It's Working - Thank You!

Options
I've used MFP for years. Lost weight, maintained for a few years, then 10 lbs. crept back on as I slacked off.

I'm 51, so I assumed it was fated for weight loss (and even maintenance) to be more difficult, if not impossible now. I was one who wondered why I couldn't lose weight, thinking I'm doing everything right. I had good intentions and the right idea... but in hindsight, I was doing a lot of estimating for food logging. Hey - it worked when I was younger!

I got serious and came back to MFP 4 weeks ago. As I read through the posts, the current themes of CICO and "weigh everything on a digital scale" became evident. Since I have a digital scale, I decided to weigh EVERYTHING. (In the past I would use - and trust - the info on the packaging). I'm amazed at how off packaged foods are in their weights, and thus the calories-per-item! (e.g., bagel thins... each one I weigh is several grams over the weight indicated by the nutritional info on the package!)

I've lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks. I eat back my exercise calories tracked by my Polar FT4. I'm still in shock that it's working, as I've struggled so hard in the past.

So, to all of you posting helpful, sensible (and non-snarky) advice, THANK YOU. :-)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Weighing food on a scale is a good idea, it's eye opening!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hellz yeah, it is! Makes a significant difference daily calorie totals.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's awesome! I agree...I'm so glad I'm using my food scale because what a difference it is making. Who knew how "off" these packaging labels are as well as our tablespoons and cups which are not precise.