Squat Alternatives

Options
I've been trying to increase the amount I can lift on squats, but by gym only has two squat racks. So if those are taken, I've been using the incline leg press.

Question is: Is this an appropriate alternative? Would I be better off using the Smith machine? What is the weight equivalent; I can do 100# with the squat rack, so how much would be an equal workout on the leg press?

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you can't use the squat rack, maybe sub in goblet squats with a dumbbell or kettlebell instead. Smith machine isn't the greatest since it locks your range of motion, and the leg press isn't working your muscles exactly the same.

I would say do goblets, and you could always use them as warmups and see if the racks free up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's fine as an alternative. It's not the exact same, but as an occasional thing? Sure.

No, to the Smith. While it's not as bad as many claim it to be, you have to drastically change your stance and the way you squat. IMO, you'd be better off with either the leg press or doing lunges.

There isn't really an equivalence between squats and leg press. Leg press doesn't use the same stabilizers, and you don't have to move your body/torso with leg press, so you could probably press a bit more than you can squat. Since it's a different exercise, you'll have to just work with what you can.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Our gym only has one rack. I like to squat first, and I'm pretty lucky most of the time- but other times I have to wait. I would always opt to wait over substituting some other movement. (I guess it depends on your workout, I do an upper & lower split so my lower body days are long, and there's a lot I can do while I wait.)

One time I made it though my entire workout and I was beyond irritated because the person hogging the rack wasn't even doing squats or deads (I think he was actually curling AND doing some sort of super set... NOT OKAY.) I was going to bag squats altogether and do them first the next day (before upper body), but a friend who was there encouraged me to do them. I had this mental block that I wouldn't be able to because I was too tired. But I did. And it turned out that it felt really good to push through and do them.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It's fine as an alternative. It's not the exact same, but as an occasional thing? Sure.

No, to the Smith. While it's not as bad as many claim it to be, you have to drastically change your stance and the way you squat. IMO, you'd be better off with either the leg press or doing lunges.

There isn't really an equivalence between squats and leg press. Leg press doesn't use the same stabilizers, and you don't have to move your body/torso with leg press, so you could probably press a bit more than you can squat. Since it's a different exercise, you'll have to just work with what you can.

This. Also, you can utilize dumbbells for Bulgarian Split Squats, Pistol Squats, Goblet Squats, etc.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    kettle bell squats, cleans and goblet squats and any other variations you can find on the wonderful Google. I would suggest staying away from Smith Machines because you compromise balance and stability of your own body because the machine does it all for you
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I love doing Jeffersons, bulgarian split squats, sumo squats with dumbbell/kettlebell. I don't think the leg press is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Many squaters think it's a good tool to use until you get strong and stable enough to do normal squats.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! The split squats options sound the best, I'll try those next time. Or maybe bench press until the rack is available.