is it normal to have daily headaches in a calorie deficit?

Options
13»

Replies

• skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I am just here to not only agree with the sentiment that you need to eat more, but as experience as well.

I am 5'9", and used to get the same headaches back in the day. Daily, dull, and persistent. I would eat 1200-1400 calories. Started off about the same weight as your current. It wasn't until I upped them that I felt better. Even now, my diary is set to lose .5lbs a week and gives me 1620. But because I'm training for a marathon, I also run 5k a day or more so I eat about 2000-2200 and lose weight. So I'm here to say that you can up it and still lose weight, just not at the 2lbs a week which is too aggressive anyways. Just make sure that your log stays accurate using a food scale.

Thank you for sharing your experience :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    TinklesOdd wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    hello, I've been logging for 40 days on MFP, i am 173 cm (5 ft 8 in), my starting weight was 84 kg (185 lbs) and my current weight is 78 kg (172 lbs). i am eating the amount of calories as advised by my diary (1210 calories).
    i also started running and doing indoor cycling, been doing good for the first 25 days but stopped because of my M.Sc exams, will start working out again next week.
    my question is, i've been having a daily headache for the past week or so. is it normal? could it be related to my diet?
    note that the weather got extremely hot in the past few days, i've been trying to stay hydrated throughout the day so i don't get dehydrated.
    my boyfriend keep telling me that it is not because of the weather or exams and that it is normal and you should feel that way when you are on a low calorie diet. any help?

Are you eating back any exercise calories? If not, then that would explain the headaches. You're on a 1210 calorie diet but probably netting less than 1000 on most days.

i haven't worked out for over a week, but when i used to workout, i tend to eat just a few of my exercise calories, my average net calorie over the past week is 1054 calories

1054 when you are 5'8" - why?

Guess you have set an aggressive rate of weight loss and not eating back exercise calories is making your deficit excessive irrespective of headaches or not.

I agree. That's a crazy-low amount of calories for your height and weight.

I'm 5'8", currently 165. I started out with 1200 - long, long ago before I knew better. Once I learned more, I set a less aggressive deficit and added exercise calories and ate some of those. Last year I also bought a Fitbit (Charge model) and my deficit is based off of the burn provided by myFitbit. I lose (slowly, by choice) eating a daily average of probably around 1800, maybe closer to 1900.

I'm guessing you chose 2lb/wk. At your weight, you shouldn't have a goal of more than 1 lb/wk; .5 lb/wk would be better. Of course, it's also important that you log accurately in order to make sure you are actually creating the deficit you chose. Just be aware, everything is an estimate - some are just more accurate than others - and you need real world results before you will know how accurate the numbers are. That's true for everyone. Choose reasonable goals. Meet those goals for 4-6 weeks. Adjust as necessary.

And tell your boyfriend he's crazy if he thinks eating more than you are won't get you to your goals (unless I misread your statement).

i am afraid i will feel guilty when i eat just a little more. i've had like two days in the past month when i ate more than 1500 "almost 1700". but other than that. when i eat even 100 calories more. i feel like i am not going to lose weight.
    i am logging accurately, in the first week of logging, i didn't have a kitchen scale, but i've bought one to make sure i just don't eat more than i should.

You feel that way, but you do understand that that feeling is not rational, and does not reflect reality, don't you?
  • EItadakimasu
    EItadakimasu Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    No, it's not normal to have a headache when dieting. I see several potential causes, some which are already mentioned.
    1. Caffeine withdrawal. - that should sort itself out in a couple days
    2. Exam withdrawal. - time for a party!
    3. Just not enough calories. - up your calories by at least 200 a day. You'll still lose and you'll have more energy.
    4. Anemia. Get more iron in. Raisin bran for breakfast, and steak for dinner.
    5. Electrolyte imbalance. Salt your food.

The anemia one is so important!
  • skyhowl
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    No, it's not normal to have a headache when dieting. I see several potential causes, some which are already mentioned.
    1. Caffeine withdrawal. - that should sort itself out in a couple days
    2. Exam withdrawal. - time for a party!
    3. Just not enough calories. - up your calories by at least 200 a day. You'll still lose and you'll have more energy.
    4. Anemia. Get more iron in. Raisin bran for breakfast, and steak for dinner.
    5. Electrolyte imbalance. Salt your food.

The anemia one is so important!

i was anemic 3 months ago, i took iron supplements for 1 month but didn't do any blood test recently. then i started dieting. i will do a blood test soon. :) thank you
  • skyhowl
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    hello, I've been logging for 40 days on MFP, i am 173 cm (5 ft 8 in), my starting weight was 84 kg (185 lbs) and my current weight is 78 kg (172 lbs). i am eating the amount of calories as advised by my diary (1210 calories).
    i also started running and doing indoor cycling, been doing good for the first 25 days but stopped because of my M.Sc exams, will start working out again next week.
    my question is, i've been having a daily headache for the past week or so. is it normal? could it be related to my diet?
    note that the weather got extremely hot in the past few days, i've been trying to stay hydrated throughout the day so i don't get dehydrated.
    my boyfriend keep telling me that it is not because of the weather or exams and that it is normal and you should feel that way when you are on a low calorie diet. any help?

Are you eating back any exercise calories? If not, then that would explain the headaches. You're on a 1210 calorie diet but probably netting less than 1000 on most days.

i haven't worked out for over a week, but when i used to workout, i tend to eat just a few of my exercise calories, my average net calorie over the past week is 1054 calories

1054 when you are 5'8" - why?

Guess you have set an aggressive rate of weight loss and not eating back exercise calories is making your deficit excessive irrespective of headaches or not.

I agree. That's a crazy-low amount of calories for your height and weight.

I'm 5'8", currently 165. I started out with 1200 - long, long ago before I knew better. Once I learned more, I set a less aggressive deficit and added exercise calories and ate some of those. Last year I also bought a Fitbit (Charge model) and my deficit is based off of the burn provided by myFitbit. I lose (slowly, by choice) eating a daily average of probably around 1800, maybe closer to 1900.

I'm guessing you chose 2lb/wk. At your weight, you shouldn't have a goal of more than 1 lb/wk; .5 lb/wk would be better. Of course, it's also important that you log accurately in order to make sure you are actually creating the deficit you chose. Just be aware, everything is an estimate - some are just more accurate than others - and you need real world results before you will know how accurate the numbers are. That's true for everyone. Choose reasonable goals. Meet those goals for 4-6 weeks. Adjust as necessary.

And tell your boyfriend he's crazy if he thinks eating more than you are won't get you to your goals (unless I misread your statement).

i am afraid i will feel guilty when i eat just a little more. i've had like two days in the past month when i ate more than 1500 "almost 1700". but other than that. when i eat even 100 calories more. i feel like i am not going to lose weight.
    i am logging accurately, in the first week of logging, i didn't have a kitchen scale, but i've bought one to make sure i just don't eat more than i should.

You feel that way, but you do understand that that feeling is not rational, and does not reflect reality, don't you?

umm. sometimes i believe it reflects reality. i guess it is something i have to discuss with my therapist. i don't know