Gnocchi??

Options
mommabenefield
mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
Anyone ever made it from scratch? Successfully?

I tried last night didnt work.... may have not had enough flour...

Give me your best tips :)

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'd like to make my own, too...bumping :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump too...plus I like saying it gnnn-O-chee!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Made it the other night, and it turned out pretty darn good. It takes a lot of flour - I added what was called for in the recipe, and then put quite a lot on the surface I was rolling the dough out on so the mixture picked up some more. Also, how long you boil it is important - big pieces seem to be able to handle 6 or 7 minutes, but smaller pieces get a bit slimy if you overcook them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever made it from scratch? Successfully?

I tried last night didnt work.... may have not had enough flour...

Give me your best tips :)

Use yolks as a binder, possibly get starchier potatoes, treat the dough gently, as soon as they float they are done
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

IMG_20130506_193936.jpg
  • Montrose11
    Montrose11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Can you post the recipe? Also any healthy ideas to serve them would be appreciated.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I typically use a 2 cup potato:1 cup flour:1 egg ratio.

How you cook the potato will affect how much flour you need to use and how well the dough binds. It is better to bake the potato rather than boil it. Boiling the potato adds excess water to the potato which means extra flour is needed.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    use cold potato when making the dough. like acg mentioned, when they float they are done - but you don't need to wait for them all to float. as soon as the first couple pop up you can take them out.

[edit: for clarification - cold, cooked potato. not raw potato :p]
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I admire peoples patience with some foods. I usually only enjoy gnocchi at restaurants!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I really love gnocchi and have made it by hand before, but I honestly can't say homemade is worth it compared to the kind you buy in a box. The amount of time and effort to make all those tiny little pillows isn't worth the slight flavor improvement compared to the vacuum-sealed boxes you can buy in the pasta aisle. Or maybe I'm just making way too big a batch, because I get bored after rolling 20 gnocchi.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I saved this recipe recently, but I haven't tried it yet:

http://www.effyeahitsvegan.com/1/post/2013/06/vegan-gnocchi.html
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I really love gnocchi and have made it by hand before, but I honestly can't say homemade is worth it compared to the kind you buy in a box.

If you make it the right way it soooooo is worth it.

All I know is my Grandma used to make it when I was younger and it was the most delicious thing in the world. Haven't had anything close since from anywhere.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I made them with sweet potatoes, needed to add WAY more flour than I thought I would need to make the dough workable. But they turned out great in the end, was afraid they'd be too floury!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I typically use a 2 cup potato:1 cup flour:1 egg ratio.

How you cook the potato will affect how much flour you need to use and how well the dough binds. It is better to bake the potato rather than boil it. Boiling the potato adds excess water to the potato which means extra flour is needed.

riiiight, so this is what I needed to change! thanks :)
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130301_194509.jpg

IMG_20130506_193936.jpg

That's a great looking plate man...I want to make Gnocchi!
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Use old--as in wrinkly, but not mushy or moldy--potatoes as they have the most starch. I peel them, cut them in cubes, and then cook in the microwave until soft, which also takes out some of the moisture. Let cool then add an egg and flour, continuing to add flour until you get a dough. When you boil them, as someone else pointed out, they're done when they float. I've also successfully used acorn squash for gnocchi, and my sister has used pumpkin. I usually make a huge batch, typically over the weekend, and then freeze most of it. Makes for a great quick weekday meal as the gnocchi can be thrown in the boiling water while still frozen. If you do freeze it, though, make sure to spread all the gnocchi out on a cookie sheet to freeze. Once they're frozen, then pop them off and put them in a container. If you put them in the container right away, they freeze into a giant blob.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use chestnut flour and I don't use potato.
    I also make a Riccotta one.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I just made a bunch of sweet potato gnocchi the other day. Gnocchi can be either potato-based or ricotta based and I've made both. Here are some recipes from my cooking blog:

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2010/12/13/potato-gnocchi/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/07/30/return-to-gnocchi-the-continuing-search-for-pillowy-dumplings/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/06/22/gnocchi-is-quick-to-make-in-small-amounts/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/05/26/the-gnocchi-saga-continues/

For the most recent batch of sweet potato gnocchi, I had baked the sweet potato wrapped in foil and let the potato cool in the foil. The skin sloughed right off without any effort and the potato flesh was nice and moist. That meant, however, that the gnocchi needed relatively more flour. With this in mind, I made the gnocchi a lot smaller than usual. One large sweet potato made enough gnocchi for three dinners for two.

I like to saute lots of veggies, poach the gnocchi, and throw some of the gnocchi water and some grated cheese in to make a sauce. Pesto is also good on gnocchi and can be made out of almost any green leafy stuff. The most recent meal was parsley/slivered almond/olive oil whirred in the food processor into pesto.
  • traciezolman
    Options
    I made it once with a sweet poetatoe filling and it was awesome. The trick is to add more flour .....
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    one trick I learned from my nonna is to steam the potatoes instead of boil them... it will cut the amount of flour you need.... in your pot add few inches of water then put in the steam basket (you could use a colander) add the potatoes and cover with lid cook at medium heat til the potatoes are fork tender then proceed with your recipe...