The difference in spinach

What's the difference between spinach from the salad section of the shop (usually washed) and spinach from the vegetables section (usually unwashed). Other than the washing is there any other difference. I normally still use the veg spinach for salads and it seems to work/taste fine! :#

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Popeye would enjoy either. Washed might be cleaner though. Buy the cheaper unwashed and wash it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    MHCbreanne wrote: »
    What's the difference between spinach from the salad section of the shop (usually washed) and spinach from the vegetables section (usually unwashed). Other than the washing is there any other difference. I normally still use the veg spinach for salads and it seems to work/taste fine! :#

Nutritionally- none. Spinach is spinach.
    Cost may be different.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    In the "salad section" everything has been prewashed and precut and ready to eat...so you're paying for the convenience of making a salad right there instead of at home. But the WHAT of what you're eating is exactly the same.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2016
    It's often cheaper. At my grocery store, the bags of kale salad mix is way more expensive per lb than the 5lb bulk bag of washed kale, which is also more expensive per lb than the individual heads of kale greens that I bag myself, destem, and wash. From what I noticed, the more prepared a food is, the more expensive it's going to be, but prepared food is going to be nutritionally the same as unprepared food (assuming nothing else is added).
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Price and usually the packaged kind has the stems cut shorter than the unwashed kind in the vegetable section.