Low BMR what calories can I eat without gaining

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    One doesn't have to look like a body builder in order to have low body fat...

True. I just needed a reference for what it may look like. Google images isnt helping me much..
  • charlireah
    charlireah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I suppose my concern now is why did my trainer not question that result?
  • charlireah
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »
    Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - that is the number that matters.

Are you consistently losing with your current numbers?

If the BF% number is right and you want to get lean (it always seems lean to me), then maybe look into a progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance. This is called recomposition.

Thank you! How would I figure that out?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Try the calculator linked above to figure out your numbers.

Thank you this worked perfectly! Although it says I can eat 1900 daily and that feels like such a lot! Haha

It is taking into consideration the amount you exercise. So if you exercise a lot, which it seems like you do, it makes sense.

Also, that number may be the number for you to maintain your current weight. If you wanted to lose weight, you would have to eat less but it seems like you are interested in 'shaping up' so you can eat at the 1900, lift progessively heavier weights, and with time, you could create the shape you desire.

Thank you, that's been really helpful! :)
  • charlireah
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Is that a typo, that your bodyfat is 10%????

No it isn't. I am 10%. I thought it was 20% but ive had it done professionally rather than attempt to do it myself!!

Are you female? If so you're definitely not 10%

Can you explain why? I had my body composition done by a qualified personal trainer so I can only assume that this is accurate?

Do you look similar to this? I couldn't find a pic of an exact 10% body fat female.

85jq8hqzohjw.jpg

Oh definitely not! Looks like a mistake on the BIA! Thanks for that. I do look more like the 20% image
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

That's a very good question. :)

By the way my BIA scales tell me I'm 33% - ahem!!

In the end BMR isn't a very useful number beyond "oh that's interesting".
    Real world results from what you actually eat and how active you are plus what exercise you do are what matter.
    All the estimates in the world just give you a start point.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I got my body composition done by my personal trainer and my basic metabolic rate is only 1359. I understand what a BMR is but I'm wondering how much CAN I eat without gaining or does it depend? Here's info:
    Body fat 10%
    Weight 7st12
    Muscle mass 6st11
    BMR 1359 metabolic age 12
    Visceral fat 1
    BMO 20
    Age 24, height 5ft 2

I eat 1500 calories 6 days a week and have a "treat day" of 2000 calories. Sometimes I might have two 2000 days depending.

I do 3 hours of brisk walking a week and 30 minutes at the gym a week with my personal trainer (we use vibroplates which increase training so trainer says it's really an hour that I do)

So can anyone tell me what calories I can get away with eating? What I'm doing now seems to be ok but want to make sure I'm doing it right as I want to get leaner. Thanls

Regarding the bolded - I am not really well informed about vibroplates, but is that true? It doesn't make sense to me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No but at 10% as a woman you're going to look incredibly lean or very ill.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here's a chart, which still slightly confuses me, as I'm a mix of a couple of these pics..

7f1626t4gxvs.jpg
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Exactly. That is extremely low for a woman and incredibly rare, especially for someone who is 110 pounds at 5'2" mostly walking and only hitting the gym for 30 minutes per week. If she were 10% body fat, she would not think she's anywhere near 20% regardless of varying body types. I question the trainer who didn't bat an eye at that body fat percentage.
  • charlireah
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I got my body composition done by my personal trainer and my basic metabolic rate is only 1359. I understand what a BMR is but I'm wondering how much CAN I eat without gaining or does it depend? Here's info:
    Body fat 10%
    Weight 7st12
    Muscle mass 6st11
    BMR 1359 metabolic age 12
    Visceral fat 1
    BMO 20
    Age 24, height 5ft 2

I eat 1500 calories 6 days a week and have a "treat day" of 2000 calories. Sometimes I might have two 2000 days depending.

I do 3 hours of brisk walking a week and 30 minutes at the gym a week with my personal trainer (we use vibroplates which increase training so trainer says it's really an hour that I do)

So can anyone tell me what calories I can get away with eating? What I'm doing now seems to be ok but want to make sure I'm doing it right as I want to get leaner. Thanls

Regarding the bolded - I am not really well informed about vibroplates, but is that true? It doesn't make sense to me.

It is. If you look it up on the internet or speak to a fitness trainer they give you all the information :) (well at least I hope it's true! I certainly feel like it's true as the results have been amazing)
  • charlireah
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Exactly. That is extremely low for a woman and incredibly rare, especially for someone who is 110 pounds at 5'2" mostly walking and only hitting the gym for 30 minutes per week. If she were 10% body fat, she would not think she's anywhere near 20% regardless of varying body types. I question the trainer who didn't bat an eye at that body fat percentage.

Agreed! I will speak to my trainer. She is actuay a trainer in training and the lead trainer who oversees the programme was in a class during my body comp session so I will speak to her!
  • charlireah
    Options
    Here's a chart, which still slightly confuses me, as I'm a mix of a couple of these pics..

7f1626t4gxvs.jpg

Yes thanks for this I am round the 17-20
  • charlireah
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That's a very good question. :)

By the way my BIA scales tell me I'm 33% - ahem!!

In the end BMR isn't a very useful number beyond "oh that's interesting".
    Real world results from what you actually eat and how active you are plus what exercise you do are what matter.
    All the estimates in the world just give you a start point.

Thanks for this! I'm still learning a lot about it so glad I asked!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of warning flags about your trainer TBH. Missing the obviously false BF reading and pushing the vibroplate thingies. Gimmicky stuff isn't required if they are saying it doubles your effort it's frankly a load of cobblers!

Be aware that it doesn't take much to get your personal trainer qualifications. My son passed his gym instructor & PT qualifications here in the UK and we were both surprised quite how low the bar is set.

There's good PT's and there's poor PT's of course but being qualified is just the start and no real guarantee of the quality of training and advice. Not saying don't use them but just have a measure of cynicism about their methods and advice.