help running weight gain

Hi I have been successfully maintaining a 25 pound weight loss over the last year without exercising. I reached my goal weight of 110 pounds last june. well recently I started running and I've been seeing a slow but steady weight gain over the past 4 weeks when I started. I now weigh 113 pounds. I do not eat back excercise calories and I've been eating the same amount of calories as in maintenance. it's getting very discouraging I don't think I've gained 3 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks so what gives?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    If you are absolutely not eating more then it is most likely some muscle gain and water retention. Your muscles will retain more fluid with exercise in order to repair themselves more efficiently.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    It's the muscles retaining water, nothing to worry about.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Could well be water from increased exercise, it's not muscle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    If you are 100% sure with no question what so ever, then I will echo the water weight gain. You are also female and there are just going to be times when the following affects your weight:

1) When you consume carbs you will retain 2.7 gr of water in excess your body does not need for every 1 gr of carb you consume.

2) Two times a month (for females) you will retain some water during ovulation and during and up 3 - 5 days before mensus

3) Glycogen depletion, muscle repair.. all require water

4) Sodium and electrotype balance is important when running. Not only drink water but also consume some electrolytes. This is also especially important if running in summer time months and running in hotter weather. You can retain a bit more water in summer time months.

5) Avoid excess sodium from foods.. stick with the amount of 2300 MFP sets up on the diary.