Feeling like I'll never lose this weight :/

Options
mackleemoose
mackleemoose Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2016 in Motivation and Support
I'm current 300lbs and I'm all together trying to lose 150, but I'll start with 50 for now. I've been exercising everyday for about two months. Results aren't going the way I like. I need motivation. Tips? Anything :(

Replies

• cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    are you tracking your food? are you weighing your food? are you eating back your calories when you exercise? Have you taken body measurements to be sure you're not losing inches? what are you doing for a workout?
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    What do you mean results aren't going your way?
    Are you logging your food? Weighing it? These things help IMMENSELY; knowing what goes in your body is invaluable information.
    Did you take pics when you started? If not do so now and set yourself a reminder to do it every month and if you can do measurements that way you have both a visual and numeric record of your progress if the scale is not moving the way you'd like.
    Welcome and good luck!
  • mackleemoose
    mackleemoose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For starters, I had a neighbor talk me into this two month program she just made up. She did it and lost over 40 lbs. I've only lost half. Not sure why that was the case, but I followed the things she ate strictly. I'm thinking that maybe it's because of stress? I'm a college student, so that could be it. I'm not sure. As for tracking my calorie intake, I haven't! That being why I decided to start using this app again. I was thinking that since she lost all this weight, I wouldn't need to track it. Boy was I wrong :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For starters, I had a neighbor talk me into this two month program she just made up. She did it and lost over 40 lbs. I've only lost half. Not sure why that was the case, but I followed the things she ate strictly. I'm thinking that maybe it's because of stress? I'm a college student, so that could be it. I'm not sure. As for tracking my calorie intake, I haven't! That being why I decided to start using this app again. I was thinking that since she lost all this weight, I wouldn't need to track it. Boy was I wrong :/

You've only lost half? So you've lost 20lbs? Or half a pound?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

You aren't her - that's why your results are different. And if she made up the program, I'd ignore it. That is, unless she's an RD. Then, maybe.

• KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

That is 3 lbs a week, so you are losing at an aggressive rate. Track on mfp and set it to lose 2 lbs a week. 3 is just not healthy.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You have to be honest with your self or it wont work.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That is 3 lbs a week, so you are losing at an aggressive rate. Track on map and set it to lose 2 lbs a week. 3 is just not healthy.

At 300 lb, that's fine for now.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are losing, just not at the same rate....it sounds like a victory to me! if you haven't already done so, I would take before and after pictures and tape measurements.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree, you have been very successful. Great job!

It's a really good thing to learn to track and log your food, though - regardless of what "NeighborPlan" you are using. You'll learn about calories, macros, food combinations that keep you happy, how to plan meals to fit your nutrition - all things you will learn by logging food and they are things you will take with you the rest of your life. Weight loss is about calories, so the quicker you figure it out, the easier things will be for you. Knowledge is power.

It takes me five minutes a day to log my food and I know that I'm getting proper nutrition. It's worth it to me.
  • starzl33t
    starzl33t Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have lost 20 pounds in 2 months this is a great achievement. So pat yourself on your back and take a step towards the future. I been doing this MyFitnessPal on and off for 4 years so I can speak from experience. The first step you should do is look into a calorie maintenance calculator on google and figure out how many calories you need to consume daily to maintain your current weight.

After you got your maintenance you want to work out a calorie deficit you can work out without feeling the need to binge at or going over your calorie deficit. I work at a strict 25%-30% deficit and this fit into my lifestyle easily.

Exercise is not 100% needed obviously it helps the process along but working to your calorie deficit will make you lose weight. I typically use exercise and cardio so I can treat myself to a few drinks at the weekend.

Next step I have to stress is track every single thing you eat. I mean get a set of measuring food scales, get the cup measurements for rice measuring etc. You want to pay close attention to portion sizes if you want to be 100% certain you are meeting your goal, the calorie deficit you have created.

If you insist on doing some exercise daily I would recommend going outside for a low intensity walk around the block or town for around 30-45 minutes.

I wish you the best of luck and most of all believe in yourself. We can achieve anything if we put our minds to it.
  • donhalox2
    donhalox2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As much as tracking your food is cumbersome sometimes, that's where you have to start. Once you know your intake, you can adjust that amount accordingly. It's an energy balance, Calories in vs Calories out. You're not measuring to know what you did wrong, you are measuring to know what you did right!

Working out everyday is great!! Good JOB! You didnt say that you were losing weight either, but as long as ARE, 1 or 2 or 5lbs, its still progress in the right direction.

A balance diet is required though. so a serving of vegetables with every meal is a good target. and protein(chicken, turkey, steak) should be a large part of each meal. No such thing as "forbidden" foods. Just include them into your diet in moderation as part of your calorie count.

Remember, dont crash diet meaning eating too low of calories at the start. The goal is to eat as much you can that allows you to lose weight. It's different for each person too. Thats why you measure what you intake now, and subtract calories to lose weight. Maybe 10-15% to start off? Then you adjust each time you get stuck at a weight for more than a week another 5-10%. I found this method to be more sustaining in the long run.

Weigh yourself each week in the mornings at the same time to stay on track and know if your doing the right things.

Good luck and this app is great! It helps to stay on track. :smile:

If monetary is a better motivator, then try www.healthywage.com. My team and I JUST won 3rd place. 1st place gets 2 grand a piece though! Turns out money and my teammates were my best motivator to get in shape.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

That is 3 lbs a week, so you are losing at an aggressive rate. Track on mfp and set it to lose 2 lbs a week. 3 is just not healthy.

At here weight it's perfectly fine.
  • sandi_s
    sandi_s Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    keep going!!!!. I have been keeping track of my daily intake for a couple of months ( only gone over a few times) and haven't lost anything for awhile, but I know if I give up I will gain what I had lost and feel more sad than I do now not losing anything.