Can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options
I'm on a calorie deficit of 1,200, but try to get as much protein as possible. I do cardio and weight lifting at the gym. Will this lead me to losing fat and gaining muscle?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not at 1200 calories. On a body recomposition you can, but that requires eating at/around maintenance and takes time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The muscle you have can get more efficient at lifting heavier weights, but you most likely will not build actual new muscle fibers if you're eating at a deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no new muscle fibers at 1200 calories. You will gain some strength in your current lean mass now but will not build new stuff unless you eat at a surplus..

Recommend recomp, only if you just want to "fart around" with maintaining and doing some heavy lifting but not looking for much results..
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So then...is it best to wait until you are close to your goal weight before starting weights?
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I agree with these replies. I asked the same question about 2.5 months ago when I started my strength training also on a deficit. And I have to say even though I "theoretically" am not "gaining" muscle mass, that is totally fine with me as of right now because I tell you, the fat is melting off and my shape is changing. I feel stronger everyday and set new personal bests every single week.

This is so empowering.
    If at some point I want to build or recomp or anything then i will right ?

:smiley:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So then...is it best to wait until you are close to your goal weight before starting weights?
    No. Because lifting while losing will help to condition the muscle you currently have. The only thing one would have to change to add muscle is calorie intake (surplus).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It's easier to preserve the muscle you have now ( by lifting weights now) than build new muscle later. Building muscle is hard. Preserving what muscle you have is easier.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

No. Lifting now will help preserve the muscle you have and avoid looking "skinny fat" when you reach your goal weight due to muscle loss.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No. Because lifting while losing will help to condition the muscle you currently have. The only thing one would have to change to add muscle is calorie intake (surplus).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So, I'm confused. Will lifting at a deficit lean me out and define me more? I still do cardio and eat at a deficit but I want the lean muscle look. Female 43 yo, 5'9", 1350 calories a day, 172 CW
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with these replies. I asked the same question about 2.5 months ago when I started my strength training also on a deficit. And I have to say even though I "theoretically" am not "gaining" muscle mass, that is totally fine with me as of right now because I tell you, the fat is melting off and my shape is changing. I feel stronger everyday and set new personal bests every single week.

I'm exactly the same - eating at a deficit and I'm much more muscly. Don't listen to the naysayers - newbie gains are awesome!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So, I'm confused. Will lifting at a deficit lean me out and define me more? I still do cardio and eat at a deficit but I want the lean muscle look. Female 43 yo, 5'9", 1350 calories a day, 172 CW

Basically, yes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »

I'm exactly the same - eating at a deficit and I'm much more muscly. Don't listen to the naysayers - newbie gains are awesome!!

Just because you're "more muscly" doesn't mean you added mass. Ya you probably had some newb gains, but after that you're lifting to preserve muscle there by stripping away the fat covering the muscle you're preserving and becoming "more muscly"

It's not nay saying, it's explains how lifting in a deficit works.