Rating activity levels

Options
I work as a behavior manager in a busy animal shelter. There is no real typical day for me. One day I sit at the desk and work at computer. The next day I am on my feet cleaning kennels, training and exercising dogs.

Originally my activity level was set as sedentary. However I have begun tracking my steps and find they range between 5,000 - 12,000, depending upon the day. What is the best way to account for that or should I just keep the level at sedentary?

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You could just keep it set at sedentary since your steps vary so much. I work in a veterinary clinic and I average 8-10k steps a day so I'm set to active.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How do you track your steps? Is it in a way that feeds through to MFP automatically? If so, leave your activity level at sedentary and the steps will adjust your calorie goal as necessary.

Example: I have myself set at sedentary. This coming Saturday I have a 50 mile bike ride planned on dirt roads up the side of a mountain. The next day I'm going hiking. Then a desk job for five days with walks on my lunch break and maybe a run or bike ride after work. That isn't really what sedentary means, but some days are more active than others, and all the data goes where it needs to for everything to work.