2 Questions

Options
1. Why do I get cold after I exercise. Just came home from the gym, normally never cold and I'm legitimately freezing 2. The gym I go to is Planet Fitness. I was wondering if anybody had any idea how many calories you burn doing 30 minute Express or 12 minute abs. Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    1) Not an expert (and I'm sure someone has a more scientific explanation), but it probably has something to do with how your body heats up while exercising. You sweat as your body is cooling itself down. But it takes a while for everything to go back to normal, so you feel cold until everything is regulated. It's probably worse the smaller you are. After my sister finishes her long runs, she needs to wrap herself up in a jacket, even if it's 100 degrees outside. She's ~105lbs, (about half my weight!) and short too, and is much more susceptible to temperature, especially after a workout.

2) When I did the 30 min Express when I was a member of PF, I'd either log it as 30min circuit training if I did it by itself or 60mins walking if I did 30mins on the treadmill first. I never logged the 12min abs as anything, or I included it in a longer circuit training workout. So, I guess whatever that would be for you at your weight! I think it was ~250 cals for me at 240lbs at the time, but I don't remember for sure and not sure if that's even accurate!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is a possibility:
    http://www.outsideonline.com/1783881/why-do-i-get-cold-after-working-out
    . . . When you finish exercising, your metabolic heat production immediately drops. But you’ll keep sweating for a while and continue to lose heat to the environment through the evaporation of that sweat. “How this affects your core temperature depends on your body’s shape and surface area to mass ratio,” Jay says. Women often have a high surface area to mass ratio, so they tend to lose more heat more quickly after a workout than men do, making them cold. (Taller, thinner men, Jay points out, also tend to experience the post-workout freezies more often than bigger guys.)