Tips for combating depression while losing weight?

Options
Dukare
Dukare Posts: 144 Member
Everyone gets their highs and lows I think. My lows get me in a sullen, depressed state.... usually after I have a lazy day and have shot my energy by eating junk all day.

Hard not getting in the slums when ya stay inside all day and don't have friends around to have "a girls night out"

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    The absolute best thing I found to combat my depression is regular exercise. I run and walk a lot. It always makes me feel good, and since I started doing it regularly I have found my depression (and anxiety) symptoms are a lot less.

I don't have any friends either, but I'm generally okay with that since I'm not a people person. Time spent outdoors always recharges me. I also have a cat, and he's really good at cheering me up when I feel down.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe think of exercise as a vitamin or medication. Like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Go for a ten minute walk no matter what.

I know it's hard to be motivated when you're depressed, and adding a new activity is kind of the exact opposite of what you feel like doing.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Walking helped me and mindfulness exercise. It took sometime and I still have a long ways to go but I am were I need to be right now :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If I get discouraged or depressed, which does happen occasionally, I usually make myself go dance for a song or two. Juts plug my earbuds in and hit shuffle. Gets me moving and makes me feel better too :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I agree with the exercise. I'll also go on YouTube and watch funny videos. It really changes my mood when I'm "forced" to laugh.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The absolute best thing I found to combat my depression is regular exercise. I run and walk a lot. It always makes me feel good, and since I started doing it regularly I have found my depression (and anxiety) symptoms are a lot less.

I don't have any friends either, but I'm generally okay with that since I'm not a people person. Time spent outdoors always recharges me. I also have a cat, and he's really good at cheering me up when I feel down.

This could be me and it's also how I keep the beast at bay. I hike several times a week with my dog. If not for that I would never have been able to stick with my weight loss program. I would have spent the last 6 months sitting on the couch. I'm not a people person either which sometimes can be detrimental, but mostly I like being alone (I'm married, but my husband doesn't join me on my hikes). "Girls night out" is highly over rated IMHO.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous comments, but would add that you might want to try a fish oil supplement. I've taken it for several years after I found it recommended for mild depression in a guidebook from our insurance company and think it makes a big difference. I recently had to start taking a new medication that interfered with my normal routine for taking my fish oil and as a result, ended up forgetting to take it many days. My mood tanked until I put 2 + 2 together and got back on schedule.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to eat healthier. Meals that are light and aren't as harsh on your stomach. Try removing toxic foods, chemicals, and other toxins from your current diet. The food you eat really does contribute to your mood.
  • ftwmc
    ftwmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I suffer from cancer and have been told to keep blood oxygen levels as high as possible both for health and moods. Walking is best for this and I find 10min walk in the sun sit talk to the birds and smell the roses then 10 mins home best way to start the day.
  • blc231981
    blc231981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My daily walks with my dog was what kept my black cloud of depression at bay. His need to get out got me to get out of bed and outside. He is my motivation for moving when I don't want to. Recently I have found that my depression is getting less. My new issue is that the walks I take with him are not enough to lose weight. I walk with him 30+ mins (3 walks a day but one longer than others) and have been doing that for 3 years now. It's so routine that it isn't working. With the depression and the depression meds I have gained 50 lbs. I have since been taken off the meds. Now I'm stuck in this body that reminds me of my depression. I am struggling to get motivated to do more. With that add weight I get tired from work and end up resting on the couch. I got back on mfp after years away in hopes that I can find a way out of the rut.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Agree with previous comments, but would add that you might want to try a fish oil supplement. I've taken it for several years after I found it recommended for mild depression in a guidebook from our insurance company and think it makes a big difference. I recently had to start taking a new medication that interfered with my normal routine for taking my fish oil and as a result, ended up forgetting to take it many days. My mood tanked until I put 2 + 2 together and got back on schedule.

I have a vit D deficiency, and my depression flares when it's too low. Just going outside for a few minutes, or even opening a window helps me tremendously.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    my dog has helped me
    walking and now running helps
    getting enough vit D and even iron helps
    yoga is a great help
    meditation to unravel the crazy in my head

if all else fails i do one of two things-watch or listen to a comedian, or watch something sappy so i have a place to direct my emotions in a "constructive" way. chick flicks are great for that.