Calories Burned Cleaning

Options
DangerouslyEli
DangerouslyEli Posts: 33 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just willingly cleaned half my entire house due to summer-holiday boredom, and according to MFP, I burned 265 calories whilst doing it; light, moderate effort.

Is this accurate? I don't feel like I burned that many. The basis of what I did was (1) carry loads of stuff upstairs and put it away, (2) sweep all the floors, (3) dust and polish, and (4) wash floors.
I spent about two or three hours doing this, but I only logged 90 minutes because even 265 just felt like pushing it.

What do you think?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know your stats. But keep in mind you burn calories always, and this is accounted for when you set up your profile in MFP as sedentary, lightly active, etc. Its not exercise - you probably should not log it at all.

Example for me: I am female, age 41, 5'5.5" and 130 pounds. My BMR is about 1270 meaning I burn about 53 per hour for living. For lightly active status, MFP gives me credit for about 65-70 burned per hour (which includes the BMR # plus extra for moving around). So if I were to 'clean' for 3 hours then 210 cals would already be counted for my activity in MFP. I would not log it - its nothing 'extra'. Its part of daily life.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log cleaning.
  • DangerouslyEli
    DangerouslyEli Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Okay, thank you! :')
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I see people on my feed logging cleaning a lot - and they're logging fairly massive burns. I've wondered how this works out for them...?
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The only time I log cleaning is for twice-yearly "spring cleaning" which involve taking all books off shelves, moving furniture, carrying boxes of donations, hard scrubbing, etc. where I have sweat literally pouring off me. That feels like a real workout, and I'll be sore the next day. Otherwise, no, regular weekly cleaning is just not strenuous or sustained enough to even raise my heartrate. I don't consider it exercise. Activity, yes, but just normal activity.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm with @khh1138 - I only log cleaning if it is extreme "sweat pouring down my face" cleaning - which only happens a couple times a year. Same with yardwork/gardening.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i will log cleaning if it goes above and beyond what i normally do in a day (i'm a housewife so i clean every day)
    like today for example, i moved all my daughter's stuff to a new bedroom, then moved my son's stuff to a new bedroom (they switched rooms) - they also switched bathrooms so i cleaned them top to bottom, took about an hour to clean bathrooms alone. vacuum stairs, etc. that is WAY more than i normally do, so i can log that.
    if i just unload dishwasher, do a load of laundry, etc i don't log that because that is already taken into account in my "moderate" activity level.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    I'm with @khh1138 - I only log cleaning if it is extreme "sweat pouring down my face" cleaning - which only happens a couple times a year. Same with yardwork/gardening.

Me too. And I never have problems losing if I stay within my calories.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I just willingly cleaned half my entire house due to summer-holiday boredom, and according to MFP, I burned 265 calories whilst doing it; light, moderate effort.

Now I'm wondering if you would burn more calories if you unwillingly cleaned your house.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Now I'm wondering if you would burn more calories if you unwillingly cleaned your house.
    AND NOT JUST HALF OF THE HOUSE BUT THE ENTIRE THING ! CALORIES FOR YOU...CALORIES FOR ME...CALORIES FOR EVERYONE !!!!!11!