Are there any workouts aimed at people with Hypothyroidism?

Options
My Mother has Hypothyroidism and she's looking for a workout DVD or plan that may help her, we've been reading that adding strength to the cardio is really important when you have Hypothyroidism but we can't seem to find anything on the right balance. She's very much someone who likes to follow a DVD or even Youtube video so something like that would be perfect. She probably needs to lose around 4 stone if that's important.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure how much it would matter. I power lift and do hypertrophy training and my buddy who has hypothyroidism has absolutely no problem following the same workout plan as me, granted the only time we have issues is if we're lacking sleep or have been lagging on our diet for a few days.

Tell her to look into a 5x5 beginners program, along with a gym membership. Most people lose their drive working out at home, it's hard to just stand around if you're actually in the gym.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thought you said strength and cardio. Buy a treadmill or elliptical and progressively go for longer, with 1 or two rest days a week.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Has she gone to a doctor for her issue and is she taken meds for it? Exercise is great and all but it's not going to fix her hypothyroidism. I've suffered with it for years. Had all the symptoms but my numbers -- according to the quack doctors and endocrinologists I went to -- were "low but not low enough to warrant meds. Meanwhile my hair was falling out, not growing at all, I was tired, my nails were brittle and breaking. No amount of exercise I did helped with any of this nor did it lesson my symptoms. I finally found a doctor who put me on Armour Thyroid (I'm not a fan of synthetic meds) and I've been on it since October and there's a marked improvement. Of course now he's trying to determine if I have Wilson's Syndrome, but that's a whole other discussion.

I'd tell her to speak with a doctor first and get it sorted out first. Thyroid isn't something to mess with.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your mum should be able to do any exercise routine. It is just finding something that she likes, is effective, and suits her fitness level.

I haven't done many videos, but I did find the 30 Day Shred quite good. It uses light weights so will help initially with muscle retention if she is new to exercise. You can find all 3 parts on line. But she would do just as well to begin with focusing on the first episode until she can complete it with relative ease.

I am guessing that she is new to exercise and so trying to think of simple and achievable. If I am wrong, sorry.

Walking is a great exercise. Slowly increase time, distance, and speed.
    Swimming is excellent as it is a good full body work out. Like walking start slow.

Bodyweight exercises are very benificial and you can work toward completing the exercise. ie: push-ups against the wall, then table, and gradually off the floor.

A simple very beginner lifting routine is a 15 min video by HasFit. Break it down into doable portions if needed and complete at a slower pace.

If she is willing, and there is a pool close, from personal experience I would highly recommend Aqua fit. It is good cardio, has a little strength training as you are working against the water, is easy on the joints, and helps with balance, coordination, posture, and flexibility. It is lots of fun too, and you don't feel sweaty because you are in the water.
    I hated the feel of dripping in sweat when I first started so this got my fitness level up without feeling uncomfortable.

Your mum, if wanting to lose those extra pounds would be good aiming for 1 lbs a week and eating back a 50-75% of her exercise calories.

I am not sure of your mums age or fitness level so I have given you things that I have done since the age of 55. Nothing was easy to begin with, but all were doable eventually with a bit of determination.

Have her take baby steps and work into things gradually. There is nothing more discouraging than an injury or burning out because you went in too hot and heavy for your fitness level.
    Enthusiasm is great but have her temper it with realistic goals.

Sorry this was so long,
    Cheers, h.

The programmes I mentioned.

30 Day Shred-
    http://www.welcometotheonepercent.com/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred/

Body weight routine to do at home or the gym.-
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Very beginning weights-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Edit to add links.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Has she gone to a doctor for her issue and is she taken meds for it? Exercise is great and all but it's not going to fix her hypothyroidism. I've suffered with it for years. Had all the symptoms but my numbers -- according to the quack doctors and endocrinologists I went to -- were "low but not low enough to warrant meds. Meanwhile my hair was falling out, not growing at all, I was tired, my nails were brittle and breaking. No amount of exercise I did helped with any of this nor did it lesson my symptoms. I finally found a doctor who put me on Armour Thyroid (I'm not a fan of synthetic meds) and I've been on it since October and there's a marked improvement. Of course now he's trying to determine if I have Wilson's Syndrome, but that's a whole other discussion.

I'd tell her to speak with a doctor first and get it sorted out first. Thyroid isn't something to mess with.

Yeah she's on meds for it, Armour I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

I actually do one of his workouts for my back as I have a lot of pain so I'll show her this one for sure.