Diet Depression

Options
Does anyone else have days that you are just depressed because you feel like your calories will be enough to last the day and you cant rationalize why you should not eat all that you used to?
I am losing at a good rate. 15+ lbs in 6 weeks. The feeling just hits me out of the blue.

I seem to hit these days every couple of weeks. Last time I went to bed angry and sad. Today I decided to fight back. I upped my calories to maintence and told myself if I needed more I could have them. I ended the day at my normal weight loss calories and have a measly 30 left over. I didn't need to eat to maintenance but for peace of mind I needed to know I could.

Anyone else hit days like this?

Replies

• wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "Calories will NOT be enough"
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I have those. Kind of. I sometimes go - "screw this. I'm doing a maintenance break for a month! I want to eat!" And it lasts for a day and then I get back :)
  • wickedmaineah
    Options
    Good to know I am not the only one. Hubby and I are doing this together but days I get like this I know I am intolerable. He always tells me I am beautiful no matter what I choose and he just wants me happy. Luckily he still loves me when I get cranky!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If I go over my daily goal I just shrug it off. Pretty close to goal weight so it doesn't matter if it takes an extra week or two. This is about sustainability to me and if I got discouraged over every day I went over, I probably would have quit months ago :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set to my maintenance calories. I try and stay under them, but if i choose to eat more then i don't see those nasty red numbers, and i know I won't gain any weight.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes all the time. I have my calories set to maintenance. Usually I stay under but there are some days I'm just sick of it lol!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Once I realized I could just eat at maintenance for a day or even a week I felt much better. When you have a large amount of weight to lose its important not to get burnt out. Take those maintenance days if you need to.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    What I would say is are you really not getting enough calories or just mad about the amount you are allotted. There are days when I obsess about what I am going to eat and if I will be full by the end of the day. As it turns out, I always am full by the end of the day. I am learning to not pay attention to the thoughts as much as possible and keep doing what I need to do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.

I eat a little more when I'm sleep deprived, and work hard at my sleep hygiene to make sure that is a rare event.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh man yes. I have a IDGAF day once in a while, then spend the rest of the week making up for it.. but it's still worth it!
  • wickedmaineah
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.

I eat a little more when I'm sleep deprived, and work hard at my sleep hygiene to make sure that is a rare event.

I had a hysterectomy when my 7 year old was born. No menstrual cycle for me and I am thankful for that!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've had "diet fatigue". I suddenly felt that this losing weight thing took forever and I was bored, tired of being overweight. Ten days later I hit "normal" BMI ;) But I've never been depressed or hungry or bored with my food, or felt that I should be entitled to eat more. Not once during 50 pounds loss.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get like that a lot and it's depressing
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. But mostly I just miss the mindless eating. Back when I didn't "have" to log my food or mind my nutrient levels. Back when potato chips were still my friend. *Sigh*
    But then, I get dressed in the morning and I can breathe after zipping my jeans. Makes it better.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I NEVER can't rationalize why I shouldn't or cannot eat.

IMO, you're doing your "diet" very crudely and rigidly. You're following the herd! :)

When you are feeling this kind of depression, anger, or any health-related issues due to very low calories, just eat. Mental and physical health comes first.

When you are healthy, ie lack of the issues I state above, there are plenty of chances that you can cut back. Those times are only challenging your so called willpower or the eating habit out of boredom, unnecessary cravings. When you are physically healthy, exercise is a breeze.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    oh yea big time , eating to maintenance sometimes , a diet break where you just eat at maintenance for a month or having a "i don't care" day is essential to keep sanity