Need suggestions!!!!!!

amanda000002014
amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Two days with out soda. :) And it feels good. My taste buds no longer crave it. I was supposed to drink one 12 oz can a day and quit next week, but after drinking so much water the soda tastes to sweet. My mom is right I won't miss it. Now I am not getting enough calories in because the soda was taking up the space. Hmmm, empty calories are truly empty calories. Next up? Pizza? Chips? Noodles? I am not sure what because I need to find good replacement. Any suggestions? I am trying to eliminate the bad foods. I replaced my soda with water. Not sure how to go about this and get the correct amount of calories.

Replies

• MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Literally anything you want.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I love making zucchini noodles with a spiralizer in place of spaghetti noodles. Once it is sauced up, it tastes almost as good.
    I do veggies in dips rather than chips.
    I'm looking into trying cauliflower pizza crust - one of these weekends!
    I never was a soda drinker unless it was a mixer for alcohol, but I started drinking a lot of club soda or seltzer water with ice and fresh lime! No calories and deliciously refreshing. Also I feel classy as heck drinking it - I don't know why!

That all being said, it's more about calories in vs. calories out. You don't have to eliminate everything - just keep it in moderation or plan accordingly. Personally, I choose to do a lot of healthy swaps only because I can eat a larger portion of something like zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles (that serving size is depressing and also alarming when I think about how much I used to eat per sitting!) I still have my pizza days and such though, I just make them fit.

Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to challenge this. No foods are inherently good or bad. You can eat (and drink) anything you like, but some food (and drink) has more nutrients and will make you feel more full and energetic for the amount of calories they provide, and that's what's usually referred to as "healthy". Feeling good on the correct amount of calories is important if you want to lose/maintain weight, because that's a long term project, and we can sustain self imposed suffering only for a short time. Eating food you like usually makes you feel good. What you like will include both the taste and "mouthfeel" of the food, and the way you feel after you've eaten. It's also important that you know for sure how many calories you are eating - do you weigh and log all your food?

(It took me a long time to understand these quite simple principles, and it made me struggle a lot, so I really want others to not have to go through all that).
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Drink your water and have more food! :) I'm in the minority here, as I do believe in "good" and "bad" foods. I ate like crap for a long time, and I felt terrible. Yes, calories in vs calories out is what matters for weight loss, but the Twinkie diet and stuff like that is just bad for you. Long story short, my recommendation is to add more healthy fats. They're more calorically dense, so that will increase your calorie intake without a lot of thinking. For example, add a tablespoon of butter to your eggs, use more salad dressing, put cheese on your sandwich. If you'd rather have something with more volume, just eat an extra portion of chicken or even an extra snack throughout the day :) Good luck!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I love making zucchini noodles with a spiralizer in place of spaghetti noodles.

I know this is off topic, but do you know if you can freeze the zucchini noodles?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

I know this is off topic, but do you know if you can freeze the zucchini noodles?

http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Zucchini
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member

thanks for posting this! I may look into freezing them myself! Zucchini is expensive out of season!
  • amanda000002014
    I love making zucchini noodles with a spiralizer in place of spaghetti noodles. Once it is sauced up, it tastes almost as good.
    I do veggies in dips rather than chips.
    I'm looking into trying cauliflower pizza crust - one of these weekends!
    I never was a soda drinker unless it was a mixer for alcohol, but I started drinking a lot of club soda or seltzer water with ice and fresh lime! No calories and deliciously refreshing. Also I feel classy as heck drinking it - I don't know why!

That all being said, it's more about calories in vs. calories out. You don't have to eliminate everything - just keep it in moderation or plan accordingly. Personally, I choose to do a lot of healthy swaps only because I can eat a larger portion of something like zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles (that serving size is depressing and also alarming when I think about how much I used to eat per sitting!) I still have my pizza days and such though, I just make them fit.

Good luck!
    I have a six year old in the house my pizza days wont be over until she can cook for herself, lol! I heard of zucchini noodles never tried it before. I do like to sauté veggies with coconut oil and wine. I will look up the recipe for zucchini noodles and give it a try. Thank you :).

• amanda000002014
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Drink your water and have more food! :) I'm in the minority here, as I do believe in "good" and "bad" foods. I ate like crap for a long time, and I felt terrible. Yes, calories in vs calories out is what matters for weight loss, but the Twinkie diet and stuff like that is just bad for you. Long story short, my recommendation is to add more healthy fats. They're more calorically dense, so that will increase your calorie intake without a lot of thinking. For example, add a tablespoon of butter to your eggs, use more salad dressing, put cheese on your sandwich. If you'd rather have something with more volume, just eat an extra portion of chicken or even an extra snack throughout the day :) Good luck!
    I would like to weed out the junk and taken in more good. I have been off Mountain Dew for three days now and although it comes to mind, the taste is now to sweet for me. Since then I have not really wanted anything like chips or fast food. I want to cut out one thing at a time so I am not overwhelmed. I don't know if I fully trust calories count but I do you MYF for a food diary to keep me in check. I lover eggs so I might just try the butter for breakfast tomorrow. I normally put spinach and a bit of cheese in it when I do; it's been a long time since I have cooked eggs. Thank you:)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

you should be able to. you can get frozen zucchini. you may have to blanch it a little first(look up how to do that). but it should be easy to do
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Just eat more. Instead of 4 oz of meat at dinner, go for 6. Instead of a half tablespoon of olive oil, have a whole tablespoon. Etc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member

thanks for posting this! I may look into freezing them myself! Zucchini is expensive out of season!

Frozen zucchini is a bit mushier than fresh zucchini and I imagine zoodles would be the same. Try it and see if you like the result.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

Frozen zucchini is a bit mushier than fresh zucchini and I imagine zoodles would be the same. Try it and see if you like the result.

Zucchini noodles really are amazing. You can also dehydrate them for when they're out of season. It takes a bit more of them to get back up to a decent amount since they are mostly water, but when they do, they have a texture much closer to regular noodles, too. And they can live for a LOOOONG time in a jar!