stress eating.

over the last 2 years I have reached my weight loss goal. But over the last 2 months I seem to be slipping over stress. I have put back on 20 pounds (I realize some of it is water weight, but I am sure not all of it is.) I have been stressing over my medical assisting class, which I have been barley keeping my grades up not to loose my scholarship. plus on Tuesday i interview for my externship( really an interneship but with a different name not to confuse us with interns who went to med school.) I have been told recently as long as I do not majorly F$%king things up I will do fine. But It has been so long since I have been in school I am stressing. Plus the idea of starting a new career is getting to me. Any help get back on track would be helpful.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Do you log your binges?
  • amithrv
    amithrv Posts: 18 Member
    First of all congrats on ur weight loss. The major part in a weight loss journey is to keep off the weight which u have lost.. Don't skip meals dedicate 1hr for workout daily. . if u eating under stress. . look for doing things which ll relieve u rather than eating .. You have already done this .. So get back on track .. Start grinding the extra pounds ll fly away. Cheers
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    I can really relate to what you're going through. In my last semester of grad school I kept stress-eating. I also put on about 20lb, and I really, really wish that I had got it under control before I had let that happen. I managed to overcome it, so here's what worked for me.

Band-aid type fixes: I wanted to eat a bunch of stuff, so I ate low calorie food. Quite a lot of sugar-free jello/jelly, fudgecicles, hot chocolate and diet soda. Having a lot of low-calorie options available was helpful.

An actual fix: remember that we want to be able to maintain our weight loss for the rest of our lives. We are definitely going to come across rough and stressful patches of life, so we NEED to have a real way of dealing with it. When I finally stopped the mentality of "oh, I'll just fix it after I graduate", I felt much more in control of myself: take control NOW, prove to yourself that your weight loss journey has given you the tools to handle life in all sorts of situations. As you have realized, you are using food as a solution to stress. There are other ways to help yourself feel better when stressed. For me, long walks while reading a book was really awesome. Even just taking a step back when I went to reach for some food, and asking myself what I hoped it would achieve was a big game-changer for me. Try to find other ways to combat your stress, food is not a good long-term solution.

You can do this. The time for getting back on track is right now, no matter how hard it seems.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    over the last 2 years I have reached my weight loss goal. But over the last 2 months I seem to be slipping over stress. I have put back on 20 pounds (I realize some of it is water weight, but I am sure not all of it is.) I have been stressing over my medical assisting class, which I have been barley keeping my grades up not to loose my scholarship. plus on Tuesday i interview for my externship( really an interneship but with a different name not to confuse us with interns who went to med school.) I have been told recently as long as I do not majorly F$%king things up I will do fine. But It has been so long since I have been in school I am stressing. Plus the idea of starting a new career is getting to me. Any help get back on track would be helpful.

As a student, I feel your pain. Working full-time and studying for a bio degree part-time... ugh.

I don't know what your schedule looks like, but I find it helpful to establish a routine as soon as possible. Learn how you study best, and make a point of always allowing yourself more than enough time to review notes and materials. Often I found that having more time allowed for necessary breaks in studying, or to pursue another thread of research/study that very often served to clarify an unclear point. I also found that running - and exercise - before studying is SUPER helpful. It helped get rid of some of the stress and excess energy that, imho, contributed to my difficulties in sitting still long enough to do what needed to be done.

I suggest study tips because this helps reduce the stress; if you're more in control of school, it's less tempting to binge. As frustrating as it is to see calories if you're eating or binging, I might suggest logging them regardless!