Exercise advice

Options
I would like to lose weight in the lower part of the body but I'm afraid to do exercises because I hate muscles. I see that every exercise, like squats for example, would blow my leg muscles by thickening them. What I want is, no cellulite legs and without bulging muscles. What do you suggest me guys?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit and cardio.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I have been doing squats for years and am nowhere near looking muscular. Resistance training is good for you, so finding a form of it that you enjoy would be great, but it's so difficult to build any real kind of muscle mass.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, but you cannot pick and choose where it comes off, unfortunately. Eat a little less than you burn and you will lose weight all over.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You are not going to "blow your leg muscles" and thicken them by doing squats, or any other weighted exercise. It takes a LOT of time, focus on both diet and exercise, for a woman to gain muscle, let alone get bulky or bulging.

If you want to lose fat, eat at a small calorie deficit and exercise, whatever exercise you enjoy. A mix of resistance training of some sort, whether just body weight or using actual weights, along with some cardio works well. The resistance/strength training is great for reshaping the bod, as well as burning fat.

I do squats and deadlifts regularly with 60lbs of weight - if I had access to bigger weights, I'd lift even heavier. I have plenty of friends on my list here who squat and deadlift much, much more - not a single one of them is bulky, by any means. Lean and fit!
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't be affraid of the weight training. You can focus more on high reps... If you do to want to bulk you won't
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    More reps...low weights...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating in a deficit, moderate cardio and some strength training. My legs got tiny while doing a combination of running, treadmill walking with incline, and circuit-type workouts with dumbbells (things like: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, Denise Austin Body Boot Camp, The Firm Super Cardio). You can do strength training with free weights while in a deficit to help retain your muscle mass. You probably won't build much, if any, muscle mass while in a deficit. I started SL 5x5 after being introduced to power lifting by a coach. My legs are only a little bigger now after gaining 7lbs from my lowest weight.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Keeping well hydrated and not having too much sodium apparently also helps to lessen the appearance of cellulite.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Squats are making my legs tighter, not bigger.