Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What if you went every other day?

This^

I pick Friday to go out to lunch with everyone.

Because you're new - perhaps one day a week won't cut it. Maybe order a small side salad, and eat a sandwich at your desk when you get back from lunch. That way you can save some money & calories.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in the opposite boat now - I telecommute full time and am associated with an office over 1,500 miles away. At this point, I'd LOVE to be able to go out to lunch with my co-workers!

Before I moved, my husband worked and lived out of town for almost 9 years (construction management for large infrastructure projects around the country and I rarely moved with him from project to project (either the duration or the location wasn't worth it for me to give up my job)). I'd go out with co-workers most days for lunch and use that as my main meal of the day. Breakfast was usually yogurt and granola or eggs and fruit and then I'd have a light dinner in the evening (no kids so I could eat what/when I felt like it). I'm not sure if that is an option for the OP. Yes, it would cost me $7-10 a day (4x a week since we only worked half days on Fridays and everybody always seemed to have their own things going on) but it gave me some social interaction with other co-workers who didn't sit in the same cubicle section that I did or if cube-mates, a chance to vent outside the office!

Otherwise, on another thread, a poster mentioned that he logs his "unpredictable" meal as the next day's meal and then he could customize his other meals that day to reach his remaining goals. In his case, his spouse was in charge of the evening meal and he wouldn't always know exactly what they would have that evening. This could be an option for the OP. If they tend to go to the same places all the time, see if you can make REASONABLE special requests from the menu. For example, we used to go to the same place all the time for Mexican Monday and I was able to get fajita veggies instead of rice (I didn't like their particular rice flavoring) for little to no change in price (depended on which manager was the cashier of the day).

If you don't want to go out every day, I would suggest gradually cutting back so that way you're still part of the group if you're looking for that social interaction and still getting to know everyone. If they persist in asking why, I would tell them a general reason related to your ultimate goal. If the lunches out are too much on waistline, then a simple, I've been working on eating healthier and need to focus on that again or if it's too much on the wallet, then just a simple, I have a big purchase coming up and I'm trying to save up some extra cash for that. Say it with a smile and tell them that you'll go with them later in the week.
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'd rather be alone and stick to my healthy eating and not gain weight back than feel obligated to socialize and be tempted, but that's just me.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Because you're just getting to know them, I'd say go with them for a couple weeks at first. I did a course abroad and I packed my lunch every day. I ended up sitting alone and reading while people went out for lunch, and I didn't make any friends until it was practically over. That was a mistake I still regret. Of course, you'll talk to people eventually if you don't go out, but it will fast track knowing people and being comfortable there. I think that's valuable.

I'd suggest what another person mentioned, having a coffee/tea and eating your actual lunch before or after. You could bring it with you, though not all restaurants are cool with outside food. I think the "I'm saving money" excuse is the easier one, it doesn't come with as many personal questions or evaluations as "I'm watching what I eat." A coffee/tea should be about $2, so that is still a smaller expenditure than a full out meal, and you'd probably have an easier time bringing your own food if you buy something. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I completely get where OP is coming from because it was me 15 years ago... It's definitely a tough spot to be in, after a while I stopped going too (I didn't always like the places they went to) and I definitely started feeling a bit excluded. It's really not the same thing when you're new somewhere... there's really much more to it than 'just lunch'.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    glass one of them in the pub, they wont invite you anymore problem solved.

Stupidity aside, if its important to you then you'll make it work.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I go with mine, I don't eat anything. I maybe buy an unsweetened drink, though.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work in IT and have had the same issues. I had enough freedom to bring my lunch and eat it before or after going out. When I went out, most places allowed me to eat off the kids menu. That saved some money and portions were usually smaller.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The $$ will add up.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think this is an IT thing...

My coworkers do the same thing everyday, and always pick places like pizza parlors and burger joints. Not that there's anything wrong with it...I just don't see how they can do everyday without it costing a fortune. I bring my lunch, so they're used to me saying no. Sometimes one or two of them try to pressure me, but they know I'm stubborn, too. Why would I want to go get pizza or Italian everyday if I brought my delicious taco salad or homemade BBQ chicken? Besides, I'd be falling asleep at my desk within the hour if I ate heavier foods everyday!
    If you're feeling awkward about it, though, I like the idea someone suggested of going once a week or so. I'd just tell them you're trying to save money, which is true because you save a bundle bringing your lunch, haha. It seems awkward at first, but after awhile they'll get used to you declining and should hopefully be no big deal.
    Strange you should say that. Sorry to say, in my whole work career I have never ran into an IT person that was not obese. :\ Even the subcontractor who come in for the "super major" issues.