• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    debghutton wrote: »
    Cut out sugar and carbs when I lost my 25 lbs...having a hard time figuring out how to "be normal."

This is why people suggest not making any changes while "dieting" that you wouldn't adhere to forever. Figuring out how to include foods you once loved without undoing your progress can be challenging.

OP my approach to weight loss was to not focus on what I would cut out (other than excess calories) but rather what I could add... More protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. I found by adding those things to my daily habits but still allowing room for the foods I love in moderation and as I could fit them in led to a natural balance.

I lost the 30 lbs I set out to lose and the transition to maintenance was a breeze.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I cut out a lot of garbage food that I used to like and eat often. Kraft macaroni & cheese, Burger King Whoppers, McDonald fries, Taco Bell burritos to name a few.
    I learned how to make healthier substitutes for myself at home.
    A couple of months ago I had a Taco Bell burrito because I had been craving it for a few weeks. It tasted awful and left me feeling bloated and gassy.
    My whole wheat tortilla, black bean burrito with avocado, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce tastes so much better to me.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've never had success banning foods. However, it's extremely rare now for me to eat fast food or "cheap" pizza. If I'm going to eat a burger or pizza, I'm going to make it worthwhile and get something quality, or make it myself.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I haven't given anything up. But I dropped back bread and cheese a lot when I was at a deficit. Turns out dropping those were all I needed to lose 500 calories/day. Those got added back in more modest amounts when I went to maintenance.

Me too. They weren't taboo, but they were limited.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese and mayo had to be very slowly put back into (my mouth) my diet, but I still can't buy peanut butter or ill gorge on it!