Smartphones

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
Tragically, my dumb phone is teetering on the brink of death after 5 loyal years. It makes no sense to buy another phone with limited capabilities...so I'm getting a smartphone! The only problem is I have no clue which one to get. So folks, what phone do you have? Pros and cons? Is there anything in particular that makes your model more suited to your life than another phone?

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a tracfone, because the cell plans are too pricey.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone, I like it
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - I have had it since November and I absolutely love it. Pros: big screen, amazing HD video recording, great camera, pretty good front-face camera, huge amounts of internal storage space, puts iPhone 4 & 5 to shame (S4 does this even more). Cons: battery life (much improved with last update though, and can be improved even more with Juice Defender).
  • Sweaty_N_Hungry
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - I have had it since November and I absolutely love it. Pros: big screen, amazing HD video recording, great camera, pretty good front-face camera, huge amounts of internal storage space, puts iPhone 4 & 5 to shame (S4 does this even more). Cons: battery life (much improved with last update though, and can be improved even more with Juice Defender).

Juice Defender? Like a chastity belt for a smartphone?
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

LMAO! Yes, exactly. :P
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like the iPhone. Simple, not a lot of different OS crap to deal with.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Call a locksmiiiiith!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone 5 and love it. That being said, Apple ain't what it used to be. I may look at an Android next time.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's basically just a better S3. Battery life is better, and everything else has been updated so it's better.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    there are a number of phones out there that are good phones. what would you like to do on one? I would suggest staying away from the new Blackberry, if only for the sole reason that who knows how much longer they will be around. You have 3 general operating systems out there: Android, iOS (iPhone), and Windows. The Android and the iOS are much more popular at this point than Windows. But that doesn't mean you should eliminate it from consideration.

I would suggest thinking about what you want out of your phone, what is important to you - then find out which one will best serve you. Ultimately, the technology is amazing in any decent smartphone (Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc) that you will probably be happy with your choice - whatever you decide.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    If I were doing it in a situation like you're in, I'd probably buy a phone outright and go with off contract service. Something like a Nexus 4 from Google (unlocked for carrier) on T-Mobile data service. Would be $299-349 up front (as opposed to $199 for a top flight smartphone on contract. The savings in ongoing monthly costs for data would be about $25, so you make up the difference on the phone is under six months and get a lot more flexibility without the contract to switch carriers, not have to get out of contracts, and so on. And the Nexus 4 is google's current flagship device, so decent ongoing firmware support and a lot of custom development options if you need to get your nerd on like some of us.

Coming from a dumb phone, you'll be blown away with almost anything. The Nexus 4 is very close to as good as anything out there.

That said...work pays for an HTC One X+ with unlimited data for me. So...yeah.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone 5 and love it. That being said, Apple ain't what it used to be. I may look at an Android next time.

iOS7 looks like a significant update this fall - if you were talking about software here.
  • xMelGetsFit
    xMelGetsFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Iphone
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone 4S.

My husband just got the Galaxy S4.

If I were due for an upgrade I would definitely switch. His just seems better than mine.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I got a Motorola Atrix HD thing is built like a tank. Love it.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have an LG smartphone I got with straighttalk. $45/month for unlimited talk/text/web. Can't beat the price! Internet browsing is a little slow, but apps that use the internet work great!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    HTC ONE beats all of them :) Iphone is old news same old same the future is android

check out review of it

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/17/htc-one-review/
  • StopherJJ
    StopherJJ Posts: 79
    Options
    Galaxy S3! :)

Wal-Mart is selling them for next to nothing with a new contract.

It's a great phone and much larger and easier to use than the iPhones :)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love my HTC One. It does everything I need it to do, the battery lasts a decent time, its got enough storage for me, and is a good size, big enough to see the screen, small enough to still fit in my pocket or clutch. I was looking at the (Samsung) galaxy when I was looking, but it was just too big for me to be practical. The windows phone looks cool (and I have windows 8 on my computer so I like that setup), but its just too new still for me to believe it doesn't have issues. Even on my computers windows 8 has a lot to catch up on before its completely useful.
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options

iOS7 looks like a significant update this fall - if you were talking about software here.
    This.

I installed the beta and it was amazing. Can't wait for it to be released.