More protein, less carbs

Options
So I am not meeting my intake of protein on a daily basis! What foods can I eat that will help reach my needed intake??? But I also have to watch the carbs! Thanks for all the help!!! :D

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Meat. There are no carbs in meat, but there may be a few in meat based products so check the labels.

Hard cheese and eggs are similar, but obviously bring in a lot more fat to the equation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    To lose weight, you need a sustained calorie deficit. To be able to sustain a calorie deficit, a balanced diet can be a great help. A balanced diet can be composed in a number of ways, but it will feel natural for you. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, but don't experience hunger or fatigue, you are probably eating a balanced diet. Eating more of anything than you need (or can utilize), is not necessary, and it can have the adverse effect of not providing you with other things you need (and it will be increasingly difficult to stick to). MFPs default of 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein corresponds with many usual diets and shouldn't be difficult to hit unless you are very picky or have medical issues interfering with your eating. What is your fat, protein and carb goals (in grams), and if you have changed them, why?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce fruit/bread/cereal/oatmeal in order to fit in protein: shrimp, eggs, ground beef, chicken, pork chops.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (or, even better, Icelandic-style yogurt. Skyr is 19g protein for 200g)
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Cheese

I pretty much get 100-120g protein/day and <150 (normally around 120-130) carbs. I'm not intentionally "low-carb" it just sort of happened that way because increasing your protein sources steals away available cals for carbs ;)

My diary is open but my "goals" are skew-iff because I have it set to maintenance cals (1856 + exercise) to easily see my deficit. So the goal amounts are all waaaay higher than they should be and I ignore them. But y'know. Food-wise you can see what's happening.
  • SkezzaShredder
    SkezzaShredder Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low GI diet, which relies on less carbs, more protein. For breakfast, I have three eggs, either scrambled (no milk or butter) with black peppercorn, or poached in a noodle bowl (which tastes better than you might think, no actual noodles :smile: ).

For lunch, I've been having salad with skinless chicken. Salad includes spinach, lettuce, red/green/yellow peppers and sometimes throw in some lentils. I also sometimes add quinoa which is low GI and healthy amount of carbs for lunch imo. Might chuck in an egg if it's a little on the light side.

Dinner is usually a lottery, but I still like to fundamentally base it around skinless chicken or meat of some sort. If I can get some tofu in there I will. Maybe a bit of quinoa or cous cous and lots of green veggies, broccoli, green beans, peppers etc.

Dessert I have been having 0% fat natural yoghurt.... probably the blandest food on the planet, but nobody said dieting was going to be easy ;)
  • SkezzaShredder
    SkezzaShredder Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've also cut out bread pretty much completely. No white bread, no brown bread.... the only times I ever have bread is when it's absolutely necessary and there's no other option. When that is the case, I have brown wholemeal as I'm yet to get my hands on some Low GI from LIDL.
  • SliverBulletsUK
    SliverBulletsUK Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on around 50g per day of carbs and 200+ of protein. Plenty of meat and eggs for me