Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I have seen very little difference between weighing and measuring. I even spent a couple days doing both so I could check.

But everyone else does. I can't even find a slice of bread that matches the nutrition information. I'd love to know what you've been weighing.

Not EVERYONE else. When I got a food scale, I found I had been estimating pretty much right on.

And I don't eat bread anymore, but I've heard that before... so back when I ate bread, I tried it for 2 loaves of bread. The only pieces that didn't match perfectly were the heels (and sometimes pieces next to heels that were basically the heels when cut so there was just a very tiny thin 2-inch diameter circle of a heel).

Well packaged bread is not all bread..

Right - when I make my own bread, there is nothing on the label (there is no label on my homemade bread), but I have a recipe built for it. For that, I cut various size and shapes of pieces and I do weight each piece.

For packaged foods, I've done similar comparisons with other foods (started with bread because that is what was originally suggested as being wrong). The most variance I've ever seen was less than 3%... that was the most extreme, but most foods are spot on. A few are slightly off, and the 3% really seemed like a fluke. I'm really confused what others are buying where they are getting variances like 5% or greater on a regular basis.

The stuff that can be 5% or more heavier in my experience - granola/nut bars, English muffins (not Thomas, but another brand I forgot the name of), some frozen waffles (Waffle waffle - 60 calories off), Graze snacks being the worst (hello 70 extra calories flapjacks. Sigh.).

I get Oroweat brand English muffins and bread, the double fiber ones, and they are notoriously inaccurate. And almost always over the serving weight.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I decided to slow my rate of loss from a pound to half a pound and spent most of those extra calories on peanuts.

It's still shocking to see how much an ounce is.
  • jennas312
    jennas312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't purchased a food scale yet, but was wondering how it works exactly. So if one cup equals 8 ounces, but we're talking about cereal how would I know if it's equal to one serving or not? Would the scale read 8 ounces, or something else?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    jennas312 wrote: »
    Hi, I haven't purchased a food scale yet, but was wondering how it works exactly. So if one cup equals 8 ounces, but we're talking about cereal how would I know if it's equal to one serving or not? Would the scale read 8 ounces, or something else?

When you look at the nutrition facts for your cereal, there is a 1 cup (x grams). You want to use the food scale to calculate the grams and then log that many cups. For example, if the label serving size is 1 cup (59g) and the scale shows 87g, then you log 1.475 (rounded, of course) cups: 87 / 59 = 1.475 rounded to 3 digits
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Keep in mind there is a difference between ounces and fluid ounces. One is mass and the other is volume. 8 fl ounces is about 1 cup (that may depend on where you are). But that does not mean it weighs 8 ounces.
    One things like cereal there is usually both listed (here anyway). So one serving of multigrain Cheerioes is 1 cup or 29 grams. 29 grams is just over an ounce.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    wolfgirl78 wrote: »
    I'm also curious about why I should be weighing everything in grams instead of ounces (I'm now weighing in grams)

It's a whole lot more accurate, most scales will be to 1g, but only 0.1 of an oz (which is about 2.8g). That's pretty important for those tiny serving sizes.

It also makes the math easier. If you weigh in grams, you then look for the "per 100 grams" entries on verified or USDA entries in the food database.
  • savithny
    Options

Keep in mind there is a difference between ounces and fluid ounces. One is mass and the other is volume. 8 fl ounces is about 1 cup (that may depend on where you are). But that does not mean it weighs 8 ounces.
    One things like cereal there is usually both listed (here anyway). So one serving of multigrain Cheerioes is 1 cup or 29 grams. 29 grams is just over an ounce.

If something's mostly water, fluid ounces and liquid ounces are pretty much the same. They *are* the same for plain water.
  • savithny
    Options
    I think I'm the only person in the world surprised by cheese in the opposite direction. I'd been using "1 ounce" for the cheese on my bean burritos, but when I finally weighed it, it was less than a half-ounce. An ounce of shredded cheese is a LOT in a small tortilla.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

If something's mostly water, fluid ounces and liquid ounces are pretty much the same. They *are* the same for plain water.

But the poster was talking about cereal.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    wolfgirl78 wrote: »
    I'm also curious about why I should be weighing everything in grams instead of ounces (I'm now weighing in grams)

It's a whole lot more accurate, most scales will be to 1g, but only 0.1 of an oz (which is about 2.8g). That's pretty important for those tiny serving sizes.

I just weigh in grams because every single box has grams outlined and the usda specifies by 100 grams. Ounces would be fine as long as it's the same sale. it wouldn't make a significant difference as long as the scale is accurate. It just seems more likely that grams will be in the database and not ounces.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Today I got bonus calories because my slice of cheese was 1/2 an ounce instead of a full ounce. Scales rock!
  • jennas312
    jennas312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to order one today.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Jicama is the scales best friend. 100g fills the tummy and costs under 50 calories.

do you have stock in jicama Jerome? you are also promoting it. not everyone will like it either and wont be available in all areas either. my local walmart just started selling it.

I tried it once. I wasn't impressed. I must not know how to prepare it. I had some raw.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the peanut butter comments. I get more when weighing
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ive thought about buying a food scale, just hadnt gotten around to it, but after reading this thread Im walking to the store NOW to get one!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    yer I shocked my husband as I weighed bowl of ceral and it was like 4 portions but to him (used to be me) thats a normal bowl of cereal
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Rice was the biggest shock for me. Turns out what I thought was a serving is actually 5 times the of an actual serving. Ice cream made me happy. I thought I was buying a double serving when I bought large ice cream, but I was actually buying one serving and my usual ice cream was half a serving.
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I made a bakewell tart and when I costed the calories and realised it was 900 calories for 1 slice (not even that big) I was totally horrified. Haven't made it since!
  • leslienicole318
    leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I got my food scale a week ago and honestly I had been being pretty accurate without it. I slightly underestimated on a few things but more often I was overestimating how much I was eating. But the food scale definitely eases my mind by assuring me it is accurate!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Jicama is the scales best friend. 100g fills the tummy and costs under 50 calories.

do you have stock in jicama Jerome? you are also promoting it. not everyone will like it either and wont be available in all areas either. my local walmart just started selling it.

I tried it once. I wasn't impressed. I must not know how to prepare it. I had some raw.

Plain jicama doesn't have a lot of flavor but the texture and crunch is fabulous. I live in jicama country, if there is such a thing. I like to eat it in a salad or even on its own with a dip made from Greek yogurt.