Cross fit

Options
Cross fit, what does everyone think of it for weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Are you currently doing crossfit? Add me as a friend ;) crossfit is awesome but remember diet is important to wieght loss more then exercise. If you eat back all your burned calories you wont lose wieght, burn more then you eat to lose.
    With that being said, crossfit had helped me get in the best shape ever! I have done alot of different exercises but crossfit im in love with. Its great for losing inches and getting muscle.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is for fun, not for weight loss. That said, many people who adopt a exercise program find it easier to keep the number of calories they burn higher than the number of calories they consume, and they find that exercise can improve the way their body looks and feels, which also helps weight loss efforts because it is motivating.
    I really think Crossfit is a excellent exercise program because your workouts are different every time you go in, so it is less of a grind than many other forms of exercise, which tend to be repetitive, and there is a fun social aspect missing with solo weight lifting in the gym and running, unless you belong to a running group.
    Good luck.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Crossfit is for fun, not for weight loss. That said, many people who adopt a exercise program find it easier to keep the number of calories they burn higher than the number of calories they consume, and they find that exercise can improve the way their body looks and feels, which also helps weight loss efforts because it is motivating.
    I really think Crossfit is a excellent exercise program because your workouts are different every time you go in, so it is less of a grind than many other forms of exercise, which tend to be repetitive, and there is a fun social aspect missing with solo weight lifting in the gym and running, unless you belong to a running group.
    Good luck.

This.

You can lose weight with no exercise. You can gain weight training for a marathon. It's all about calorie intake.

Keep in mind people often gain weight intially when starting an exercise program due to increase in glycogen stores. Usually it levels out after a month or so.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Although cross fit activities can be performed for some weight loss, it's more of a profession in the fitness world, allowing some teams to be sponsored, and to become Olympians. Your body and mind have to be in good health; hence why most cross fit training gyms don't have mirrors, and work strictly as a team. Try sticking to regular or pre designed exercise routines for the moment. The concept around Cross Fit, is to be Cross Fit, fit and able to perform and complete numerous challenging back to back trials that are mostly timed and that require great performance and ability across the board, if you're injured, you're most likely to be swapped out and around like a professional sports player you see on a team. Instead of performing rapid cardio activities, Cross Fit involves more rapid performance of strong man activities(and challenges.)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll tell you something, my box is amazing!!!!! I love going to CrossFit, it's the only positive thing in my life right now and it's what I look forward to each day. I've gained incredible amounts of strength and can do things you'd never believe someone my size would be able to do.

However, I will tell you if I don't watch what I eat, I don't lose weight. I will also tell you that even when I'm not losing weight, sometimes I do recomp and I lose inches. I've lost 27 lbs since January but that doesn't even scratch the surface of how different my body looks. I lost over 4 inches of my bra (band size), over 5 inches between my hips and belly. I could have lost 50 lbs by now if I had started counting calories back in January. But I'm not mad about it.

I'm just in awe everyday of what I can do that I couldn't do when I walked in on December 6. When I started I couldn't do a single push up in plank position. Over Memorial Day weekend, I completed Murph and did all 200 push ups from plank position. I won the gym's fitness challenge and have become the MVP for the month of May at my box. I'm by no means the thinnest. In fact, I'm one of the heaviest. I have the worst endurance, but I go there, throw my *kitten* down and do what I have to do. I don't make excuses. If my legs aren't completely shot afterward, I go do the C25K at the track to work on my endurance. In CrossFit, you get out what you put in. If you push yourself and don't give up then you'll be just blown away at how far you've come in just six months. Pounds lost or not.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Although cross fit activities can be performed for some weight loss, it's more of a profession in the fitness world, allowing some teams to be sponsored, and to become Olympians. Your body and mind have to be in good health; hence why most cross fit training gyms don't have mirrors, and work strictly as a team. Try sticking to regular or pre designed exercise routines for the moment. The concept around Cross Fit, is to be Cross Fit, fit and able to perform and complete numerous challenging back to back trials that are mostly timed and that require great performance and ability across the board, if you're injured, you're most likely to be swapped out and around like a professional sports player you see on a team.

Do not listen to this guy. The main training goal of Crossfit is to make you more physically fit all around. Crossfit programing incorporates power lifting, Olympic lifting, gymnastics, general calisthenics, throwing, and metabolic conditioning. In a CF class, everyone does the same workout. The coach will scale the weight and reps to meet your fitness level if needed. You will not be sidelined for poor performance. You do not need to get fit prior to attending a class. As a matter of fact, most good CF coaches will prefer that you come in not having done any prior training. They enjoy developing you as an athlete from the ground up and you don't the chance to form bad habits.

I didn't really lose weight doing Crossfit, I lost inches:-) I went from a size 10 to a size 6 and my general fitness increased tremendously. I really wasn't trying to lose weight though. I was eating at maintenance.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Although cross fit activities can be performed for some weight loss, it's more of a profession in the fitness world, allowing some teams to be sponsored, and to become Olympians. Your body and mind have to be in good health; hence why most cross fit training gyms don't have mirrors, and work strictly as a team. Try sticking to regular or pre designed exercise routines for the moment. The concept around Cross Fit, is to be Cross Fit, fit and able to perform and complete numerous challenging back to back trials that are mostly timed and that require great performance and ability across the board, if you're injured, you're most likely to be swapped out and around like a professional sports player you see on a team. Instead of performing rapid cardio activities, Cross Fit involves more rapid performance of strong man activities(and challenges.)

