coffee and weight loss...

Options
...or is it weight gain from coffee.

When it comes to calories, carb, fat and sugar, coffee is manna from heaven and fits quite well into the myfitnesspal diet.
However other reading is preaching against coffee increasing cortisol levels.

Anyone have any personal real life
info concerning their coffee intake and their weight loss journey?

My understanding: Cortisol= good, too much cortisol = fat

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I use coffee to suppress my appetite.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    to me it's a great go to snack. coffee just half and half. but just started the program and haven't weighed yet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, the worry will just increase your cortisol levels. Frankly, the effect of coffee is all dependant on dosage, ie. how much you drink. If you drink a huge amount you would likely be well served cutting down. Other than that, the effect on your cortisol levels will not be significantly more than if you worked out for an extended period of time which also temporarily raises your cortisol levels.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    it all depends on what you put into the coffee. Like tricksee said it will def surpress your appetite and speed up your metabolism as well since it will increase your heart rate a bit. I love flavored creamers but i have learned to use a lot less of it. I stick to 1 cup a day and either use 1 serving of whatever creamer i have or use the crap at work with sweet n low which i know is not the best for you. I cant handle my coffee black so thats not an option.

just my .02
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    regardless of the science behind it, i love my coffee. i've drastically changed my eating habits over the last month, and never considered giving up my coffee. now, i just use about a third of the cream and sugar i used to put into it - to me, that was the worst threat to my healthy eating.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. I make myself an almond milk latte every morning with a tsp of sugar in the raw. It's fantastic and I sip on it all morning which makes me not want to snack.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what the heck is cortisol, and why should i care??

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFm41R3FLVEZTUS1PdnNGRmhPZndFVXcAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Coffee has been super helpful when I need to kill cravings, especially sweet ones.

I drink coffee daily (1-3 cups), have it black with splenda and a bit of half&half. That's it, simple but still very yummy!!! Sometimes I'll also warm up a cup of almond or soy milk and add coffee to it with splenda. That's yumms too.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 1 cup to a pot on most days. I haven't noticed any impact on my weight loss as long as I track the calories that get added with it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a lot of coffee and I've lost 66lbs. With 2 young kids who like to wake up early, and working as a teacher, coffee gets me through the day :smile:

I just put milk in it, but I add it in my diary.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    541341_4408570127819_1766982028_n.jpg
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use coffee to suppress my appetite.

This is what I do, when IF. I haven't seen it hinder my weightloss. :)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    600952_10200794738286209_1612614219_n.jpg
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee! Two cups a day...actually four to six by my coffeepot. Use four tblsp half and half and mix in protein powder....perfect flavor for me w 22g protein and my caffeine....yum!

And oh yeah ive lost 44 lbs.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Actually that was the one "bad' habit i've picked up since losing weight was drinking coffee every morning and night. I worked from using sweetened creamers to now only drinking it black! and I love it. when it's black you can actually taste the coffee not all the sweetener junk.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I get nauseous as hell depending on what I have with my caffeinated things and how much caffeine is involved. The more caffeine I have, the more I need to mind what else goes down my throat. The things that play nice with a pair of Rockstars are not always the things I eat to lose weight. This isn't a situation of choosing between goals, but it is a challenge.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Coffee makes me poo.

Instant weight loss.
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Actually that was the one "bad' habit i've picked up since losing weight was drinking coffee every morning and night. I worked from using sweetened creamers to now only drinking it black! and I love it. when it's black you can actually taste the coffee not all the sweetener junk.

Yes.... the way it was supposed to be.

Dani. Thirsty?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee hasn't stopped my weight loss, at all. :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I need my coffee and believe cortisol might boomerang on
    me if I don't have it. Like others mentioned, it all depends
    on how you serve it up.