Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi...so I'm back on my fitness journey after taking a brief (3 years) hiatus. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks by eating low carbs and walking on the treadmill. Lately I've been walking at a speed of 2.0 with a incline of either 6.0 or 7.0 for 30-40 minutes. Is it possible to lose weight with this workout?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it puts you in a calorie deficit, yes
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    micca35 wrote: »
    Hi...so I'm back on my fitness journey after taking a brief (3 years) hiatus. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks by eating low carbs and walking on the treadmill. Lately I've been walking at a speed of 2.0 with a incline of either 6.0 or 7.0 for 30-40 minutes. Is it possible to lose weight with this workout?

You lose weight consuming fewer calories than you burn. If you are counting calories and doing this workout ,it will help create the deficit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Running fast on a flat treadmill, walking slow on an incline, each burns calories. You can argue about which burns more in a given time, but I find walking easier on my knees, so some days when my knees flare up I will walk a steep incline.

But ultimately weight loss is all about consuming less than you burn. If you find you can be consistent with walking the incline, by all means go for it! If you think it would be more fun to switch to a cycle, or lifting, or mowing the lawn, go for it! (My lawn needs mowing, hint, hint...) Find an exercise you can enjoy, makes it far easier to be consistent, and that's what'll keep you motivated to keep doing it.
  • micca35
    Options
    Great advice :) Thanks everyone!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Only an incline of 17.5 works. ;)

Or more seriously, what matters for weight loss is overall calories consumed and the overall activity you have.
    Eat less, move more. Done.

The details make it hard or easy. Make sure you enjoy the journey.
    Keep asking questions.
  • micca35
    Options
    Only an incline of 17.5 works. ;)

Or more seriously, what matters for weight loss is overall calories consumed and the overall activity you have.
    Eat less, move more. Done.

The details make it hard or easy. Make sure you enjoy the journey.
    Keep asking questions.

An incline of 17.5??? Funny!!! Thanks for the info!! Be careful what you ask for.... I'm sure I will have A Lot of questions about this weight lost journey :D
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I walk outside for an hour pretty much every day, not only is it great for exercise and fitness, but burns those calories helping you to create a deficit.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I started off walking with no incline because I was so out of shape then moved to an incline, eventually reached a 10. incline. Now Im running. You can loose weight without working out at all, as long as you are eating at a deficit. All walking at an incline does is help you increase that deficit so you lose weight faster. 3,500 cals = 1lb.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I lose weight eating 1500 calories of ice cream daily. The only way one loses is eating less then they burn, makes no difference what exercise if any you chose to do.