Slimfaster's

Options
Hi any one doing the Slimfast diet ?wanna be buddies on here? X

Replies

• lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't we all?!!! I think there's a misconception that slimfast is all shakes - you do eat proper food just calorie controlled!
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the actual Slimfast diet, but I have used the shakes as a replacement for breakfast and/or lunch. Need to start doing that again.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Don't we all?!!! I think there's a misconception that slimfast is all shakes - you do eat proper food just calorie controlled!

I eat pizza, ice cream, steak and I drink wine. All in my daily caloric goals and I've lost 38lbs.
    My heart just did a flip. <3
  • Nurse_81
    Nurse_81 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauraemily
    I'm doing a similar plan, it's called exante which is shakes/bars but I don't have 3 a day I just have 2 and a proper meal
    I know people will critisise meal replacement diets but it's our choice and I find this sort of diet easier as it don't have to think about what it eating for most of the day and it does help me keep on track, I also look foward to my evening meal :)
    How are you doing on it?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would have less issue if people had a plan fr when they stop using shakes. Now and again? Sure, why not, I've been known to chug a (much cheaper and better quality) protein shake to bring my calories up if I've had a busy day but I don't see how this prepares anyone for maintenance. You're hardly going to live on shakes for life are you?
  • FionaPlum
    FionaPlum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All diets need an exit plan for maintenance, there is no reason to think that the low calorie dieters will have any better time maintaining the weight loss than the meal replacement lot as we all know people who lose weight, think they no longer need to calorie count and then pile it all on plus some. Most people on here know that from experience as this isn't their first time round.

Only those with an exit plan are going to keep the weight off. A meal replacement person with their head screwed on can be more successful keeping the weight off than a calorie counter who misguidedly thinks they are 'finally free of calorie counting'. Now they have the added quick route to piling it on faster as they now weigh less and the allotted maintenance calories are lower than when they were overweight. So they go back to old ways, eat as they did and sure enough rapid weight gain ensues.

OP good luck with it. I get the impression you don't have much to lose from another thread so you're prob already knowledgeable about healthy choices/lifestyle.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the Slimfast diet is "a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner".

So I assume that on the back of the can they tell you what a "sensible dinner" is, encouraging you to weigh it on a food scale and telling you how many calories that dinner should be so that you remain at a caloric deficit. That would be a pretty neat trick, since each person's caloric needs are different, but yeah. I'm sure the plan is great.
  • kkmsann
    kkmsann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aww, I wish you received a better response on here. Everyone's journey is different and we all do what works for us and meets our lifestyle needs. People use all kinds of meal replacements line Shakeology, Protein Powders etc. but for whatever reason Slimfast gets a bad wrap. I'm not a Slimfaster but I definitely replace meals for breakfast as I'm rushing out the door. I encourage you to keep doing what's working and be open to suggestions if your feeling stuck! We got this. My preferred replacement is Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal and I just add 1/2 banana and Greek yogurt to fill it out. Good luck!

• Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Slim fast? Why do people fall for these slimming products? I don't recommend Slim fast at all OP. It's a quick fix. Make life stile changes to loose weight and keep it off.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes of any kind leave me ravenous less than an hour later! Any time I have tried them, I have wound up way over on my calories because I am so hungry.
    FionaPlum wrote: »
    A meal replacement person with their head screwed on can be more successful keeping the weight off than a calorie counter who misguidedly thinks they are 'finally free of calorie counting'

I am not sure how meal replacement plans help a person to "screw" their head on. There is little thinking about how to make good choices about food. Grabbing a premade shake will teach you nothing. Also, by your reasoning, won't a shake person think they are "finally free of eating shakes"?

The reason I am successful this time is I have learned about food. I have learned how to be around food, and eat the right kinds of food and manage my intake - none of which is stressed on a meal replacement diet. I will probably never be free of calorie counting because it has become second nature. I am more conscious about the foods I eat and more informed about the calorie content in them. If I relied on shakes to do it for me, I would have learned nothing!

• rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    kkmsann wrote: »
    Aww, I wish you received a better response on here. Everyone's journey is different and we all do what works for us and meets our lifestyle needs. People use all kinds of meal replacements line Shakeology, Protein Powders etc. but for whatever reason Slimfast gets a bad wrap. I'm not a Slimfaster but I definitely replace meals for breakfast as I'm rushing out the door. I encourage you to keep doing what's working and be open to suggestions if your feeling stuck! We got this. My preferred replacement is Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal and I just add 1/2 banana and Greek yogurt to fill it out. Good luck!

^^^^^^^^
    This!!! You did get some pretty poor responses from some purists here. When I first started my weight-loss journey up around 225 lbs. I didn't have access to whole foods during my work day., or ways to keep those foods safe during the work day. So I did do a lot of slim fast bars and slim fast shakes. Zone bars were also a frequent go to. They all had decent macros and it's a helluva better choice than some others. The most important thing is go with what works for you now. Eventually you will evolve to what will work for you down the road. Think of this as a long term journey and not a sprint.

I'm not doing Slimfast now, but please feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Despite some of the responses MFP is a great support structure that has helped me achieve my goal weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rhauser44 wrote: »

^^^^^^^^
    This!!! You did get some pretty poor responses from some purists here. When I first started my weight-loss journey up around 225 lbs. I didn't have access to whole foods during my work day., or ways to keep those foods safe during the work day. So I did do a lot of slim fast bars and slim fast shakes. Zone bars were also a frequent go to. They all had decent macros and it's a helluva better choice than some others. The most important thing is go with what works for you now. Eventually you will evolve to what will work for you down the road. Think of this as a long term journey and not a sprint.

I'm not doing Slimfast now, but please feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Despite some of the responses MFP is a great support structure that has helped me achieve my goal weight.

Not agreeing with someone's choices because experienced people have discovered that these shakes are a scam =/= "You did get some pretty poor responses from the purists here." How does that make me a "purist" - whatever that is? There's nothing "pure" or even "clean" about my diet - I eat a well-balanced, healthy diet that includes lots of treats like chocolate, ice cream and chips, because having lost 75 lbs, I know that deprivation - for me - is neither sustainable long term, nor realistic. And it's also not necessary. ;)
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

THIS. I use a scoop of Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal daily. At first I just mixed it with water in a shaker. I'm Someone who HATES cooking and has never really enjoyed munching on fruits or vegetables (unless they are in a salad that I DIDN'T have to make). I hate food prep so much that even just pulling out my blender drives me mad. I did however decide to blend in some fruits and veggies (strawberries, bananas, spinach, cucumber, radish) with my garden of life powder one day and I have never turned back. It has become my pain free way of consuming my daily veggies, as well as getting in the awesome protein and other nutrients the shake contains. I have lost 40 pounds since December, when I started drinking this stuff. I also do a lot of running, I log daily, and keep a deficit. So the weight loss is not FROM drinking the shakes, but they are a HUGE part of my program, and as long as Garden of Life continues the product, I will forever be a consumer. The stuff is THAT GOOD.

Edited to add: I also eat pizza, ice cream, (no steak, not a fan) wine, and even beer. Still...I always have some sort of meal replacement shake in the cupboard. Sometimes it's just my meal of choice for the moment.