No motivation

Options
JD0710
JD0710 Posts: 26 Member
I'm finding it really difficult at the moment to find any motivation for exercising. Am I not getting enough sleep? Not eating the right foods? When I play squash or do my dance class I go.. No questions asked but when it comes to a run, cycle or one of my DVDs I lack motivation. How can I change this? I'm keen to get exercising but can't afford to constantly be doing classes right now.

Replies

• sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try YouTube for excercise videos, you might find something that appeals more, variety is better than repetition. Also try a running group? Exercising with others can help spur you on!
  • JamesBost2016
    JamesBost2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The SWORKIT app has alot of variety. Might help.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just go, and don't make it a choice. Having a routine will probably give you motivation. Setting some short term and long term goals will also give you motivation. If you want to motivate yourself to run, sign up for a race.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to improve your Will-Power and Interests.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    find a kind of exercise that is fun and engaging for you. or maybe you're not getting the results you want. possibly you just need a break?
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think the key for you is to figure out what is different about playing squash or going to your dance class compared to running, cycling, or doing a workout DVD.

One thought is that squash and dance class involve a level of social interaction, while running, cycling, and DVDs do not. It might be worthwhile to see about finding a running buddy (I will suggest that rescue dogs can make loyal running companions if you select a breed/age carefully, but a fellow human or two would also do the trick) or a cycling companion or group.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I'm beat and not feeling like going, would rather do anything than go, I go.

Then the next time that happens I think about how I did it before, and I go.
  • clay0904
    clay0904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe working out is about discipline and not motivation. Motivation may start the process but you will need discipline to continue. Make it a habit to work out as scheduled. Discipline in your diet and excersises will get you the results you are looking for, not motivation.
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want to workout so much but I can't because I injured my left foot 3 days ago :(
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Find something you like and do it regularly!!! I would think an active game of squash would be exercise....and Zumba is a type of dance...so both are exercise. Working out doesn't have to be in a gym or to a dvd. Anything that makes you move, sweat and raises your heart rate can be exercise!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Marshachia wrote: »
    I want to workout so much but I can't because I injured my left foot 3 days ago :(

Consider your injury and recovery part of your fitness process. You're right on track!
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try to find something where you lose track of time. If you like your dance classes, can you find something similar on YouTube that you can stream on your TV? What about trying something completely different on Youtube like Cardio boxing, baladi, Zumba, pilates, ballet? There are so many things available on Youtube that it's nuts.

Have you tried "weigth lifting"? You can do a lot at home with minimal investment (dumbbells or resistance bands or a suspension system). Again there are apps and youtube programs out there that you can try out.

If you are competitive maybe entering into a challenge of somekind on MFP, like 50 push-ups a day or a planking challenge?

Getting a MFP buddy who you will commit to reporting to every day and letting them know what kind of physical activity you did might also help if you are more motivated by social "pressure"

Keep trying until you find the right match for you! It's out there you just need to explore and find it :smile:
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    JD0710 wrote: »
    I'm finding it really difficult at the moment to find any motivation for exercising. Am I not getting enough sleep? Not eating the right foods? When I play squash or do my dance class I go.. No questions asked but when it comes to a run, cycle or one of my DVDs I lack motivation. How can I change this? I'm keen to get exercising but can't afford to constantly be doing classes right now.

Going to the gym and running aren't necessarily about motivation.

Motivation is a feeling, and unfortunately feelings are fleeing. If I only went to the gym or ran when I felt motivated to do so, I wouldn't get much done. Waking up at 5:30 in the morning to go to the gym before work blows.

However, a few things that make it easier for me to maintain the discipline necessary to get things done:
    - I see a trainer from work MWF. I know he can easily find my @$$ if I skip a day.
    - Knowing that I'm not gonna get my step goal done without doing some running or walking
    - Wanting to get better at running.

It helps to have others who will hold you accountable. By all means, don't choose a form of exercise you hate. But having an accountability partner will be instrumental for those times that, love it or hate you, you'd rather do anything but ____.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't wait for your motivation. Make a decision and do it. Go ahead and search for something you love, like, or tolerate...but decide that you will workout whether you feel like it or not.