Every other day diet

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Anyone every tried this. You eat 500 calories every other day then eat normally on the other days.

What does "eat normally" mean?

I've never tried it, but I feel like I would completely overeat after a 500 calorie day.

This diet won't work for everyone. I tried with two 500 calorie days and manitenance the other 5. Way too hard for me. Instead I ended up with a low of 800/1200 calorie days.....and maintenance on the weekends.

Look up your maintenance calories to find your normal: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    I only eat from 12 noon to 8 pm. Works great for me. Every other day thing I'm thinking about. Has anyone tried both? What can we expect to lose with every other day?

You weekly weight loss should still be in the same ballpark as everyday dieting. 5:2 and ADF are just alternate methods to help people stay consistent.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Every other day diet when you have lots of weight to lose.......

and 5:2 when you are closer to goal (helps preserve a larger % of existing percentage of lean muscle mass).
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I *personally* wouldn't be successful at this. I have a hard enough time keeping myself at my calorie goal as it is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I *personally* wouldn't be successful at this. I have a hard enough time keeping myself at my calorie goal as it is.

That's part of the attraction - you're only restricting / counting alternate days.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

That's part of the attraction - you're only restricting / counting alternate days.

Yes exactly, it's easier to diet every other day or 5:2 only 2 days a week than it is every single day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anyone every tried this. You eat 500 calories every other day then eat normally on the other days.

What does "eat normally" mean?

I've never tried it, but I feel like I would completely overeat after a 500 calorie day.

You would eat maintenance calories on the "normal" days...
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight doing ADF.

I bought these books to help me get a better understanding.

o9ahx5jlqw5e.jpg

what is ADF?
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrific. And not sustainable
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight doing ADF.

I bought these books to help me get a better understanding.

o9ahx5jlqw5e.jpg

what is ADF?

Alternate Day Fasting, or the every other day diet, both the same thing.
  • Krislynell
    Krislynell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    mzjamocha wrote: »
    I love it. Please feel free to add me. There is some solid research to the benefits of brief fasting. I have lost 4lbs on the plan and finally found freedom from obsessing over food. Ive noticed appetite decreasing on non fast days, more energy. My average caloric intake is about 1300-1600 calories so I have experienced steady weight loss. Nothing drastic. This is legit. Reviewed reasearch articles on PubMed by Dr. Varady. Will also be blogging about my experience.

Did you blog about your experience? What's the blog so I can check it out?

I'm thinking of trying this. .....
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am a huge vegetable lover. I go through periods where really I just crave vegetables and they will make up most of my calories for some days. These days are very easy for me in terms of feeling full. The added benefit is the calorie intake is very low on those days even when I add a dose of butter or cheese to my meals. I love eggs and usually have a stash of boiled eggs in the fridge that I will eat as-is or make into deviled eggs or egg salad which I may eat rolled in a lettuce leaf or on a celery stalk, or I will make something like a spinach and goat cheese omelette or fritata. I have not done the actual diet you mention however, but buy default some of my days do end up very low calorie. I have not had a day like that in a while because I feel compelled to publish my diary and MFP does not allow a calorie intake of less that 1,000 to be published.

I will add this plan is not for everyone. I have no problem going for long periods between meals. I tend to be busy and quite honestly I have to set a reminder to eat and drink. Other people get real hangry, tired, sluggish and maybe even hypoglycemic if they aren't used to the low calorie days. In short, listen to your body. If it feels as if you are benefiting and feeling well then keep it up. If you feel consistently bad on the 500 calorie days then maybe consider raising the calories by 50-100 ticking it up a little at the time until you find your best tolerated low calorie level.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem with these "fads"; once you lose the weight and stop doing this 500 calories every other day, you will most likely gain back your losses. Also, I personally feel I would pass out if I only ate 500 calories every other day. How will you have energy to work out? Or do you only work out the days you get to "eat normally"? I also don't understand what you mean by "eat normally". Would you still track calories on the "eat normally" day? Weigh foods or eyeball them?