How to be patient with results?

Options
2»

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's a behavioral issue you learn to accept or not. Your body is going to do what it's going to do since weight loss isn't linear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's a behavioral issue you learn to accept or not. Your body is going to do what it's going to do since weight loss isn't linear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I clearly remember thinking the same as you describe OP but now I've done it and got slim I can't believe how 'Quick' it was to lose and why the heck did I not do it years ago!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I often get impatient while waiting for results. I do this thing where I pantomime swallowing an imaginary "chill pill." Then I laugh at how goofy I am and feel better.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have A LOT of medical problems and I really don't get results easily, if at all. I try associating my fitness journey to things other than weight loss. Like, I like how my cheeks warm up after a brisk walk, how I maintain a better posture on days when I work out, how being conscious of my eating aids self discipline, etc. I also notice changes in my body more than the changes on the scale. If you feel lighter, active, better, youre on the right track!
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found it helped to remind myself that I didn't put the weight on overnight, so how could I expect to lose it quickly?

This is exactly it for me. It took me from 1985 when I graduated from high school at 6'0" and 185 pounds to 2015 when I peaked at 387. While it doesn't have to take that long to get it off, it is unrealistic for me to think I will be 185 in a year.

Just as unrealistic as it was when I thought I would pick up an electric guitar and be Eddie Van Halen in a couple weeks. :)

That said, I am very encouraged by being at 299 today. :)
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My sister decided you wanted to lose weight and started eating healthier and exercising. She saw no losses for an entire month. She got pretty discouraged but decided to keep going anyway. The second month the weight started to melt away and she lost more than 10 pounds that month. Give yourself at least two or three months before you get discouraged. Just look at this first month as prep work or laying a foundation. If after three months you still aren't losing, then something else is the problem.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've broken down my bigger goal into smaller ones. 10 pounds is approximately a size so if you think about going down an entire size every couple months, that's pretty impressive!