Weighing Ketchup

Options
Sorry if this is a dumb question-

All the ketchup entries are in tablespoons and milliliters.
i weigh the ketchup on my kitchen scale, in grams.
If I weigh out 50 grams of ketchups, is that the same as 50 ml?
I'm really too lazy to take out a tablespoon and weigh it myself. Does anyone know offhand?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not a dumb question.
    Only water and a few other liqiuds weigh 1 gram per ml.
    My ketchup has 93 calories per 100 grams, says so on the label. Is there no such information on yours?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ml's are used for liquids, grams are used for solids, so it's not something you can really interchange. and yes, I just Googled that... :D
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My regular ketchup is 20 calories per 17g (listed as one tablespoon).
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a difference because of the density. You are likely getting less ketchup. However, because of the different densities of just about everything, it's not going to be off by much. My scale measures in mL, too, so I measure everything on the scale.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My ketchup has 93 calories per 100 grams, says so on the label. Is there no such information on yours?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say in grams. I'm not by my fridge, so I can't check for sure.

Thanks for all the answers everyone.
    K so can some math person please tell me:
    What has more calories, 50 grams of ketchup or 50 ml of ketchup? It's late here...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's not a dumb question.
    Only water and a few other liqiuds weigh 1 gram per ml.

Depending on what country the OP is in. I've noticed many of the labels here will have mL but no grams. Some have both, but not all. It makes high calorie things like the quality ice cream a bit challenging.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I may be super wrong but I've noticed that many things I eat (condiments, cream cheese, etc) are approx 15g = 1tbsp.