I joined a Six-Weeks Fat Loss program. Should I go off keto and follow the program's diet?

Hi all,

I've been on a keto/low-carb diet for 4 weeks and lost about 7 lbs. Need to lose another 15 lbs or so to get to my desired weight of ~120 lbs. I'm 5' 1, female, 52 y.o., and started out at 143 lbs.

I want to start exercising and gain some strength. I'm pretty out of shape and have been sedentary. So I signed up for a six-weeks challenge with the goal of losing 5% body fat. (I don't like to go to the gym alone and I've only run for exercise in the past.) I was measured at 36.7% body fat so my goal for the six weeks would be to get to 31%.

The program consists of working out 5 times a week with trainers, 50 mins each time, and follow their low fat, high protein diet. The numbers come out to be about 1500 cals consisting of 88 g carbs, 35 g fat, 204 g protein.

My concern is with going off ketosis for six weeks.
Would it be possible to modify my keto diet to accommodate the physical activities that I'll be doing, instead of following their diet plan?
Or should I just follow the plan and restart keto after?
What are some pros and cons that you can think of?

Thank you all in advance for any experience or advice that you can share.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    That's a ridiculous amount of protein for someone your size!
  • quyenphan1
    quyenphan1 Posts: 6 Member

Right??!
    The high protein number comes from the 3 protein shakes that they want me to drink in between meals. The plan has me eating a meal or drinking a shake every 2.5 to 3 hours, like clock work! I guess I can whittle down the protein number.

I would totally stay with a keto plan if I know how much carbs I need for the workouts. How would I calculate that? I think the workouts involve switching between different activities. Will know better tomorrow because that's when it all begins.

I could try a targeted keto plan. Still figuring out how to hit the right numbers.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    quyenphan1 wrote: »

Right??!
    The high protein number comes from the 3 protein shakes that they want me to drink in between meals. The plan has me eating a meal or drinking a shake every 2.5 to 3 hours, like clock work! I guess I can whittle down the protein number.

I would totally stay with a keto plan if I know how much carbs I need for the workouts. How would I calculate that? I think the workouts involve switching between different activities. Will know better tomorrow because that's when it all begins.

I could try a targeted keto plan. Still figuring out how to hit the right numbers.

You do not need to drink a shake every 2.5 to 3 hours. Whoever is telling you that doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • quyenphan1
    I think their goal is to keep hunger at bay. We were told that we can have unlimited vegetables from the (short) list and we can also snack on lean protein if we get hungry.

How much carbs and protein would I need a day if I was to work out, lets say, 45 minutes at a medium-hard pace? My thinking is to have just enough carbs so I don't die doing the workouts but not so much that my body won't use up the fat.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Scam from them

... and you jumping around from one system to another is going to make things worse
  • quyenphan1
    Bob314159 wrote: »

... and you jumping around from one system to another is going to make things worse

This is where my concerns are. I don't want to eat their way, I like to figure out my own macros and food choices. I just want to use the workouts and the trainers that they have.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah - my trainer would love me to go off Keto, his workouts and body knowledge are 10/10, but he tried keto and it made him sick
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Does this have anything to do with Shaklee, Herbalife, etc, and a salesperson?
  • quyenphan1
    Does this have anything to do with Shaklee, Herbalife, etc, and a salesperson?

No, Janet. It's an outfit called The Camp Transformation Center. http://www.thecamptc.com/
    I joined the Fat Loss/Hard Body Challenge, not the more popular 20 lbs Challenge.

I need the exercise and the motivation but am not really buying into their food plan.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    I work out, play soccer, ride and I'm keto. You don't need carbs for exercise. You get your energy from fat and protein. Follow their training but stuff their diet.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    quyenphan1 wrote: »
    Bob314159 wrote: »

This is where my concerns are. I don't want to eat their way, I like to figure out my own macros and food choices. I just want to use the workouts and the trainers that they have.

Then just don't eat their way. Eat whichever way you prefer but do their workouts if that's the only thing you are interested in from them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think you are overthinking. Weight loss is about consistently eating in a calorie deficit. You don't need to follow anyones plan except your own. You don't need ketosis to do that, and not enormous amounts of protein. I'm also concerned about the low amount of fat on the proposed diet. If ketosis helps you with appetite control, and/or it's easy/tasty, I'd say stay with it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I bet they sell those shakes for a nice profit.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Sounds like a standard "transformation" routine.

The workouts should be pretty intense, probably highly resistance training based with short rest periods and some HIIT as well. You'll probably struggle if carbs are too low. Personally I would keep the 88g recommendation and play around with the protein / fat ratio if you are going to tinker with the routine.

That said if you are going to tinker with the routine then why do it in the first place?