This guy has no idea what CrossFit is. It's not just the stuff you see on ESPN. The majority of CrossFitters are not professional athletes. They're moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, single people with full time jobs that are looking for a good workout where they don't have to think, don't have to spend a lot of time in the gym, but get's them fit. CrossFit is scaleable for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how many countless videos I've watched of people doing CrossFit who are missing limbs, are so overweight or elderly that if they lay on the floor they can't get back up, that have downs syndrome, or other complications. Some of these people their first workout is literally just bending over and picking something off the floor and putting it up on something, or walking around the building. By no means do you need to be a professional athlete.

At my gym there's a kid who is 14, ranked 9th in the world, and going to the CrossFit games. Then there is me, who can barely run 400 meters on a day my allergies aren't trying to kill me and sometimes we workout together. We did Murph the other week (the 200 pushups I was talking about above) and it took me 1 hour and 27 minutes to complete it. Other in my gym completed it in 37 minutes. When they do pull ups, I do ring rows. When they do muscle ups, I do ring dips. When they're over lunging 70#, I'm overhead lunging 25#.

There is always a way to scale the workout so someone can do it. CrossFit has nothing to do with being a professional athlete. And injuries, common in all sports, can always be worked around.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    Options
    Although cross fit activities can be performed for some weight loss, it's more of a profession in the fitness world, allowing some teams to be sponsored, and to become Olympians. Your body and mind have to be in good health; hence why most cross fit training gyms don't have mirrors, and work strictly as a team. Try sticking to regular or pre designed exercise routines for the moment. The concept around Cross Fit, is to be Cross Fit, fit and able to perform and complete numerous challenging back to back trials that are mostly timed and that require great performance and ability across the board, if you're injured, you're most likely to be swapped out and around like a professional sports player you see on a team.

Do not listen to this guy. The main training goal of Crossfit is to make you more physically fit all around. Crossfit programing incorporates power lifting, Olympic lifting, gymnastics, general calisthenics, throwing, and metabolic conditioning. In a CF class, everyone does the same workout. The coach will scale the weight and reps to meet your fitness level if needed. You will not be sidelined for poor performance. You do not need to get fit prior to attending a class. As a matter of fact, most good CF coaches will prefer that you come in not having done any prior training. They enjoy developing you as an athlete from the ground up and you don't the chance to form bad habits.

I didn't really lose weight doing Crossfit, I lost inches:-) I went from a size 10 to a size 6 and my general fitness increased tremendously. I really wasn't trying to lose weight though. I was eating at maintenance.

This guy has no idea what CrossFit is. It's not just the stuff you see on ESPN. The majority of CrossFitters are not professional athletes. They're moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, single people with full time jobs that are looking for a good workout where they don't have to think, don't have to spend a lot of time in the gym, but get's them fit. CrossFit is scaleable for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how many countless videos I've watched of people doing CrossFit who are missing limbs, are so overweight or elderly that if they lay on the floor they can't get back up, that have downs syndrome, or other complications. Some of these people their first workout is literally just bending over and picking something off the floor and putting it up on something, or walking around the building. By no means do you need to be a professional athlete.

At my gym there's a kid who is 14, ranked 9th in the world, and going to the CrossFit games. Then there is me, who can barely run 400 meters on a day my allergies aren't trying to kill me and sometimes we workout together. We did Murph the other week (the 200 pushups I was talking about above) and it took me 1 hour and 27 minutes to complete it. Other in my gym completed it in 37 minutes. When they do pull ups, I do ring rows. When they do muscle ups, I do ring dips. When they're over lunging 70#, I'm overhead lunging 25#.

There is always a way to scale the workout so someone can do it. CrossFit has nothing to do with being a professional athlete. And injuries, common in all sports, can always be worked around.

Thank you for practically repeating what I've already said, as well as doing or summing up what little research you've actually done.
  • antennachick
    Options
    You have no clue! Only a small percent of people at a box may even compete. And swapped out? What the heck? Its like a gym, you pay to workout, you arent going to be 'swapped out'. And people that are hurt or need a lower impact day, still come to the gym and get help to recover. Its a community not a competition
  • antennachick
    Options
    I'll tell you something, my box is amazing!!!!! I love going to CrossFit, it's the only positive thing in my life right now and it's what I look forward to each day. I've gained incredible amounts of strength and can do things you'd never believe someone my size would be able to do.

However, I will tell you if I don't watch what I eat, I don't lose weight. I will also tell you that even when I'm not losing weight, sometimes I do recomp and I lose inches. I've lost 27 lbs since January but that doesn't even scratch the surface of how different my body looks. I lost over 4 inches of my bra (band size), over 5 inches between my hips and belly. I could have lost 50 lbs by now if I had started counting calories back in January. But I'm not mad about it.

I'm just in awe everyday of what I can do that I couldn't do when I walked in on December 6. When I started I couldn't do a single push up in plank position. Over Memorial Day weekend, I completed Murph and did all 200 push ups from plank position. I won the gym's fitness challenge and have become the MVP for the month of May at my box. I'm by no means the thinnest. In fact, I'm one of the heaviest. I have the worst endurance, but I go there, throw my *kitten* down and do what I have to do. I don't make excuses. If my legs aren't completely shot afterward, I go do the C25K at the track to work on my endurance. In CrossFit, you get out what you put in. If you push yourself and don't give up then you'll be just blown away at how far you've come in just six months. Pounds lost or not.
    Good job doing Murph! And the 'man' push ups!
  • ChristopherLimoges
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You have no clue! Only a small percent of people at a box may even compete. And swapped out? What the heck? Its like a gym, you pay to workout, you arent going to be 'swapped out'. And people that are hurt or need a lower impact day, still come to the gym and get help to recover. Its a community not a competition

I do have a clue. Sorry that you disagree.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options

I do have a clue. Sorry that you disagree.

No, no you don't.