Building up my Fitness

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
I was very unfit starting this about 6 weeks ago. I've been walking for cardio and also trying to build up my fitness. I have definitely noticed I'm getting fitter walking up hills getting less out of breath and able to walk up said hills quicker, but am still unable to walk up many flights of stairs without getting out of breath. Granted I do this straight after my walk up to my flat, so maybe I'm just tired, but will it take longer to build up my fitness to go up stairs as it does walking?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Your in my boat. When I started (about the same time) I could not do 10 minutes on the treadmill, I now do 60mins. On those weekend days where the misses want us to do a crapton of running around, that would peter me out for the rest of the day, now as soon as I get home I start on my normal Saturday chores.
    ...it takes time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Even fit people get a little out of breathe going up a lot of stairs. Focus on how long it takes your breathing to return to normal.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Even fit people get a little out of breathe going up a lot of stairs. Focus on how long it takes your breathing to return to normal.

Thanks. It doesn't take that long actually to breathe normally, so that helps.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You are making progress. That's what matters. You won't go from "very unfit" to very fit in 6 weeks. But you can and are improving. Walk, then walk farther, then walk faster. Climb a few hills and stairs, then climb a few more, then go a little faster. Do other forms of exercise as you're able. You will continue making steady progress. You won't even realize it, until one day you say "I just did x, and I couldn't do that 3 months ago!" This is my story of the past 2 years, from barely being able to walk or get out of my chair, to running, climbing hills & stairs, and many other accomplishments. If you're also losing weight, that will make a huge difference too.

Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results. --Robin Sharma
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started running the effort it took to breath as I huffed and puffed to the end of the block. That was two and a half years ago. Last week at an out of town family wedding I went for a run with my sister. We went 10 miles and chit chatted the whole time. Just keep building and challenging yourself, it doesn't happen all at once but it will happen. Just don't slack off or you will be right back at the beginning.